Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Hi everyone,  yesterday & this morning got started on the blower.  I still have the small .4mm cuts to make to attain the 9 ribs I want for this.  I'm figuring that's 2+ hours as cutting those are tedious due to the fragile nature of the tiny end mills.  These are just some quick shots of in progress.  If I can get the blower body to be acceptable, I'll have a base plate to machine and the front & rear covers for 4 individual pieces in all.   cheers, tim

DSC 0010

Please remember this is before any clean-up and polishing.  thanx!

DSC 0023

Well, kinda there Chris.  I got the 9 ribs cut in today and I'm pleased with how they look on the blower.  Twice as long to do it as I had originally thought.  What I'm not wild about is the radius where it meets the side cut.  I think to avoid that I should have used a smaller end mill and off set it a bit from the center itself.  Not sure if that makes sense.  So, do I try that or polish it and call it done knowing that when polished it won't be as noticeable.  I'm leaning towards polishing otherwise several more hours with no guarantee that it would work and I just turn it into a pile of scrap instead.  The pics don't show how nice the smaller ribs look unfortunately which is why I want to ponder it a bit more.  cheers, tim

DSC 0013

This pic gives a better idea of what it looks like i think.

DSC 0039

Edited by Codi

Amazing work Tim... That Blower case looks killer. Man that is a hard decision on what to do. I completely follow what you are saying about using a smaller end mil. You could polish it as is and see if you like it or if you think you will be happier with a smaller radius. But I don't know if I would risk it but the risk could be worth it if it would make you happier...lol I think it looks great. I would give it quick polish while its still set up and see what you think that way you don't have to re-indicate everything in again. Nice work Tim... You are the Man and up there with the top few builders.

Thanks guys.  Chris, you know me too well, of course I went back and fiddled with it most of the morning and got it to a point where I could pull it off the mill for some "clean-up".   The pics are pretty much as it sits and I'm pleased enough with it to move onto the other blower components that I'll have to make.  I'll drill some holes in the blower body as needed and then part it off.  Thanks too for following along, the blower and fuel injectors took me a lot longer than my guesstimate but I was going through what components I have yet to machine for the build and they're down to about a half dozen, it should move along faster..........hopefully.   Cheers

DSC 0022

Edited by Codi

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from family vacation. Got the blower body parted off and a few quick mock-up pics.....next is the blower base, front and rear covers and almost ready for some final assembly of some of the motor.  cheers, tim

DSC 0036

Edited by Codi

MANY thanks to each of you.  Couple pics of the blower base plate that I machined.  Took 2 attempts to get it right as the tolerances were down to .1mm in some portions. I machined the plate with holes in it, then added s/steel tube & T2M bolts installed......the rear finned blower plate with bearing cover is next.  Inching up on it.  Again thank you!!   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0006

Edited by Codi

Tim, Dude !! I had to go back to the previous update before it hit me what was actually added.

It's usually one piece in plastic, but now I understand why it had to be done that way in metal.

Bring on the end plates. We all know they will be amazing.