Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thanks for the clamp picture. I see a purchase coming up. In looking at this, it seems to also be called a peg clamp, universal work holder or a watch holder's clamp. Some are designed to be hand held and others have a stand. Which have you found to be most helpful?

Edited by iBorg

What's truly remarkable is that I keep zooming in further and further and there is absolutely zero loss of fidelity. Normally you don't have to zoom in far at all before you see ragged edges, file/tool marks, etc. I find it almost impossible to believe that this is 1/25 as there are plenty of large scale models that can't stand up to that kind of scrutiny. Well done sir, well done! There's a handful of models/modelers that are truly inspirational and you are without a doubt one of those rare,  blessed souls. Keep up the excellent modeling as there's a bunch of us out here that are becoming addicted to your updates! 

Whoa. Thanks to each of you that have, or haven't posted comments on the build but continue following along.  Your interest in the car means a lot as your comments make clear how much you appreciate what I'm trying to create with this car.  My original goal was to complete it around Labor Day but it's obvious that has slipped by 8 months or so as best as I can figure right now.  I'll push towards completion so I can get back on & finish the "Henry" project.    Sincerely, Tim

Thank you Peter and for following along too. 

Today I took a little time at the bench and made a functioning gas cap.  Don't ask me why cause i have no reason other than I wanted to see if I could.  There were 3 pieces I made.  The cap itself, the threaded cap neck which I drilled out in the center & soldered it to the cap. Lastly the filler tube was tapped to accept the cap. I'll solder the filler tube into the tank but that's for next week.  I added a micro rubber gasket which does a suitable job of replicating a gasket.  cheers, Tim

DSC 0014

DSC 0022

DSC 0018

Edited by Codi

Tim... Holy Smokes that has to be the best gas cap ever..... Just to see if you could, I am beginning to wonder if you made the tank to hold some Nitro to fire this bad boy up. I really need to consider to quit posting and building after seeing this. I am so blown away by your incredible work. You continue to raise the bar on each of us every time you post. It's a pleasure to watch you build and see this come together. Looking forward to the next update already.

Thank you everyone.  

Pete, I tapped / drilled it with 1-72.   The tank neck is 3/32" brass as an fyi.     Started work on the grille / tank.  cheers, tim

Ok, just dropped a buck and a quarter on a set of micro tap and dies!:blink:  Got to keep up with the Jones's.  Or would that be the Tim and Randy's?:lol:

Edited by Pete J.

Pete, you mean keep up with Randy, he's in a league all his own.  

So, a gas cap is useless unless it has a tank to plug.  Originally I fabricated a brass tear drop style tank for the build but after doing more than a few mock-ups, I just didn't care for the "cyclops" effect and was concerned that it might take away from the front of the car.  So the new design was a traditional radiator grille with a tank built into it.  The polished aluminum piece is the tank with a corner radius on the top & sides and front and back. The tank is 5.0mm wide and the grille is 3.4mm.  I wanted the tank to protrude front and rear for effect and I thought the radius on the corners would add something too.  I didn't have any 3.4mm brass strip so you'll see in the first pick that I machined some to proper width.  The top portion of the grill I machined in brass and drilled the hole for the fuel neck.  Soldered & cleaned it up up.  I'll leave the tank polished aluminum and the grill (in brass) I'll paint to match the body which will be Kandy Red & Gold as per the pics I posted earlier.  I think that adding some color to the front end of the chassis will give some "balance" too.  So, if anyone has a need for a copper fuel tank, let me know.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0002

DSC 0009

DSC 0025

DSC 0029

DSC 0036

I think I'm going to be ill. Holey schnikies, that is suburb Tim. Were you a machinist in your former life?  I could not figure out what you had put on the front of the tank until I realized it was a reflection of the cap. Threw me off for a bit.

Edited by gasser59

Many thanks again fellas.  This week was one of those weeks that if I measured the productivity by pieces produced, I'd rate it a 2. I want to thank Dave (comp1839) for sharing his knowledge while answering my questions that at times must seem just stupid.  He has incredible patience.   I detailed the tank with various fittings such as vent tube, lowered the filler neck, added brackets on the sides to secure it to the chassis with a couple of braces etc.  All of that required various tabs and brackets to be fabricated or altered and added to the chassis. While working on the tank I spent some time making about half a dozen important fuel fittings for the car.  My intent is to use hard lines for fuel throughout.  I had to fab them out of various brass tube, rod and odds and ends. No pics of those yet but just making those took half of my bench time.  The Enderle fuel pump is next on the list which I'm going to make of brass primarily and alum. too.  If I can pull that piece off, the engine will be basically completed and ready for prep & assembly.  cheers, tim

DSC 0011

DSC 0023

DSC 0033

Edited by Codi