Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim, it looks stunning! It will match the work on the engine perfectly.  One piece of advise though.  Never measure the success of a week in the number of parts you produce.  Measure it in the pleasure you got from what you produced.  You can have a very successful week and only make one part.  It is not about how much you make, but the quality of what comes out of the shop.  I would gladly have a single Rolls Royce as opposed to 100 Kia's. ;)

As always, a thanks for following along and your interest in the thread.  I do have to acknowledge that today's efforts were challenging thanks to the small factor of the part.  Pete, I completely agree but I do get frustrated at times when I turn my head and then look back and a bunch of super talented builders have completed this, that AND the other thing, while I turn out a little at a time. 

Today I started the Enderle fuel pump.  I wanted to capture the 6 ribs on the body of the pump, mine are .4mm x 1.0mm in length.  I drilled holes down through the top and then machined half of it away to expose half of the hole afterwards.  Put the brass rod down through the top and soldered them in place.

Several flanges to make yet, 1 brass, 2  aluminum for the pump body. Then I'll solder the brass bottom flange onto the pump & media blast it for texture like the Cirello mag body.  It will be painted but the aluminum flanges won't.  There are a bunch of little bits and pieces to make up this whole thing, I underestimated how much effort it will take to make I think.  What else is new right?  cheers, tim

DSC 0001

DSC 0009DSC 0004

Holly Cow!  That is incredible Tim!  I must say I truly enjoy seeing what you can possibly spot on the real thing and then turn around and make it....I am pretty sure when your eligible for the Hall of Fame you will make it in on the first ballot!

Just found this thread and....................

Sorry.         I fainted.

Tell the truth.........you're taking full size real car part's and putting them in some sort of "miniaturizing machine"  aint ya????

That's the ONLY explanation I can wrap my mind around...... ( otherwise it means I have been using rocks and twigs for the past 40 years.)

Let me know when you add the gas....... I want to see it run the "Scale Quarter Mile"      :) 

Dave, glad you like it so far.  Lets just wait to see how the rest of it goes as I check another one off the list of parts to make soon. 

Pete & Brad, I can't take credit for that method, it was something I learned from Dave.  thanks too!

Tim - glad to see you checked it out and I appreciate your comment. Give me another 7 or so months and this one will be done, weather permitting for paint of course. 

Bob, I can always count on you to count the parts, I never really think about that to be honest as I fab something but it makes me smile when you remind me what's in it.  Come the weekend I should have pics of the completed pump and it's valves.         Cheers guys! 

Tim... You continue to raise the bar for the rest of us. You are truly in a league of your own with this top notch Craftsmanship and talent. Each update continues to impress me. You need not to get discouraged by the amount of parts you are making compared to others. You have to remember that you are making everything from scratch and that there is a lot more work and time that goes into that..... the planning, figuring out how you want to approach a part, how to set it up in your mill, designing the part on paper....etc I could go on. The quality of work you put out blows me away. Some of the best work around here. I just hope some day that I will be able to machine parts like a few of you guys do around here with the results you guys pull off. I will be looking forward to seeing the fabrication completed on this fuel pump.

Chris, I go back and check out YOUR Vega all the time.  I see details in your pics that I try to capture or I'm reminded to add them when I would have likely overlooked them.  You're a great guy and builder Chris and we're all looking forward to more of your creations. 

Randy, just remember I am the President of the Randy D. fan club so if it's all the same to you, I really have to have something to present at the next fan club meeting and you've not been giving me anything new to discuss or share.  hint-hint..........  :)

Today was a productive one. Pump body is pretty much done the aluminum flanges aren't secured just yet as I've still got to media blast the pump. A few pics to share.  cheers, tim

DSC 0054

Here you can see the pump neck and the aluminum flange that the pump attaches to.

DSC 0047

Nothing has been permanently attached, just 2 mock-up pics.  Barrel valve, return line fittings and a few other details to address and this will be done.  Cheers!!!

DSC 0013

DSC 0002

When I open this amazing thread and look at the new progress pictures, I just nod my head back and forth with my mouth agape as I stare in amazement. Then I go back through the photos another time studying every detail. Tim - you are a true craftsman in every sense of the word. I've always enjoyed working with metal but you take this so much further than just working with metal. You set the bar beyond reach of us mere mortals. You are a true metal mastersmith craftsman. We're not worthy.  :lol:

Tim... This fuel pump just Rocks my friend!!!! and that fuel pump neck is just killer. I love how you media blasted it to give it a casting look. I really like that. I may have to steal that idea and ask what the set up is or the tool you purchased for that. I have seen some miniature media blast guns at Micro Mark. Your work is really inspiring and its making me want to get to the bench. I do appreciate the kind words and you checking the pics out on the Vega. I should have an update for you here real soon. I was able to get a couple piece repainted and just haven't had time to install them. Yow know how bad I want to get the Vega done so I can start on some other really cool builds. Plus your's and a few others brass work has really inspired me to go with a Brass chassis on the next project.

Yeah Dave, you're to blame for the madness.   :)   Thanks as always for sharing your insights with me too! 

Brad, as I gather more experience, the more fun it's becoming. Making far fewer mistakes..............not to mean that I'm not making mistakes, I assure you I am.  Just fewer of them.  YEAH!!

Chris, I can't wait to see what you can do in the new couple of years with your mill. No doubt you'll catch onto it quickly, then you'll be hooked for sure.  thanks too for the comments.

Thank YOU Dave for always stopping by. 

Well, I'm no plumber and I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want to be one either. But I did get started on the fuel pump plumbing and after making some good headway the last couple days, I can now envision it a whole lot better.  More tedious fittings etc. to add but the pieces I fabricated in brass are a big step to getting this part finished.  cheers, tim

DSC 0028

Gratuitous penny shot

DSC 0015

DSC 0040

Ok, now I have to ask a question!!!! Tim, do you get ANY sleep at night???? Or do you lay there thinking of ways to machine this or that??

That and I keep asking Teresi and he won't answer me, but where are you guys getting these life size coins to put next to your real cars?????? Man I want to get one!!!!!!!! :P

Seriously, This is one wicked build!!!!!!!!! Looks greater than great!!!!!!!

Tim.......this is just SUPERB work .........just un-beliveable work.......

just a little note to DrKerry..........thank you for the kind words,I do sleep at night ....... but,yes I do lay in bed at night thinking of how I can make something......but,I am not even close to what Codi can do ........" I`m just a squirrel in Codi`s world , trying to get a nut" :D

Tim... It looks like you are a natural when it come to plumbing just like you are with your Machining skills. I love what you are doing with the fittings and fuel pump. It is sure coming to life. Keep.up the awesome work. I am looking forward to making some chips here soon after the F/C is finished. Hope I can make some pieces as nice and you and Dave.