Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Brief update.  I got the pump body media blasted and some of the fittings going on.  Did a quick mock-up, nothings permanently secured yet to check for coloration etc. Tricky part drilling the hole in the shut off valve extension. The brass body that the cable passes through is .5mm.  I used Hiroboy spring cable with a .2mm nickel silver piece inserted. I've got some brackets to make and a couple more fitting things to finish then I'll finalize the colors and assemble it.  Getting closer though.  cheers, tim

DSC 0042

DSC 0047

Tim... Wow my Friend, that is some beautiful work you got there. It's so darn impressive and to think how much smaller things are in 1/25th Scale. You are nailing these details. I would be extremely proud. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next post.

Boom!  Mike hits the floor!  You've done it again Tim.  If you show this model at a show, you must put an album together to place next to it.  Otherwise people are likely to not understand the level

of craftsmanship and work that has gone into this. 

Edited by Pete J.

Chris - I got a whiff of "Chris Flu" and tore it apart and re-worked it.  Got it done now but spent another 15+ hours on it.  I think I'm about 35 hours or so all in on this part.  I TOTALLY underestimated the effort this was going to take.  You have my utmost respect on how you did your Vega pump assembly!! 

Pete - Hopefully you like the re-vamped pump v. the earlier pics.  

Randy - Still got nothing on you but I proved to myself on this part that I can still "do tedious" when it becomes necessary.  :)

Dave - Thanks sir.

Art - Appreciated man.  Not a hilborn however, I modeled it after the Enderle 110 pump.  Thank you for the nice sentiments!!!   

Mr. Dave - Thanks sir, you kinda beat me to the final pics of it.  Completed now and onto the next item on the list.  Always appreciate your stopping by and checking it out.  For those of you that have seen Dave's 37' Chevy before, be sure to check out his recent pics in his Fotki album, that BEAST is really moving along now and I'm sure you'll like it as much as I do.   

Completed Pump Pics -

DSC 0067

DSC 0029

DSC 0040

Tim... Awesome work my friend. That fuel pump Assembly is gorgeous! I know the labor pains all to well on tearing something down and redoing it all. I have a lot of respect for you on how you have approached this whole build. Every little Sub-Assembly is a model of its own. It is so easy to underestimate how much time it will take building something at this Caliber. The extra time and work is well worth it when you know you are satisfied and happy with it. Continue what you are doing. Loving your work.

Edited by Mooneyzs

OK...Tim. You need to state a disclaimer before showing your progress photos. I thought I was going to need to call the paramedics. Warn a guy will ya??

That fuel pump has more detail than a full size one. I know what I'll be using for reference when I go to simulate a real one. Kudos.

Puttering around on the bench today & I thought I'd try to do some proper clamps for the main fuel line.  There's a flexible rubber hose that will join the main tank line to the fuel pump.  The material for the hose that was the closest to the real thing I could find was some black shrink tube.  To make the bend I'll insert a used watch spring inside so it won't collapse.  The 4 clamps are 1.7mm diameter brass tube with .5mm tube soldered on top.  I then thinned them down to size, cleaned them up and nickel plated them.  Lastly I inserted a T2M bolt to simulate the real thing.  cheers, tim

DSC 0111

DSC 0095

I would not normally post a photo on someone else's thread, but this time I couldn't resist. A friend of mine took this as Escondido's Crusin Grand.  This is a heck of a comparison to the work you are doing Tim.  Put your work side by side with this and I think most people would have trouble deciding which is the model and which is the real deal!  Makes your work look all the better!

hemi for cody 2.jpg

Many thanks to each of you that posted. I don't want to appear rude and not acknowledge each of you individually but I for the sake of some brevity on this thread, I'll just say a big ol' thank you to each and every one of you!!   For those that have just peeked in, thanks for following along. 

More puttering.  Brake lines are next then body work, firewall and brackets for mounting the body.  Before moving on I took some time this weekend to fab up some tabs and brackets for the chutes & fuel cut-off.  The fuel cut-off "T" handle is actually made up of a piece of brass rod & brass tube then painted Testors Guards Red. Put the handbrake in the pics too.  All of the tabs / brackets on the car are soldered on. I've gotten pretty confident in my soldering skills now wherein I'm not as concerned about loosening other joints etc. while putting on new ones.  Everything on this build has either been flame soldered (sweat soldered I believe it's also referred to) and my American Beauty resistance soldering rig.  I document a lot for my own benefit for when final assembly commences.  I'll print out my own pics and scribble notes on it so I know what I planned for in advance. Sorry, a few nuts to put on the brackets you see and then they'll be ready for final.  Cheers to one and all!  tim

DSC 0005

DSC 0028

Edited by Codi

Tim... You continue to amaze me with each update. Those little details are just amazing my friend. I can't wait to play with some brass chassis's and tabs like you have been. Your work is so inspiring. Is that a fine cable for the parachute release you are using? If so what size and where did you find it. Keep up the great work on this.