Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim... I am starting to think that I am not quite so nuts after all... Or maybe that there is just someone as crazy a me out there...LOL Dude you have crushed this out of the park. Nice work on the fuel distribution blocks. I can only imagine how tuff it really was to set things up. Its looking Stellar My friend!! Keep up the great work.

Thank you guys.  I think that the time it took me to do the fuel blocks I can get the blower made, or at least get close.  I spent time experimenting on how to make one today and I'm going for a 9 rib design as I always liked them from that time period.  Cut some ribs in and tried a quick way of doing the blower. Epic fail.  You can see in pic 2 that the profile is all wrong.  I've got a way to fix that and the tools to do it I believe.  I'll do the butterflies next to finish up the Crower and then jump on this.  Pete, I'll document with pics what I'm going to do as I go along.   Cheers fellas! Tim

Blower Experiement

DSC 0010

Edited by Codi

Tim, it looks like the same problem I am trying to conquer.  That shape doesn't make it easy.  The fact that it looks like two half circles on the edge of a rectangle has me a bit baffled.  I think mine is shorter with a tighter radius.  Humm, perhaps three parts? :wacko:

Edited by Pete J.

Pete, yup, thought I had it figured out but in re-thinking it, I don't.  I'm going to try another path that might be much closer. Just some more time in the "lab" is all. 

Paul, I've been running that through my mind too exactly the way you're describing it.  I know I could do it that way but it would be quite a bit of effort.  I'll call that one plan "c".   :) 

Thank you Mike, I'm pleased so far with how it looks, should be really cool when I get the butterflies made and installed along with the other fuel lines/nozzles.  

Tim... awesome start on the blower. I know that you can nail this.  Hey another suggestion but not sure if this is what you used to machine the radius or not but what if you use a corner rounding end mill? Just a thought to get that radius. If you need the radius, I can look it up on the CAD model I did for the Blower. Keep up the great work on this awesome build.

Thanks Chris, that was / is my plan "b".  I took some Renshape that I had laying around that was close to what I needed.  I have corner radius cutters and the right one to do the blower, thanks for the offer though.  What I wanted to confirm was how to go about cutting in the ribs with a given radius while maintaining a consistent depth in the radius and down the sides.  I didn't use a corner radius on this test just to save some time.  The time spent figuring it out was worthwhile & with Renshape I could work quickly as compared to cutting metal with the tiny end mills this will require.  The ribs you see in the pic were somewhat square when I took it off the mill and i rounded the edges with a sanding stick ever so slightly which is why it doesn't show the "crispness" it had when I pulled it off the mill.  This is a path worth pursuing but I've got to draw it up properly 1st and order an end mill that I don't have at present.   cheers, tim

Blower Experiment 2

Tim, I am so appreciative of this thread. It definitely motivates me to try harder and be a little more meticulous. You're doing just amazing work, to a level, that, frankly, I'm not willing to go to yet, but it is still incredibly inspiring. Now that the GSL is over, I'm getting the midget back out and already see some ideas from your thread I want to apply! Sure hope to see you in SLC in 2019!

-Art

Art, my sincerest thank you for the VERY kind comments.  I just checked out your brass midget and can't wait to see your progress.  While I wait for some end mills to arrive to do the blower, I got it drawn up and wanted to clean up some odds and ends. The butterflies were on the list so I machined them and did a mock-up but I've not permanently affixed them yet.  cheers, tim

DSC 0015

DSC 0033

Edited by Codi

Thanks Chris, that was / is my plan "b".  I took some Renshape that I had laying around that was close to what I needed.  I have corner radius cutters and the right one to do the blower, thanks for the offer though.  What I wanted to confirm was how to go about cutting in the ribs with a given radius while maintaining a consistent depth in the radius and down the sides.  I didn't use a corner radius on this test just to save some time.  The time spent figuring it out was worthwhile & with Renshape I could work quickly as compared to cutting metal with the tiny end mills this will require.  The ribs you see in the pic were somewhat square when I took it off the mill and i rounded the edges with a sanding stick ever so slightly which is why it doesn't show the "crispness" it had when I pulled it off the mill.  This is a path worth pursuing but I've got to draw it up properly 1st and order an end mill that I don't have at present.   cheers, tim

Blower Experiment 2

Tim, the rotary table may work for you but may require a stop of some sort so you don't go past the top of the case into the injector seat so to speak. Maybe machine the side of the case recess that is flat before the radius with the rotary table locked at 0 deg and once those are done you can rotate the case at the radius to machine the rest of the recess using the stop for repeatability. (took me a minute to think of what I am trying to say and it may still not make sense but only in my mind lol)

Paul

Bob, I think when I get it done it should have somewhere close to 60 or bits & pieces, still nothing like Randy D's weber though. 

Dave, I don't know if your head would hurt from making this but I know your eyes would make things a bit out of focus for a while after you're done.   Thanks too!

Paul, my being "sloppy" on the practice piece.  I know what you're speaking of though and it's appreciated.  I have to machine a small .5mm tall area on top of the blower for the Crower which you don't see.  I know when I sit down to machine this it is going to be a mental exercise.  I'm figuring on a 5 to 6 hour operation so hopefully it will turn out.  cheers everyone!!! 

Tim, I figured it out.... the location of the radius needs to be in relation to the rotor location. So the case will need to be offsetin the rotary table for the radius to be correct since the cases are oblong and not round. So the case will have to be offset in the rotary table for each side using the centerline of the rotor.  Then you can machine the ribs and the recess with a regular end mill and the depth of the recess would be uniform.

Bob, I think when I get it done it should have somewhere close to 60 or bits & pieces, still nothing like Randy D's weber though. 

Dave, I don't know if your head would hurt from making this but I know your eyes would make things a bit out of focus for a while after you're done.   Thanks too!

Paul, my being "sloppy" on the practice piece.  I know what you're speaking of though and it's appreciated.  I have to machine a small .5mm tall area on top of the blower for the Crower which you don't see.  I know when I sit down to machine this it is going to be a mental exercise.  I'm figuring on a 5 to 6 hour operation so hopefully it will turn out.  cheers everyone!!! 

Edited by mr68gts
Grammer

Appreciate the sentiments John & Dan.  Paul, I actually did what you're describing on the sample one too, I know it will work that way but I wasn't particularly worried about those uneven cuts for that reason.  Thanks for burning the neurons trying to help me out!!  

Still waiting on some end mills to start the blower so I'm looking ahead at engine assembly in the not too distant future. I've to be able to align the pulleys, blower manifold etc. properly so I came up with a simple design for the actual assembly of it all.  I wanted to be able to get the crank pulley past the edge of the stand as it will hang lower than that. Machined a groove for the crank girdle to rest in and can easily slip the crank "pin" that secures the engine with a knurled brass screw.  I'll bolt the whole thing to my chassis jig with 2 screws when it's time to assemble.  cheers

DSC 0006

DSC 0003

Edited by Codi