Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Great googly moogly!!! That is an awesome set up and I can see why you "borrowed" it from Dave. That is slick and your work is so clean and precise. I see in one of the pictures the steering arms but not in the last two. They must not be attached?

tim, absolutely stunning craftsmanship. extraordinarily clean work. i'm guessing the shock mounts will have to be custom made. will you be fabbing the four bar and panhard bar brackets?

stupendous doesn't begin to describe this!!!!!

First Brad said, "Great Googly Moogly!!!

Then Dave said, "Absolutely stunning craftsmanship. extraordinarily clean work. 

Then Joe said, "What are they talking about?" Then Joe went back one page to look at the pics.

But I think Leonard said it best on Big Bang. "You're one lab accident away from becoming an evil genius."

Pete - Thank you, making them was actually pretty straightforward & I'm pretty confident now that when it's complete and off the jig, it will sit flat (it better right?)  and be properly aligned etc.  Oh, the reason for the shiny brass, I had to solder the thing up so I scuffed it with sandpaper 1st..........it IS shiny though.  Thanks again & how are you making out with those valve cover clips?  Maybe a pic at least of what you're making?   I'm very curious as I know they must be extremely tiny. 

Brad - I wanted to share that the 1st pic is from behind the axle. I took the pic with the tie rod brackets (.3mm) in place but you're right, they are not soldered on as yet.  The reason being I want to try custom ones that were pretty cool looking from that time period but to get the proper ride height for the axle with the wheels in place I had to put them on.  I think of them as "spacers" at this point.  Does that make sense?  And btw, you don't miss a "trick". 

Davewilly & Bob, also appreciated guys! 

Dave (comp1839) Thank YOU for the idea in the first place. This will help me a bunch on the rest of the front end.  You are also correct that most if not all of the remaining brackets will be scratch / custom in nature.  I have a really cool idea in mind for the chassis shock towers but it might be more effort than what it's worth. 

Joe - Keep that humor coming, love it.  I know that episode you're speaking of and it's a classic.  I can't take credit though for what was not my idea in the first place but I DO appreciate your comments & humor.    

Next step is to put down fresh graph paper, confirm all alignments, set the jig & then begin the rest of it which will include some experimenting on how to fab some parts & drawing up some custom pieces but first it's back to "spring break" with the kids.   Cheers !!  

Tim... Holy Smokes my friend. ... you have me so impressed with your front axle set up. I love your work, that Axle is looking seller my friend. I may just have to borrow your jig set up. You have set the bar so high for the rest of us. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Every update is a treat for us.

Mike, I'd love to see the pics.............I've sent you a PM.    Your encouraging words are most welcome! 

Chris, are you going to DSC this year as planned?   Thanks too for the comments.    cheers guys!

Thanks Randy, saw your new site btw, looking good and I'll sign up soon for future updates.  You're off and running now.

Chris, hope you make it, even if the build doesn't.   Have fun.

This morning I got the tie rod brackets done, quick mock-up.  The first pic was kind of what I was going for, I liked the curves/shape of the bracket and more importantly it positions it out of the way of the panhard bar & shocks eventually.  No machining these buggers. The curved part is 1.0mm rod and the top soldered piece is 1.2mm tube to attach that the pin will go through and the bolt hole for the tie-rod itself was a #79 bit.   This pic shows what I was hoping to emulate to some degree of accuracy.

DSC 0055

DSC 0013

DSC 0037

Great oogly googly moogly!! Swoopy tie rods indeed. Those are some seriously sweet tie rods. I can't imagine the patience that took.Also looks like they may be relatively close to the ground depending on your tire height unless the jig you have the axle posed with shows actual ride height.

Edited by gasser59

I want to thank Magic Photos  for the fantastic pics he sent me on the Tramp altered.  These are pics that you can only get by seeing a car in person.  Priceless and of great quality.  Thanks again!

Pete, 2 pieces soldered together.

Brad, the bottom of the rod is a hair over 6" in scale off the ground.  If you look at the pic of the 1:1 I posted, you can see how low to the ground that bracket is / ends to the ground.   All good.

Thanks too Brad & Dave, and yes Dave, a fair amount to do yet on this part of the build.   I'm optimistic it will be pretty cool when done though.   cheers

Edited by Codi

Sorry for the pause in posting.  Been sick and stuff. 

Chris, thanks man, have fun at the DSC too! 

Dave, also thanks, that's stainless steel tube btw.

Mike, thanks again sir!  For everything.

Mike, there are just some things that can't be replicated in plastic.  Glad you like it too! 

Randy, appreciated as well.........but I am oh so getting impatient for ANY kind of update on ANY of your projects.....throw a guy a bone would ya'?   

The only thing I got done this week was the shock towers but I'm happy that they turned out the way I'd hoped. The look was 2 sides to each shock tower joined together with welded (in my case soldered) tube in between therefore a gap all the way around for some perspective.  After machining a general shape I super glued all 4 brackets together to shape them with some sanding sticks. Then I heated them to separate them, cleaned em' up and soldered them together.  They are NOT soldered onto the chassis as of yet.  This was a big step though towards completing the front suspension.  Cheers, tim

On the mill

DSC 0004 (2)

Before shaping and soldering

DSC 0009 (2)

Just resting on top of the rails for a quick mock-up.

DSC 0016

What it's going to look like, very quick mock-up.

DSC 0035