Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thanks so much fellas. I got the remaining tabs on the chassis that I wanted to get on before moving onto the next part.  I've gotten a decent start on the hubs, the rotors are done and then I'll get onto the calipers and caliper bracketry.  Not ready to post those pics just yet but I took a detour today and fiddled around with making a more accurate Crower blower scoop for the 8 port injection.  In the 2 pics you'll see some plastic / resin pieces that I had in the parts box but I wasn't satisfied with their level of accuracy.  The brass one I made was my 3rd attempt and I might attempt one more.  Mine still needs the back portion formed and soldered on, the 5 ribs on the top of the scoop added and the bottom portion that meets up with the injectors themselves.  My plan is make that plate separately after I complete the Crower 8 port injectors.  I'll cut out the bottom of the scoop and solder on the matching plate to wrap it up.  It's closer I think to the real one and I never realized some of the little styling cues that the real one had until I studied a bunch of photos.  The brass one I made by the way  was made of special oblong brass stock, then cut at various angles and soldered the 4 different seams together.  This kind of stuff is a lot of fun to make and offers a nice break from machining from time to time.  cheers, tim

DSC 0007

DSC 0004

Tim, maybe you can explain this because I can't.  Why is there so much pleasure in doing something over again until you finally get it the way you want it?  I don't now.  I am on my fourth try on some clips and am enjoying each try.  I assume that you do too!

Very nice brass work!  Keep it coming. 

Edited by Pete J.

Tim, maybe you can explain this because I can't.  Why is there so much pleasure in doing something over again until you finally get it the way you want it?  I don't now.  I am on my fourth try on some clips and am enjoying each try.  I assume that you do too!

Very nice brass work!  Keep it coming. 

Because we are masochists lol.... and we keep coming back for more ha ha

Pete & Paul, yeah because we're nuts.  I know I am anyways but I have an idea or 2 on how to shape the back end of the scoop.  This little bugger, if I can get it right, will probably be 20 + hours when all is said and done.  we'll see.  

Ray, Dave, Chris, Dave S. & John, thanks for the comments and interest.  Today I made some headway on the hubs to go with the rotors. There is a 5 degree taper to the hubs front to back and I cut 12 grooves into the hubs so I can add .4mm nickel silver rod to replicate the raised ribs on the hub.  I did a test fit to the wheel centers with only a little tweeking they fitted up properly.  I hope to get the ribs and the axle studs installed tomorrow so I can get onto the calipers and their support brackets.  Pic one shows the hub on the mill while I'm putting the rib slots in it.  When these are done I'll move right onto the front suspension so I can get her on all 4 wheels finally.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0005

DSC 0026

someone said ribs? I come with a gallon jug of Sweet baby rays BBQ sauce.... I see ribs! but not bbq'd, don't mess with a mans appetite! come on man... lol

Can't say enough about the work you are doing! Definitely going to be a sweet model with a ton of details once completed! I'll refrain from putting BBQ sauce all over your parts :)

Brad & Dave...thanks guys.    

Joe, WAY too funny sir.  I still laughed when I read it again.   thanks !

Paul (mr68gts) this post is a quick THANK YOU for the effort you put forth on the Lenco trans we discussed.  As a brief background in 1/25th scale there are resin & kit lenco transmissions available to us.  There is a TDR Lenco that is a modern C3 copy.  It's nice but I'm building a car from the mid-70's and that trans didn't exist at that time.  This is where Paul comes in.  He had rendered a really nice 1/16th / 1/12th scale Lenco CS-1, which was the first trans that Lenco introduced specifically for drag racing (my understanding btw)  and it's a big larger, heavier and stronger than the C3.  Paul can correct me on that if I'm wrong.  Anyways, I asked Paul if he'd re-size his CS1 to 1/25th scale for me.  He responded and now has it available thru TDR / Shapeways.  They arrived last night and I quickly mocked up one.  For my particular build I ordered it as a 2 speed with reverse.  The material is the Ultra frosted detail and with a little more clean up and drilling out some bolt holes, I have a really nice trans to add to my build.  The smaller, primered trans next to the CS1 is the C3 trans as a comparison.  Oh, price was $8.25  per trans.  Thanks again Paul!!  

DSC 0008