Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thanks everyone, I think they're going to look pretty trick when all is done and assembled. 

To answer Pete & Mike's questions, I used a .5mm slitting saw on the mill to cut them off. Each is .36mm in thickness which is very close to the thickness of the photo-etch pieces I've used on this build. I made custom brackets as there are no available PE pieces for me to use. As Dave (comp1839) noted earlier, most of the brackets / tabs will be custom in nature due to the uniqueness of what I'm trying to copy.  Makes a heck of a mess on the mill "parting" them off this way with the shavings & cutting oil all over the place..........that's a 30 minute tear down / clean-up I don't relish.  Thanks for the questions too!   cheers

Hey Paul, I use stuff called "BurLife" by RioGrande Jewelry supply.  Part number is 117-983.  I apply it with either a glue wand (when drilling tiny holes) or a very small brush (when doing using the slitting saw)  as I use a little at a time. It's a very light oil and a little bit goes a long way and it truly does add life to your bits or blades.  I'd probably try something else if I was machining something bigger just due to the cost.  A big bottle lasts me quite a while though.  cheers

Getting closer Dave.  I finished the necessary brackets now I have to drill the chassis for the 4 link brackets and assemble it all.  The only missing piece to fab yet is the panhard bar but I'll get to that after I get the shocks and 4 links in proper position.   Don't laugh at my bracket drawings okay.........promise me!!    cheers, tim

DSC 0070

well, okay, you can laugh Dave if you must.............it's a long ride to Jersey!!   

DSC 0054

DSC 0037DSC 0024

Edited by Codi

Tim... what an awesome update my friend. Love the drawing and the finished product. This thing is gonna blow everything out of the water.  I still have a hard time with the fact that it's 1/25th scale. So much smaller than 1/16th.  Keep up the killer work.

Still here Brad, snuck off with Dave to the NNL  East show. My first in 40+ years and really enjoyed it. I met Leonard as well....super nice guy and he had his Camaro there.  What a nice build, there were quite a few and the vendor areas were packed.

Only the shock towers to put on and the front's done. I'll have those on this week but I was messin' around today looking forward to returning to the engine to finish that part up.  I won't be doing the scoop after all and will do the Crower Injectors with them exposed. I cut up quickly some 2.5mm stainless steel tubes and placed them on top of the blower for giggles & to get an idea as to what it might look like.  I also lowered the engine (this was bugging me for quite a while) by 1.0mm.  Makes a big difference to my eye and I stare at this thing way too much.  Couple quick mock-up pics to verify everything works and fits properly (it does) and now I'll finish up the front suspension.  I'm really anxious to get onto the Crower. The 3D printed manifold & blower were from Chris btw.  I'm going to use the manifold AND the blower if I can't machine the blower design that I want for the car. The pieces are VERY nice that he sent me.  Thanks again Chris!   Couple pics to tide you over Brad.  cheers, tim

DSC 0010

DSC 0017

DSC 0028

Edited by Codi

OOOHHH MYYYY!!!   the minion inside of me just giggled!! or maybe that was that hamburger? hehe..... off the charts tim. completely off the charts!!!!

leonard what a pleasure to see you again on Sat.!!!! the camaro was simply AWESOME!!!  tim and i had a blast. saw some really incredible builds and let me say there are seriously talented painters out there. wish tim would've brought something. you guys really are not getting to see this, until you see it in person!!!!!!!