Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby a great place to go if you're just starting out or getting back in the hobby.

Getting back into the hobby? Check out some of those old kits you remember from the past, a lot of popular kits from years gone by have been reissued. That should put a smile on face.:) Pick up right where you left off. It doesn't get any better than this. Enjoy.;)

While I still purchase most of my supplies and models from a local hobby shop, Hobby Lobby locally offers a wide verity of tools and paint as well as a good selection of models. Depending on what I need I'll purchase some items there, with the 40 % off it's hard to go wrong.

Let's not bash HL too bad, there is a place here for beginners and those of us returning to the hobby. And I gotta admit it is kinda fun looking at all those reissued kits in one place. ;)

I agree 100%. There is no need to bash HL. Like them. And I particularly them even better with 40% off coupon.

Luckily, I have an excellent local hobby shop. But even if it weren't around, I wouldn't give a dime to Hobby Lobby.

Not all of us have a LHS Harry, so we have to use Hobby Lobby as a source. I haven't bought a kit at a LHS in over a year, but online and places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, A.C. Moore and some closeouts at Ollie's have been my go to places. I don't see anyone opening a LHS here in Charlotte anytime soon, given that 2 HobbyTown USA's closed within the last year.

When it comes to supplies, I go to my LHS, i.e today I went to get balsa for my 1/8 Deuce project, and ended up buying $30 of styrene, oh well, at least I have the balsa for the deuce

What are you using balsa for?  Better off with basswood for most model car work

Not all of us have a LHS Harry, so we have to use Hobby Lobby as a source. I haven't bought a kit at a LHS in over a year, but online and places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, A.C. Moore and some closeouts at Ollie's have been my go to places. I don't see anyone opening a LHS here in Charlotte anytime soon, given that 2 HobbyTown USA's closed within the last year.

Michaels and the others I am cool with. Just not the one.

Michaels and the others I am cool with. Just not the one.

I know why he doesn't like them, but we're not allowed to talk about it here.

I don't like them for more personal reasons. When they came to my town a few years ago, I had been out of work for two years and was in desperate need of a job. I applied with HL and got as far as an interview. Not only did I not get the job (apparently), they didn't even have the decency to let me know one way or the other--by phone, mail, or email. This is horribly shabby treatment from someplace that's supposed to be so family-friendly and so forth, IMHO.

So I'll buy from HL but ONLY with a 40% off coupon, or from their clearance shelves at deep discount. They're not my preferred or go-to place for anything, and when I do spend money there, I like to think they're not making any profit off me (or not much).

I rarely go on the one near me. when I do its with a discount coupon.

I am one of the lucky ones. I have to decent hobby shops with a 15 minute drive and I prefer to support them if I can . Be it new kits or supplies .

I haven't bought any newly released kits online in probably 2 or 3 years ( bought a BUNCH  of old annuals though )

OK, I get it, a bunch of you don't like Hobby Lobby for one reason or another, however, isn't it possibly still a viable place for newcomers to our hobby or some one just getting back into the hobby after  several years away, to find a bunch of exciting stuff available today along with tools and supplies all in one place with the bonus of that 40% off coupon ? :)

This kinda reminds me of the multiple show ,swap, hobby things here in Phoenix a few months ago where several people got their panties in a bunch because there were so many going on , not all at the same time mind you.:wacko:

We have the good fortune to have several good Hobby shops, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby's to visit here in the north west Phoenix area and I visit and take advantage of all of them. :)

Edited by Greg Myers

OK, I get it, a bunch of you don't like Hobby Lobby for one reason or another, however, isn't it possibly still a viable place for newcomers to our hobby or some one just getting back into the hobby after  several years away, to find a bunch of exciting stuff available today along with tools and supplies all in one place with the bonus of that 40% off coupon ? :)

Its not that I dislike them, quite the contrary actually. I just choose to support my local hobby shop(s) first if I can

I will go in a HL if they have something I need ( and need it now ) and my LHS doesn't have or can't get in a reasonable time frame . OR like I said when I have a 40% off coupon. I actually picked up one of  the re-issued Ford race car hauler trucks a while back ,,with the discount it was about the same as any online retailer I found for the same kit

Back over the winter I bought a bunch of the discounted metal signs for my down stairs family room re-model project.