Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't do hot rods. Well, maybe I do.

Pete J.

Hot rods are not my thing but I do enjoy the challenge of something different from time to time.  Every once in a while I get my arm twisted and this is one of those times.  The arm twisting came from a club build and I couldn't not do it.

This is a 53 Chevy panel and I decided to start with a six scale inch chop on the top.  It is always a challenge to decide how to make the cuts you need and just where to put them.  In this case the slab side of the panel really had a lot to do with how to do this.  there is a bit of a taper to the body do the centerline cut is slightly tapered to account for that. 

I'm also considering sectioning the body.  I do like a sleeker look.  Well slightly sleeker then a brick.  :lol:

chevy 1.jpg

chevy 4.jpg

chevy 2.jpg

chevy 3.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Nice start here.The chop Is looking really slick.As to whether or not you build hot rods.....it depends on whose set of rules you look at to determine what defines a hot rod.For decades the designation was determined by the year the vehicle was manufactured.That year was always 1948.Any vehicle manufactured up until '48 was a hot rod.'49 and newer was and still is a custom.How many readers remember the column in Rod And Custom Magazine titled "Across 49th Street"?

This should be a great Custom and a fun build to watch develop.Thanks for sharing!

Nice start here.The chop Is looking really slick.As to whether or not you build hot rods.....it depends on whose set of rules you look at to determine what defines a hot rod.For decades the designation was determined by the year the vehicle was manufactured.That year was always 1948.Any vehicle manufactured up until '48 was a hot rod.'49 and newer was and still is a custom.How many readers remember the column in Rod And Custom Magazine titled "Across 49th Street"?

This should be a great Custom and a fun build to watch develop.Thanks for sharing!

Never knew that, but then as I said I don't do hot rods.  To me growing up in the 50's and 60's it always meant someone taking an old and maybe worn-out car and making it go as fast as you could on a budget.  We just referred to it as hot rodding a car but thanks for informing me.   

Any progress on this beaut?

Yup, but just the grunt work part of the build.  Filling in the gaps and sanding it even.  Not pretty but that is what has to be done.  I need to get this done before I go after the sectioning.  Also working on a set of rims and tires. 

SIDE 2.jpg

REAR 1.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Ok, designed and machined the front rims.  Kind of a challenge since they are much thinner.  Same three piece construction but the two metal pieces don't interlock like the rears.  The front metal parts are very thin.  Looking at the picture, it appears that I have some more clean up to do.  :wacko:  Now we have to get them mounted in the chassis and see how the hole thing sits and then I can make a decision about what to do next on the body.

tires and rims done.jpg

Edited by Pete J.