Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Rat...

Intmd8r

My latest WIP for the Community Rat Rod Build.  Not all Rat Rods need to be black, primer, or rusty!

Here's the mock up...

photo image_zps69nlhry1.jpeg photo image_zpsbthehfdl.jpeg photo image_zpslgpsgb4g.jpeg

The final finish will be flat - it is a Rat Rod after all!  I want to apply some decals to give it some attitude, but seem to be stuck on what to use:

1. Found these flame decals in my parts box from the Monogram '32 Ford roadster.  Looks like I can make them work on the Model A body...

photo image_zpsutzuhwcn.jpeg

2. These scallop type decals were designed for the '30-'31 Ford Sedan, so I know that they will looks awesome...

photo image_zpsbxqo1ukh.jpeg

Opinions?

Edited by Intmd8r

My latest WIP for the Community Rat Rod Build.  Not all Rat Rods need to be black, primer, or rusty!

If it's got paint...even flat paint... and isn't made entirely of poorly-assembled, poorly-engineered rusty junk, with jagged edges and bubble gum welds, it's really more of a "traditional" hot-rod than a "rat" rod. 

In the REAL world, most of the guys who build decent looking, functional, painted cars HATE having them referred to as "rats".

Just sayin'.  

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just a suggestion on proportions...this type of car always looks better if the grille shell is pretty close to the centerline of the front axle. 

That may require pushing the engine back in the chassis, moving the axle forward a bit, or both.

Or if you like it as-is, that's OK too. :D

If it's got paint...even flat paint... and isn't made entirely of poorly-assembled, poorly-engineered rusty junk, with jagged edges and bubble gum welds, it's really more of a "traditional" hot-rod than a "rat" rod. 

In the REAL world, most of the guys who build decent looking, functional, painted cars HATE having them referred to as "rats".

Just sayin'.  

Well.... that's one opinion.....

The beauty about a "Rat Rod" or Hot Rods in general is that the definitionis can be subjective.  What a Rad Rot means to me is generally a verison of a Hot Rod that is neither a "Custom show car", or "Traditional" Hot Rod.  To me, it has very little to do with the finish of the body work, but the thought, engeneering, and use of parts to create a ride that gives a raw, uncivilized look.

But that's MY interpretation... that can be a discussion for another forum.....

Do you have any pin stripe decals ? That's just my thought, and leave it shiny.

Thanks for the input. I've been doing a lot of shiny builds lately with my stock of pine stripe decals finding their way into most of them lol.  For this one, I wanted to make something without.  Change it up a bit.... 

I'd go with the scallops as well, I think it'd fit the style better....also, what body/kit are you using for this? I'm liking the look so far!

Thanks! The kit is based on the  Revell '31 Model A Sedan with a Jimmy Flintstone body.  The chassis was reworked to give it the "stance".  The engine is a parst box flat head with resin Ardun heads.  The blower & scoop is from my parts box as well - AMT '40 Ford kit if I'm correct.

I vote scallops!  I have that same body in

a build thread right now.

My bench work is lacking right now, but I

will get back to it soon!

Steve yours is looking great!!

David S.

P.S.- I love that motor!!!!

Edited by mod3l Lover

Just sayin'.  

BINGO!!!!!!! I get so tired of hearing the term rat rod..... It's a Hot Rod plain and simple!!!

Like up here someone took a 77 Plymouth Volare painted it flat black and painted the wheels red and called it a rat rod...... REALLY????:(

Now as a hot rod you've got a great build going there.....

Edited by DrKerry

To me, it has very little to do with the finish of the body work, but the thought, engineering, and use of parts to create a ride that gives a raw, uncivilized look.

I think that's a pretty good definition if you ask me.

How about a Canadian flag decal that fits the door ? 

I think that would be a cool idea.