Model Cars Magazine Forum

Herbie, the Love Bug

ChrisR

This is the Polar Lights model with a few parts from the Hasegawa Beetle and Hobby Design decals. Exterior was panted with Tamiya Racing white and the interior with a mix of Tamiya Red and Hull Red.

DSC_0175_zpsygujibvf.jpg

DSC_0176_zpsdonhhffw.jpg

DSC_0177_zpskresnr43.jpg

DSC_0178_zpsbkypwpyz.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsrisytid7.jpg

Edited by ChrisR
Replace Photobucket pics

its nice, i like it. but somethings still missing - its not looking "racie" enough for me. i would have lowered the chassis, widened the wheel track and modified the wheels to give them a drop center rim look (i hope i googled that correctly).

marchmontpenny2.jpg

but maybe its only, because i like cars wide and low ....

Very nice model of one of my favorite cars of my youth.  I like that you added the missing VW emblems too!

The Polar Lights Herbie is a very nice kit.  It was designed to bridge the gap between an easy to assemble snap kit for beginners and having enough opening parts and details to satisfy more accomplished modelers. Tom Lowe's angle with this kit is that he is a movie/tv memorabilia guy, and along with a lot of Round 2 and prior Playing Mantis releases, were aimed at that huge market.. which is actually much larger than our model car hobby.  The kit, with it's multiple color plastic parts, can be snapped together right out of the box in an hour or so and results in a pleasing replica.  They did this very well and it could be the way kits should be done in the future!

This kit also represents the first time the VW soft top has been modeled in 1/25 or 1/24 scale!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...

This is the Polar Lights model with a few parts from the Hasegawa Beetle and Hobby Design decals. Exterior was panted with Tamiya Racing white and the interior with a mix of Tamiya Red and Hull Red.

DSC_0174_zpsrisytid7.jpg

DSC_0178_zpsbkypwpyz.jpg

DSC_0177_zpskresnr43.jpg

DSC_0175_zpsygujibvf.jpg

DSC_0172_zpsk2oibx58.jpg

DSC_0169_zpsggmd27xi.jpg

DSC_0170_zpsinf2unrx.jpg

DSC_0168_zpsryjm2h8s.jpg

Extremely cool, and well done!!  -after reading the remarks of people suggesting you shoulda did this, or done that, my response would be, "do it your way". ive studied all the movies and discovered that there were numerous Herbies, ALL were slightly different from each other, even when it wasn't suppose to be. I bet when I finish the one I started 10 years ago, people are gonna have a fit, because when I build T.V / movie cars, I take all the things I like about ALL of them and put them together in the same build. You did a fantastic job on this build, keep'em comin!

Extremely cool, and well done!!  -after reading the remarks of people suggesting you shoulda did this, or done that, my response would be, "do it your way". ive studied all the movies and discovered that there were numerous Herbies, ALL were slightly different from each other, even when it wasn't suppose to be. I bet when I finish the one I started 10 years ago, people are gonna have a fit, because when I build T.V / movie cars, I take all the things I like about ALL of them and put them together in the same build. You did a fantastic job on this build, keep'em comin!

I agree with Dan, good job! 

• 7 months later...

Really nice work- I think you really captured the look of the car from the earlier films. 

Not long after this kit came out, I went to Disney World and saw that they were selling these kits there. Now, they're a little hard to come by. I wish I bought a few when I was there.

Years after that Disney visit, I had Triplet girls, then another girl two years later. We got the Herbie films on DVD and it turned out that they loved watching them. I must have heard "Herbie Rides Again" from the back of my minivan about 40 times. 

They're Herbie fans as a result, so whenever we see a vintage Beetle, they say "Herbie!!!". I have had to scare up a few of these kits for them. They have built a few models with me, but I'm saving these for when they get a little older, since they're a little more complex.