Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '73 Mustang?

JTalmage

Of course that side stripe on the box art is not "stock."  Let's just say I'm not holding my breath for any improvements in this version.  A set of 73 only factory aluminum wheels would be cool but that's not going to happen.

• 1 month later...

Why is there a general mills logo on the box, I thought that they were long gone from the model kit business? Or from Mpc ownership?

Jeff 

Looking forward to this.Went ahead and pre-ordered one at the local shop.

....just noticed this thread now....Jeff, that picture you are seeing on our posting is the original 73 issue kit, when MPC  and General Mills had a business arrangement for some years,,,the new issue coming won't have that art on the box.....and Harry,,,when did your LHS say your pre order would be in stock, as I too will order one  from mine.....thanks boys,,,,,the Ace....;)

....just noticed this thread now....Jeff, that picture you are seeing on our posting is the original 73 issue kit, when MPC  and General Mills had a business arrangement for some years,,,the new issue coming won't have that art on the box.....and Harry,,,when did your LHS say your pre order would be in stock, as I too will order one  from mine.....thanks boys,,,,,the Ace....;)

General Mills bought  MPC from George Toteff in 1970 though I believe the 1971 boxes shows nothing. 1972 first GM logo

Thanks Guys I appreciate the information on the General mills and Mpc partnership as I knew a little bit but not this much. I never try to stop learning and when it comes to the car kits, I'm all ears for everything. Again Thank you.     Jeff 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By any chance would this be the tooling that this one was based on?

amt-amt-ertl-1973-ford-mustang-muscle-ca

If so... I think I'll pass. 

Chuck, the one you are showing box art of is  the actual AMT 73 kit, same  in most ways to the newer TOPE trans am issue for the most part,,,, while the newest  release mentioned is true MPC , I suppose being similar to their 73 annual. I don't yet have one, but recalling kits I have owned back and forth over the years, the MPC version would be my choice of the two. hope this clarifies....the Ace....B)