Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '73 Mustang?

JTalmage

Chuck, the one you are showing box art of is  the actual AMT 73 kit, same  in most ways to the newer TOPE trans am issue for the most part,,,, while the newest  release mentioned is true MPC , I suppose being similar to their 73 annual. I don't yet have one, but recalling kits I have owned back and forth over the years, the MPC version would be my choice of the two. hope this clarifies....the Ace....B)

Thanks for the info. I remember being rather severely underwhelmed by the AMT variant when I bought it back around 2004 or so. Guess I'll be staying tuned for some in-box pics of the MPC. 

Thanks for the info. I remember being rather severely underwhelmed by the AMT variant when I bought it back around 2004 or so. Guess I'll be staying tuned for some in-box pics of the MPC. 

Chuck, I feel the same way. I looked at this new MPC at my LHS just last week, but nothing about the parts layout on the underside of the box or even decal sheet, jumped out and said buy me....think i'll wait until these end up cheap in a year or so, then maybe...the Ace....<_<

:huh: Hi guys I got two of them I though they were going to be like the first run but no.!!! it's a combo of the last two shown on here it's the 73 body and body parts from the one in yellow with the inside parts are from the one in blue the 71. they added the chrome grill backing the stock grill insret is not plated the wheels are from the 71 kit the one good thing unlike the 73 that's been out the inside has detail on the door panels and dash it's workable but nothing to right home about.!!!!

:huh: Hi guys I got two of them I though they were going to be like the first run but no.!!! it's a combo of the last two shown on here it's the 73 body and body parts from the one in yellow with the inside parts are from the one in blue the 71. they added the chrome grill backing the stock grill insret is not plated the wheels are from the 71 kit the one good thing unlike the 73 that's been out the inside has detail on the door panels and dash it's workable but nothing to right home about.!!!!

Rick, would you mind posting photos of  your kit for us to check out......many interested members are keen to see this new issue......thanks, the Ace.....B)

I have the new MPC 73 Mustang. Same as the Ertl Boss 351 issue. Has the BIG 5mph front bumper and a correct 73 grille insert not in the 351 issue. NO side glass like the original.

Bob, would you shoot some pic's of this issue for us to see, especially tires, decals and such.....thanks, the Ace....:D

Personally, I think the AMT 1973 grille is better than the MPC.

This is about a straight re-issue of the ERTL 1971 BOSS 351. . It is not an exact reissue of the annual 1973 MPC Mustang annual. But, has all the original interior and chassis parts that you need. The "Mustang emblem is not on the side of the front fenders. That huge front bumper will not pass for 1971 or 1972. Is it worth buying? Yes and no. Decals are incorrect Mach 1 stripes. Tire are lettered nicely. The chrome tree dates back to the 1966/67 kit

14328843_10207505750941649_2052070045_n.jpg

14331769_10207505750421636_713219342_n.jpg

14341400_10207505750741644_281299971_n.jpg

14348779_10207505750461637_2090665511_n.jpg

Personally, I think the AMT 1973 grille is better than the MPC.

This is about a straight re-issue of the ERTL 1971 BOSS 351. . It is not an exact reissue of the annual 1973 MPC Mustang annual. But, has all the original interior and chassis parts that you need. The "Mustang emblem is not on the side of the front fenders. That huge front bumper will not pass for 1971 or 1972. Is it worth buying? Yes and no. Decals are incorrect Mach 1 stripes. Tire are lettered nicely. The chrome tree dates back to the 1966/67 kit

14328843_10207505750941649_2052070045_n.jpg

14331769_10207505750421636_713219342_n.jpg

14341400_10207505750741644_281299971_n.jpg

14348779_10207505750461637_2090665511_n.jpg

......thanks for posting, Bob.....so is the decal sheet is not so great in this issue,,,,.........the Ace...:huh:

Rick, would you mind posting photos of  your kit for us to check out......many interested members are keen to see this new issue......thanks, the Ace.....B)

Hi I wanted to do that in fact I was going to show all 3 kits with the parts but my daughter has my camera her and my son in law are on vacation they will be gone for 3 weeks sorry.

After seeing the above, and hearing that the correct decals are not in it, I'll probably be passing on this one. Plus that and of the lack of factory aluminum slotted wheels are a bit of a disappointment. Does anybody know if the original release came with proper decals? And what it had for stock wheels?

Since 43 years have passed I will speculate on the reason for the unusual decals. Wayne Andrews (another source says Max Berrier) drove a #15 highly modified Mustand in the East Grand National NASCAR series.  As you can see in the picture the decals are pretty much dead on to the car as it was raced except for the side stripes which I suspect may have been added to the real car or someone at MPC just bought they would look cool. There are decals for different race tracks this car raced at on the sheet.  Other pictures show a chrome front bumper and a 71/72 style grille and the car was raced in 72 and/or 73.  So, either these decals were meant for an earlier issue of the kit (the version with the roll cage and race interior would make sense) and instead of bothering to design a new decal sheet MPC just threw this one in the new 73 kit.  So in someone's infinite wisdom they decided let's make the same mistake and include a decal sheet that makes no sense for this stock 73 sportsroof.  I would find some 71/72 grille parts (Detroit Resin Group has them) and use the decals on the Warren Tope kit and buy some Keith Marks 73 Mach1 decals and make a separate stock Mach1.  I have no insider knowledge of my assumptions but given the bizarre things we have all seen with other kits and decals I'd say I'm not too far off.  I will not speculate what engine Andrews/Berrier ran but a Boss 302 would not surprise me at all.  Of course we all know that engine did not come in any 71-73 Mustang which is okay because the kit has neither the 351C or 429CJ either much less a pirated Boss 302.   What you get is a regular 302 (single exhaust would be factory correct) and a Boss 429 which never came in any 71-73 Mustang.

image.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
???

After having read this entire thread, I'm disappointed that it doesn't come with the correct decals to make a '73 Mach 1.  Does anyone make the correct 'Mustang' script for the front fenders? 

I know Keith Marks makes the correct '73 stripes for this kit. He might also have the correct Mustang script with the stripes.