Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '70 Superbird

Xingu

This was built from the 1991 edition of the Monogram kit. Bought the kit open/started. Engine was built and the alternator and rear view mirror were missing. I happened to have an extra alternator, but no mirror. Nothing was painted by the previous owner, so that was a plus. Exterior painted Vitamin C/Go Mango from MCW. White and black interior. Decals were really yellowed, but I used them anyway. If I ever come across a sheet of decals that has the missing Roardrunners, I will add them to wing side panels and driver's side headlight door. This kit did not come with a full set of factory correct decals. My use of BMF went a little smoother this time around, now that I knew what to expect. Again, not perfect but I feel it is a little better than my last model. I can't ask for anymore than that. Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys. I am a big Mopar fan so it is extra enjoyable to build a kit such as this.

Growing up in the 80's, I knew a guy that had a green Superbird. Seems like it was always in the garage on jack-stands.

Michael, very nice and CLEAN! :wub:

I remember as a nine year old when this car was brand new in '70, and thought it was the neatest thing on the road. I also had the extra niceness of seeing one up close and personal at least once a week. Back when it was new, my Dad was seeing a lady (he and mom were divorced for some years), and her next door neighbor had one. It was white with the black vinyl roof. Hemi's were rare then so more than likely his was the 440.

When Dad would have my sister and I for the weekend, we would usually have Sunday dinner at his girlfriend's house and the Superbird would sometimes be parked right in front of her living room window. I can still remember just sitting there and looking at the car what would seem like hours! I was totally fascinated by the way it looked with that pointy nose and high wing!

Fast forward to the later '70's when I'm in high school (circa '77) and I happen to see one for sale locally going for "only" $1800 and it was in VERY nice shape. It wasn't the old neighbors car but another party selling one. Seems as though as powerful and unique as the cars were, no one wanted 'em as far a being serious collectibles for whatever reason. Now you can't touch 'em for much less than six figures now. :(

Michael, very nice and CLEAN! :wub:

I remember as a nine year old when this car was brand new in '70, and thought it was the neatest thing on the road. I also had the extra niceness of seeing one up close and personal at least once a week. Back when it was new, my Dad was seeing a lady (he and mom were divorced for some years), and her next door neighbor had one. It was white with the black vinyl roof. Hemi's were rare then so more than likely his was the 440.

When Dad would have my sister and I for the weekend, we would usually have Sunday dinner at his girlfriend's house and the Superbird would sometimes be parked right in front of her living room window. I can still remember just sitting there and looking at the car what would seem like hours! I was totally fascinated by the way it looked with that pointy nose and high wing!

Fast forward to the later '70's when I'm in high school (circa '77) and I happen to see one for sale locally going for "only" $1800 and it was in VERY nice shape. It wasn't the old neighbors car but another party selling one. Seems as though as powerful and unique as the cars were, no one wanted 'em as far a being serious collectibles for whatever reason. Now you can't touch 'em for much less than six figures now. :(

Late 70's to late 80's was a good time to buy a car if you had the money. I had a chance to buy a very nice '70 Challenger convertible 340 with factory air for $3000 and the used car salesman couldn't believe I would pay that much for the car. Also had a chance to get a decent '65 Vette with a 327 4-speed and knock off wheels for $5000. All when I was 17 or 18 years old. Missed opportunities taught me about saving money. Now that i have some money saved, all the prices are through the roof.

Late 70's to late 80's was a good time to buy a car if you had the money. I had a chance to buy a very nice '70 Challenger convertible 340 with factory air for $3000 and the used car salesman couldn't believe I would pay that much for the car. Also had a chance to get a decent '65 Vette with a 327 4-speed and knock off wheels for $5000. All when I was 17 or 18 years old. Missed opportunities taught me about saving money. Now that i have some money saved, all the prices are through the roof.

A friend of mine has this one, 440 six-Pak, 4 speed. He bought it in the 80's, wasn't cheap but still affordable. Now he can hardly afford the gas to run it.:angry: