Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Nova SS

Thank you for posting them so they can be seen without downloading.

Can you explain to me how to do that? Bill is starting the buildup of the Nova so there are a LOT more pictures coming!

Len,

I posted them through www.photobucket.com. It's a photo sharing site and membership is free. When you upload photos to you can post a link on forums and such using the proper code and such that will allow others to see the photo without actually loading the photo onto the actual forum site. Clear as mud? E-mail me and i can try to give you a clearer description of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my kits today, and I'm going out on a limb and saying this is the best muscle car kit in 1:25 scale ever produced. starting with the decal sheet, which could easily be confused with an after market one. two decals for the gauges (one stock on custom), all the correct decals for the emblems. some nice Drag car decals. and Hoosier Tire decals for the drag tires. two sets of wheels, (Chevy Rallye and Center Line drag wheels). two hoods, the kit manufactures have finally realized what the after market has been doing for years. they included a nice cowl hood in the kit, as well as the SS hood. dual carb setup option for the kits 350. full detail interior with separate center console. and bucket seats. the rear seat can be omitted for the drag car. full detail chassis with a nice set of optional traction bars. the is a great kit, and I can't wait too see what the after market does with it.

I got my kits today, and I'm going out on a limb and saying this is the best muscle car kit in 1:25 scale ever produced. starting with the decal sheet, which could easily be confused with an after market one. two decals for the gauges (one stock on custom), all the correct decals for the emblems. some nice Drag car decals. and Hoosier Tire decals for the drag tires. two sets of wheels, (Chevy Rallye and Center Line drag wheels). two hoods, the kit manufactures have finally realized what the after market has been doing for years. they included a nice cowl hood in the kit, as well as the SS hood. dual carb setup option for the kits 350. full detail interior with separate center console. and bucket seats. the rear seat can be omitted for the drag car. full detail chassis with a nice set of optional traction bars. the is a great kit, and I can't wait too see what the after market does with it.

I have to agree with Terry. I managed to find on yesterday and opened it before I left the parking lot.

The feeling took me back to Christmas when I was a kid!!!

So far everything looks to be beautifully executed.

Those intake manifold look to be worth the price of admission!!!

Thanks Revell

Can't wait to get my hands on that 57 150......

Just on the rear body there are many improvements over the old AMT kit.

novarear1.jpg

The roof line is corrected, more rounded and slopped back than the AMT, and not so long.

The rear glass frame is correct, particluarly the bottom part of the frame which curves in the correct direction. Opposite of the AMT.

The rear body line is correct. It is more defined and in the correct place.

The rear side glass frame is more accurate, also shaped more like a real Nova and more defined.

The wheel opening is correct. Not only the right shape but the AMT didn't get it in the right place.

The shape of the trunk is corrected. There is nice curve to the new truck unlike the flat AMT

The quarter coners where it meets the rear valance is shaped correctly. Completely wrong on the AMT.

The rear valance bows out a little like it should. The AMT is flat.

Has the correct early sidemakers

Has the correct quarter indents for the bumpers.

Has a much more defined trunk lock.

Has the Nova script on the trunk.

The sail panels are shaped much better.

Has drip rails that are much more defined.

Has a nice curve on the trailing edge of the trunk. Nonexistant on the AMT.

You are all welcome. More to come as I come across things take photos etc.

It's going to be a long and involved process by the looks of it. :D

There was always something about the AMT kit that didn't quite look like a Nova. I think I am narrowing it down to a number of things :o

Here a good profile.

comnova1.jpgnovacomp2.jpg

Note

1. The rear wheel opening

2. The height of the window openings.

3. The flow of the sailpanel.

4. The Body lines

5. Door shape and size - particlarly height.

6. Rear Window shape.

7. Roof line

8. Angle of the bottom of the quarter.

I will be getting into the front here shortly. But I think the angle of the front grill insert and size of part for the AMT is the big short comming and what makes the AMT Nova look a bit off.

Those closeup pictures look great. The proportions look dead on, except for that tab sticking out at the bottom of the front fender (must be needed to properly seat the grille. Still waiting for these to come up to Canada, can't wait. Currenly own 5 Novas and had 5 others in the past, my number 1 favorite car.

Those closeup pictures look great. The proportions look dead on, except for that tab sticking out at the bottom of the front fender (must be needed to properly seat the grille. Still waiting for these to come up to Canada, can't wait. Currenly own 5 Novas and had 5 others in the past, my number 1 favorite car.

That tab is actaully on the real car. It was a small Urethane filler between the fender and bumper. It may have something to do with assembly of the kit, but I have got to that point yet.

Yeah I had a bunch, too.

69 Straight 6 It was a very pretty blue color on black.

70 with SBC

71 parts car

71 4 door, which of course was in perfect condition, it just was a 4 door.

72 Forest Green with a pretty healthy 327 it liked to get real light in the front and drift to the gutters when ya romped on it.

74 hatch with a pretty healthy 350, But like all hatches the rear frame rails snapped in half and the floor caved in.

78 305 that eventually got tubed and a 548 BBC

The AMT body definitely has an overall "heavy" look compared to the Revell body and to the pics of the 1:1 car. The shape of the rear wheel openings is, indeed, waaaay off and the area between the real wheel openings and the rear bumper looks way too short as a result.

What's interesting to me is the fact that as inaccurate as the AMT kit is, AMT and its successor companies continued to crank 'em out (and, apparently folks continued to buy 'em) until the molds literally wore out. In fact, I think it's doubtful that Revell would've ever tooled up its kit had the AMT molds not deteriorated to the point where the kit was unreleasable.

I think, too, that those head-to-head comparison pics go to show just how off the mark all those comments that were made at the time this kit was announced about how Revell was "wasting its tooling dollars" because "we already have a good Nova kit!" were.

Oh yeah, there is just so much wrong with the AMT kit. In fact, their are still people who say the AMT kit is a great kit and don't need to buy a Revell kit. They need their head examened.

I have had three of these AMT kits built one, in the middle of another and have one to build. Even before the announcement of the new kit I cringed at these kits, but that is all there was. While it may never reach the numbers the AMT kit did I am sure they wont have too much trouble selling them.

I even remember as a kid getting on and opening the box and was like, "WTF is this?"

And it is FAR and AWAY from the AMT heap.

Edited by CAL

I expect this kit to sell in huge numbers for several reasons, among them the popularity of the second-gen Nova, the general cruddiness of the AMT kit, the fact that the AMT kit hasn't been available on a regular basis for awhile and folks like me buying multiples so they can do more than one version!

Yes... I have 5 or so of the AMT '72, but I'll get at least that many of the Revell kit...have 2 on order now.

I can see this being a big seller like the '69 Camaro kit and the multiple version that can be future releases. The way the included the tailpanel trim with the tailights, they can easily tool up a second set of front and rear bumper/grill/taillights and do a '70-72 or do a new dash and interior for a '68. I have bought about 20 of the Camaro kits and will definitely buy as many or more Nova kits. I just hope Revell produces more than a handful. Not like the Merc, I would buy more, but in a year I have seen only one Merc and bought that one.

‘69 Nova SS

Revell Kit # 2098

New Tool- 140 Pieces and Decals

It seems that there is a market for a model kit of just about any kind of car. Such is the case with Revell’s latest kit, the 1969 Chevrolet Nova SS Coupe. Now up until about a year ago, AMT marketed a similar kit, the 1972 Chevrolet Nova SS, which has been in constant production since the1970's, but not as an original annual kit marketed when the car was new. In this review, I am going to contrast, and compare the two kits.

In the mid 1970's AMT issued a kit of the 1971 Pontiac Ventura II. I, among other modelers who purchased the kit wondered why not a Nova instead of the Ventura II? The Nova was a pretty popular car at the time, and it seemed to me that it was always a worthy subject to do a model kit of, since there were kits of the competing cars of the compact segment at the time, such as the Ford Maverick/ Mercury Comet, Plymouth Duster 340/ Dodge Demon 340. Even the AMC Hornet was available in promo form, but there was no Nova in model form since 1965. Well, AMT decided to market a 1971 Pontiac Ventura II instead of the Nova. When I opened the box, I was amazed that the front fenders cowl and rear tail light panel were omitted from the body, much like a real car. I figured that a Nova was forthcoming, and it did come, with a few modifications of the original Ventura II kit, which ironically has not returned to the AMT line as a kit. What we got was a Nova SS, with two basic building versions, a supposedly “Factory Stock†car, and a “Drag Race†version of this car. The biggest complaint concerning this kit from most modelers, was that the front fender unit and cowl were very ill fitting at best, and it took quite a lot of work to make them look right. Jimmy Flintstone resin even went to the trouble of marketing a body with the front fenders and cowl attached properly. There were also a set of decals were marketed by Fred Cady for different variants of this series Chevrolet Nova, such as the 1969 Yenko S/C, the 1970 Yenko Deuce, and the 1971-72 Rally Nova, and Keith Marks does a beautiful set of scripts and pin stripe decals for the kit, as well as the aforementioned sets formally marketed by Fred Cady. Model car garage produced two different photo-etch sets, which made it possible to build a model of just about any variation of a 1968-72 Chevrolet Nova, or Acadian. A Dick Harrell and a Motion Performance stinger hood was available from Drag City Casting , as well as a Chevy 6-cylinder engine from Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland, and Perry’s Resin were also available. From time to time, a resin conversion set to do the ‘71 Ventura II like the original kit was available from Tim Powers, and Time Machine Resins does a resin transkit of the 1971 Ventura II, with the fenders attached. With these aftermarket products, we were virtually unlimited in what we could build in this car.

Now, let’s fast forward to the present time. I, among other modelers, for one reason or another, who wanted to purchase a 1968-72 Nova model kit for these projects were told that AMT was going to permanently discontinue this kit, due to the molds being worn out, and un-repairable. Fortunately for me, I found a couple of new-old stock kits and snapped them up for the projects. Ironically, a couple of months later, the kit was re-released with new box art, which turned out to be a very limited production run. In the mean time, Revell announced that they were going to market a “brand new tool†of a 1969 Nova SS. With the various modeling “Message Boardsâ€, we were able to see “test shots†from the Chicago Hobby Show and the NNL East, and even a step by step build up of the un-released kit thanks to Bill Coulter and Len Carsner. The feeding frenzy started to build when the preliminary release date of the kit was announced. We waited, and waited, until finally, the kit is here. I was able to get my kit in early July, and this is my impression.

In looking over the parts, Revell did a wonderful of engineering this kit. Everything fits well, and it looks to be a pretty good representation of a “Restified†1969 Chevrolet Nova SS, but not a “Factory Stock†automobile. A “Factory Stock†1969 Chevrolet Nova SS can be built from this kit, but only with the addition of a few parts from the old parts box, or the aftermarket. A very nice “Drag Race†or “Street Machine†version can be built from this kit with the optional parts included from the kit. AMT’s kit is similar in scope, but different, in that the optional parts selection for the drag race car represents a 1970's style car. Believe it or not, the AMT car is accurate for a 1970 through 1971 car, but not a 1972 car as depicted on the box. More on that later in the review.

Engine: The Revell kit includes a Chevrolet 350-4 Barrel V8 Engine/4-Speed Transmission. The engine is very well done, and will build into a very accurate 350 LT-1 V8, needing only a little wiring, plumbing, and linkages, and proper painting toâ€super detail†it. Nice for a “Restified†car, but not as a “Factory Stock†1969 Chevrolet Nova SS. The reason that this kit is not buildable as a “Factory Stock†car straight from the box, is that the LT-1 version of the Chevrolet 350 engine was not available in the Nova, or any other Chevrolet until the 1970 model year. In 1969, the standard engine in the Nova SS was the L-48 350 V8. To do a correct L-48 “Factory Stock†engine, a set of smooth valve covers, such as the ones from the AMT 1972 Nova SS, and a carburator and air cleaner from the AMT 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. To be a correct “Factory Stock†build, the valve covers should be de-chromed, and the engine assembly should be painted Chevrolet Engine Orange, with a Semi-Gloss Black air cleaner, starter, coil, distributor, alternator bracket, fan and pulleys, a gold anodized carburator and fuel pump, and aluminum fan clutch, alternator and smog pump. The transmission should be a natural steel color, as well as the exhaust manifolds.

The “Drag Race†engine option in the Revell kit is a group of high-performance substitutions to the 350 V8 engine, consisting of a high rise manifold with twin 4-barrel carburators and mini air cleaners, a simplified fan belt assembly, along with a nicely rendered set of tubular headers and collectors.

In the case of the Chevrolet Nova, the LT-1 engine included in the kit was only available as a C.O.P.O.(Central Office Production Option), not normally seen on a normal Nova SS, but on a specially ordered car such as the “Yenko Deuce†and other “high performanceâ€specially ordered Chevrolet Novas from a dealer, as a R.P.O. (Regular Production Option) on the Corvette, and the standard engine on the 1970 ½ -1973 Camaro Z28, as well as an over the counter “Service†package as a replacement engine for customer/ or dealership installation.

The AMT kit includes two engine options. A L-48 350 V8 Engine and Turbo 350 Automatic Transmission for the “Replica Stock†version. This is also an excellent rendition of the Chevrolet V8 engine available in the Nova SS and is very accurate. The only changes I would make to it would be the aforementioned air cleaner and carburator from the AMT 1970 Monte Carlo SS kit, and de-chroming the valve covers. Not as well done as the Revell engine, but pretty nice, as it is one of the few small block/Turbo 350 combinations in scale.

The “Drag Race†engine option consists of a complete separate “454 V8" engine and 4-speed transmission. Other items includes finned aluminum valve covers, a tunnel ram high rise manifold with twin 4-barrel carburators and ram tubes, a simplified fan belt assembly, along with a not-so-nicely rendered set of tubular headers and collectors. A ‘70's style drag race engine application if ever there was one. Very good, but sorely needing an update to today’s technology.

Interior: The Revell kit’s interior starts with the floorboard, consisting of the front inner fenders, rear seat bulkhead, and rear package shelf on one side, and the chassis detail on the other side. The rear seat, side panels, console, shifter, two-piece bucket seats, dashboard, steering column and steering wheel make up the “Factory Stock†rendition. Most of the parts are very well engraved and represents the real car very well. Decals are supplied for the various gages in the dashboard and the center console. To me, the “scale upholstery†on the front and rear seats are a little on the flat side, in that there is no definition to the pleats, nor is there no texture in the center pleat in each seat.

The AMT kit builds from a tub, which incorporates the floorboard, interior sides, rear bulkhead, and package shelf. While there is detail engraved on the side panels, it is faint, and nowhere near as well defined as the Revell kit. As a matter of fact, with the exception of the seat upholstery, all of the engraving is faint, making any detailing difficult at best. There are no decals furnished for the gages. However, the Keith Marks’ decal sheet has most of the markings to bring the assembly out. Ironically, while AMT has seen fit to market this kit as a 1972 car, it is actually a 1971 car, as the bucket seats in the 1972 car were the “High-Backed†style, as found in the Camaro and the Vega. The 1971 Nova was the last one to have to have the “Strato Styled†bucket seats with the separate head restraints.

Both kits includes a “drag version of the interior, which is basically a 4-point roll bar, and the removal of the rear seat. The Revell kit includes a separate floor shift with a boot of the builder cares to omit the console, and a complete gage cluster rendered in decal form.

Wheels and Tires: The Revell kit includes an excellent set of Rally Wheels, which mounts onto a set of no-named black-wall tires, with no side wall detail for the “stock versionâ€. A set of Center Line “Convo-Pro†wheels, and no-named drag slicks are provided for the “drag version†A set of “Hoosier†decals are furnished for the slicks. Wheel backs with metal pins are furnished to mount the tires onto the front and rear suspensions. Both sets of wheels are well defined, and represent the actual product well.

The AMT kit includes an excellent set of Rally Wheels, which mounts onto a set of Good Year “Polysteel†radial black-wall tires, for the “stock versionâ€. A set of no-named 5-spoke wheels, which look like Cragar S/S wheels, and Good Year drag slicks are provided for the “drag versionâ€. Wheel backs with plastic axles are furnished to mount the tires onto the rear axle. Both sets of wheels in this kit are also well defined.

Chassis: Both kits have separate exhaust systems and rear axles and springs, as well as pretty well defined floorboards. Revell’s is better defined in most cases, as the separate front suspension unit has good steering linkage detail, and a separate front stabilizer bar. The Revell kit furnishes a rear stabilizer bar, part of the F41 Sport Suspension package from the factory. The AMT kits have very little detail in the front suspension area, and no separate stabilizer bars, front or rear. Both kits have a separate rear axle, separate leaf springs, and shock absorbers for its “stock†version. However, the drag race oriented rear suspensions are in both kits are interpretations of different eras of speed equipment. The AMT kit’s “drag†rear suspension consists of a set of chrome-plated Gabriel “Hi Jacker†air shocks, chrome-plated ladder bars, and a set of 6" shackles, designed to raise the rear end of the car high enough for the massive rear slicks to clear the rear wheel wells. The Revell kit takes a more modern approach to raise the rear of the car, using raising blocks at each spring perch, and a set of slapper type traction bars. It has been brought to this writer’s attention that the fuel tank on the Revell chassis is upside down, as the deep part of the sump is toward the rear of the tank instead of the front.

Body: Both of the kit’s bodies are instantly recognizable as a 1968-1972 Chevrolet Nova. The Revell body represents a standard 1969 Nova SS, with all of the emblems and trim of the standard car. The AMT body represents a 1971-72 Nova SS with the Custom Exterior Package lower rocker panel mouldings. Both kits include the Nova SS hood, with a scooped hood as an option, the Revell hood having a 1969 Camaro “Cowl Indiction†styled scoop, and the AMT having a strange looking “Mailbox†type scoop with a front opening. With one minor exception, the Revell body comes off much better than the AMT offering, which is at best a compromise. The Revell body is crisp, the parts fit on it better, is well engraved with sharp details, and just plain looks good with one exception, the wheel openings are the wrong shape. Period. The AMT kit, in spite of its aforementioned ill-fitting front fenders has the correct wheel opening shape. Every other angle of the Revell kit looks spot on the real car, and the parts fit well. The Revell kit includes separate chromed windshield wipers and door handles, even includes an accurate round manual style outside mirror for the left door. The wipers and door handles are moulded in on the AMT body. Both decal sets are well executed, but the Revell kit has better registration, and a better product selection.

In my opinion, Revell has a definite winner here. I did some preliminary measurements of my aftermarket parts, and it looks like the Model Car Garage PHOTO ETCH sets for the ‘68/’69, and the ‘70 -‘72 will work if one want to either enhance their build, or change the year. Same goes for the Fred Cady and Keith Marks decal sets. The aftermarket hoods meant for the AMT kit is NOT interchangeable with the Revell kit without modification. Is the wheel well shape issue enough to brand the kit as poorly executed? Not in my opinion. If you are a fan of this car BUY this kit, BUILD this kit, and ENJOY this kit.

By the way, if you want to get some information about the Chevrolet Nova, hit this link for some brochures.

http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/index.htm

Ron Hamilton

Extremely well written and researched kit review, Ron. Quite unusual that you wisely incorporated the AMT kit (to include it's history...nice touch!) into the review, while giving factual, un-biased information on both. Even though I have a unbuilt AMT kit, the resin and the "Jimmy Flintstone" body, I still purchased two Revell kits. The information given concerning the modifications necessary to build a authentic factory stock 69 SS is appreciated. I'm sure other members/readers can appreciate your coverage of the non factory stock components of both kits as well. Just when I had thought you had covered everything to perfection, you include an excellent link to the factory sales literature for reference. Bravo! One of the hardest things I run into in researching a factory stock build (non Chrysler, of course) is getting the color scheme correct, as I use "MCW" paint exclusively. Obtaining the correct interior trim color availability is one of the most difficult things to research....that link has covered that problem well. Thanks for a great review....I look forward to more of the same in the future, hopefully! :unsure: Fury3

Nicely done, Ron. Nice to see that we both came to the same conclusions too.

The LT-1 was not available in the 1969 model year, which leads me to question why it is in this kit. The only logical conclusions were either a) the '69 Nova Revell used as reference had a transplanted LT-1 in it, or 2) Revell either planned or PLANS to do a Yenko LT-1 Deuce at some point.

In any case, conversion to a factory L78 big block Nova or a Yenko 427 Nova is relatively simple. I'm using the engine transplanted from Revell's '67 Chevelle in my Yenko Nova conversion and it works beautifully. All thats really needed is some work to adjust the stock pipes to connect up with the Rat motor's exhausts, and some new water hoses.

Now, a Baldwin-Motion car....oooh now there's a subject near and dear to me...in high school I hung out with a guy who owned a Rally Green '69 Baldwin-Motion 427 Nova...that car was downright scary...whenever I rode in that pup I felt like the torque was gonna rip the big 12 bolt rear right off its mountings...seriously, that was too much engine for that car! Scary yes, but to this day I'm grinning like a cheshire cat! B):o

Thanks for the excellent review Ron!

After getting 4 of these kits this weekend, I must say I'am very pleased with the Nova kit and Kudos to Revell for another outstanding kit! I hope Revell keeps it up with the future kits and can't wait to see the '57 Chevy kit this fall!

I must mention a few things other than the 'backwards' gas tank. Its suppose to be a 12 bolt rearend on a HiPro SS Nova and the bolts are missing! and the dual carbs look too small and I notice the single factory carb looks bigger than them. Its no biggie but those 12 bolts missing on that rearend will be noticeable and maybe its just me after spending years under cars in a transmission shop? :D

Kudos to Revell for the BEST looking 350 engine ever! Pleased that the oil pan, filter and other parts are separate. This engine will find its way in many other Revell kits that use the BB engine. By the way, the AMT BB engine in the '70 Monte Carlo, '67 Impala, El Camino fits pretty good in the Revell Nova! Non SS model stock valve covers can be found in the AMT Nova & '72 Chevy PU kits.

Reckons I will buy a bunch more and even the aftermarket hood scoop will be useful too even tho you will have to cut it out and bond it on any hood you wish.

I suspect Revell has plans for a Yenko Nova or similar kind in the future and no doubt Revell has plans to use the SB engine in future kits...a Corvette would nice. :blink:

~ Jeff

The track on the rear axle is a tad wide too (about 1/16" on each side). I found that out when I started building mine. Everything else seems to be falling together. Any tire wider than the kit tire & wheel combination is going to be a little tight.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

The track on the rear axle is a tad wide too (about 1/16" on each side). I found that out when I started building mine. Everything else seems to be falling together. Any tire wider than the kit tire & wheel combination is going to be a little tight.

Thanks for the heads up Ron. Shortening the rear axle by 1/16" per side is no great shakes.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I was looking at the new issue and the article by Bill Coulter building the Nova and was wondering if he had done an article on the AMT Nova in the last two pictures. I bought a 70 new,350/stick(floor shift), gunmetal gray metalic, black interior, posi and rally wheels, $2600, but I digress (he said with a glazed look in his eyes remembering his ill spent youth). Does anyone know if there is another article?

Robert