Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Nova SS

Hey guys,

I was looking at the new issue and the article by Bill Coulter building the Nova and was wondering if he had done an article on the AMT Nova in the last two pictures. I bought a 70 new,350/stick(floor shift), gunmetal gray metalic, black interior, posi and rally wheels, $2600, but I digress (he said with a glazed look in his eyes remembering his ill spent youth). Does anyone know if there is another article?

Robert

Hi Robert...

The answer is yes. But without digging out the ancient early copies of SAE I can't tell you for sure what issue it was in. I believe in was in issue No. 4 maybe. It was titled "Tale of Two Chevys", that much I know for sure. It was an article not so much about the AMT 72 Nova in particular but about building two models at the same time and swapping parts back and forth between them.

Thanks for asking...

BC

Hi Robert...

The answer is yes. But without digging out the ancient early copies of SAE I can't tell you for sure what issue it was in. I believe in was in issue No. 4 maybe. It was titled "Tale of Two Chevys", that much I know for sure. It was an article not so much about the AMT 72 Nova in particular but about building two models at the same time and swapping parts back and forth between them.

Thanks for asking...

BC

Great job on the Nova cover article in the new Model Cars, Bill. Car looks terrific and the article is excellent. Never tire of reading your work. What's next? Best regards....TIM BOYD o

Hi Robert...

Thanks for asking...

BC

Thanks for the info, just my luck, my collection starts at #8. Yeah the article is great, I'm already sorting through the car mags for detail shots to start my build.

Robert

Great job on the Nova cover article in the new Model Cars, Bill. Car looks terrific and the article is excellent. Never tire of reading your work. What's next? Best regards....TIM BOYD o

Thanks Tim for the kind comments. What's the old adage about a blind hog finding an acorn once in a while?

I am only traveling in well-worn footsteps in doing material for publication.

I've got way too many projects going for an old man of 67. So many models to build, do little time.

I have a few more things coming for Gregg and I'm looking at trying something interactive on this board.

BC

• 5 weeks later...
:lol: Ok fellas, I dun got me a few of these kits(4) and I was noticing that the rear taillight panel(the area BETWEEN the taillights) looks a little too vertical for me. I had one and I sure don't remember it bein straight up an down like that. In fact if I remember correctly, it had a slight rear-ward rake at the top. The AMT Nova kit had this area down perfect but the new Revell kit just looks too vertical to me. Anyone else notice this? I've fixed this on the model I'm workin on, but it seems to me it should've been done right on a newly released kit. Other than that, I LOVE this kit! :P

I haven't looked that close, but I know how annoying it is to find those things when you're building models of cars you know inside and out. Doesn't sound like it's too bad though. I want to build a nice, detailed Chevelle '69 so bad, but the only offering on the market is a turd so it will just turn into a 5-year scratch-building quagmire... :lol:

I didn't catch that on the model, but I'm pretty sure your right about the inward rake on the 1:1. I'd check my 1:1 but it's been backed into my storage shed until I could afford to do something with it, yeah, hanen't seen that end of it in about 10 yrs now, stinkin money grubbin wife and kids haha. I'm not bashing the kit, but another thing I noticed was the dash engraving, no vents or fine chrome trim around the gauge cluster, and around the horizontal inset area of the doorpanels, looks like thats where they ran out of time tooling up the kit. No big deal by me, just a little more time spent with the superfine brush and chrome silver. I too think this is a great kit, almost done with my second build and lookin to buy 2 or 3 more. BTW George, what did you do to fix yours? Show us some pics heehee

Just checked a few reference pics......you sir, are correct.

Edited by novadose71

Yes, I noticed too. In the grand scheme of things, it ended up a non-issue to me because the finished models looks so good. Please let us know how you fixed yours!

I have built two of the new Novas, the few minor design/detail goofs didn't spoil the model for me at all. Before building my Novas I too was bothered by the vertical taillight panel, after building them I wondered exactly why that didn't seem bother me anymore. I can't answer that, other than to say it just doesn't bother me. Perhaps the joy of building the kit coupled with the overall finished appearance makes that kind of stuff seem trivial. It's one of those details that you have to decide if it's worth it or not to fix. I can spend the time I didn't utilize fixing the Nova tail panel to obsess over something on another kit that might bother me more!

Am I the only one that thinks AMT's Nova front end isn't right? I see a nice one built, and I can't help but notice the "face" of the car is off. It's too flat, it just doesn't look to me quite like a Nova. Revell nailed the face of their Nova. The AMT Nova has a better taillight panel. I wouldn't skip over the Revell kit just because of that!

:lol: Ah, Rob, ya jus HAD ta go there , Right? Well with pics or not, here goes. What I did was to file the angle in with a course emery board to get the angle that looked right(too me) then I had to take a little bit from the bottom of the bumper cut out an so slightly re contoure the very bottom of the body sculpture line till I got the whole bumper assembly to lean the way I wanted it to.Not alot of work really ,pretty easy to do, and to me, it made a perfect kit even more perfecter.I LOVE THIS KIT!!! :lol:

Awww....Now ya gone an dunnit George........ :blink:

With ALL these inaccuracies popping up on this new tool....ya gotta go and point out another one............ :P;)

Good to see ya finally got yourself a couple of 'em mate.

To be perfectly honest, the small things which have been pointed out so far, have had little or no adverse effect on an Aussie who has never been close enough to a real Nova to know the diff'rence...

Kinda sounds lame, I know........but it prolly makes it easier to build in my case....... ;)

I've had 3 of the older Amt kits over the years.....I'd buy one, open it.....try to figure out what to do......sell it.......few months later, but another, same routine.....sell it.........continued, :D till this great new kit arrived from Revell....I just love what they've offered us, even with the slight inaccuracies....but hey, I am an Aussie remember....... :lol:

Now hurry up an get some pics up for us......you building a replica of something dear an close to you...?

;) Stump, Its a Grecian Green, 350 4spd.With a Z-28 cowl induction hood, Blacked out ALA Mustang Mach 1,With Cragar SuperSport Classic on Red line tires in front, an Mickey Thompson G-70 14's on Ansen Sprint rims,In the rear. Cyclone Headers, Dual Thrush exhasts, an MAS Traction Action traction bars.This was my 1st REAL car (that I pickedout an made payments on,18 yrs old with a car payment of 48 bucks a month.) I had to sell it when I enlisted because Theresa( Wifey Pooh) Couldn't Drive a stick.Not then, at least.But.... Since I suffer from CLNS(can't learn new sh*t) and My mind refuses to come into the 21st century, I don't know If I'll ever post pics!!! :lol::D

George...this sounds waaaay kool mate.

Hey, if ya want, can you email me any pics you take.? I can host them for ya man, no problems.. ;) I got loads of space, an I'd do that for you, for bein a mate.

Yell out if'n ya get a chance man, I'm keen to see this beast in the makin'...... :D

I'm havin a "flexi" day off work today, so hope to get some done on mine sometime....

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys , just finally found one of these kits up here, and to my suprise revell has retooled the chasis! the fuel tank has been turned 180 degrees, now when I get to build it I will check on the other little things as I come across them, way to go revell in fixing a what I call a minor mistake. any of us could modify the fuel tank but it is nice to know revell is listening and took care of this problem! :)

hey guys , just finally found one of these kits up here, and to my suprise revell has retooled the chasis! the fuel tank has been turned 180 degrees, now when I get to build it I will check on the other little things as I come across them, way to go revell in fixing a what I call a minor mistake. any of us could modify the fuel tank but it is nice to know revell is listening and took care of this problem! :D

Cool! Yes, It's good to know Revell is listening. The kit is great, and I'm still almost done(just decals left) with my second build. I think I'll wait a little while before buying a couple more of these kits so I make sure they have the corrected tank, thanks for the info

hey guys , just finally found one of these kits up here, and to my suprise revell has retooled the chasis! the fuel tank has been turned 180 degrees, now when I get to build it I will check on the other little things as I come across them, way to go revell in fixing a what I call a minor mistake. any of us could modify the fuel tank but it is nice to know revell is listening and took care of this problem! :o

This is indeed good to hear.... :lol: Thank you Revell. :lol:

Darn...I still need to convert the tank on the 4 I got in my stash.....oh well..it is a fairly easy fix I guess. (and one will be ProStreet, so wont be an issue.... :P ..)

;) Ok fellas, I dun got me a few of these kits(4) and I was noticing that the rear taillight panel(the area BETWEEN the taillights) looks a little too vertical for me. I had one and I sure don't remember it bein straight up an down like that. In fact if I remember correctly, it had a slight rear-ward rake at the top. The AMT Nova kit had this area down perfect but the new Revell kit just looks too vertical to me. Anyone else notice this? I've fixed this on the model I'm workin on, but it seems to me it should've been done right on a newly released kit. Other than that, I LOVE this kit! :lol:

Yes, I noticed that too. Also noticed that the grill has a bit too much forward slant. Also, the kit's body has a bit of a hard peak along the mid/beltline, whereas the real car had more of a gentle curve along the beltline. That's an easy fix with a bit of sandpaper, but correcting those grill and tail light panel angles takes some work.

Mike

Why is it always some little glitch with new models? I've been thinking of buying the Revell custom '49 Merc, but the lower body panel behind the front wheel well look too flat-straight. When you look at AMT's Merc, it's curved like it's supposed to be. Oh well, I guess that's why we're modelers, can't leave well enough, can we...? :)

Sounds like I have to hold off on the Nova, in order to get the corrected gas tank issue.....

Edited by Modellpularn

• 2 weeks later...
Why is it always some little glitch with new models? I've been thinking of buying the Revell custom '49 Merc, but the lower body panel behind the front wheel well look too flat-straight.

Well, the Merc is a custom, so I wouldn't expect any of the panels to be stock.

As far as the taillights go, a thought I had about a "quick fix" would be just to file/sand the rear edges of the body back to a more correct angle, so that the body color would "cheat" the angle to the eye. Basically, just file the rear edges so that it's a straight line from the bottom of the body to the corner where the trunk lid is, eliminating the little "snags" next to the taillights. Actually correcting the angle of the lights and panel seems like it would be a more involved process that would require a spare bumper/taillight piece.

Regarding the front end, I've seen some mention of people thinking the front end of the new Revell Nova is too V-ed or slants too far forward. I personally don't see that. I'm more inclined to agree with Bob that the AMT '71's front end is a little "flat".

Hmeh, nits 'n picks, they're inevitable with any new kit. I'll tell you what was completely unnecessary:

The letter in the current issue from "that Bohach guy".

So let me get this straight. Kit reviewers ain't "doing their jobs" unless they spend hours crawling with a tape measure over the nearest example of a subject from an entire generation ago? 'Scuse me there, J Robert, but what if the reviewer's neighborhood AIN'T EXACTLY CRAWLING WITH 40-YEAR-OLD NOVAS?

Oh, so YOU have one? Well BULLY FOR YOU. Try your own hand at a review, then.

Of course, anyone who claims Larry and Bill are blind - within sight of a sentence proclaiming the OBVIOUS SUPERIORITY OF THE OLD AMT KIT, no less - brings his own credibility to a level just below male enhancement spam. There's a bit more to the whole analysis than matching measurements. Of course, one has to actually review a few kits to realize that.

Seems to me letters and attitudes like these have far higher use as forcefully self-administered colonic treatments than they do wasting ink and bytes.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Hmeh, nits 'n picks, they're inevitable with any new kit. I'll tell you what was completely unneccessary:

The letter in the current issue from "that Bohach guy".

So let me get this straight. Kit reviewers ain't "doing their jobs" unless they spend hours crawling with a tape measure over the nearest example of a subject from an entire generation ago? 'Scuse me there, J Robert, but what if the reviewer's neighborhood AIN'T EXACTLY CRAWLING WITH 40-YEAR-OLD NOVAS?

Oh, so YOU have one? Well BULLY FOR YOU. Try your own hand at a review, then.

Of course, anyone who claims Larry and Bill are blind - within sight of a sentence proclaiming the OBVIOUS SUPERIORITY OF THE OLD AMT KIT, no less - brings his own credibility to a level just below male enhancement spam. There's a bit more to the whole analysis than matching measurements. Of course, one has to actually review a few kits to realize that.

Seems to me letters and attitudes like these have far higher use as forcefully self-administered colonic treatments than they do wasting ink and bytes.

Obviously there are dissenting opinions out there regarding the Nova kit. Alan's letter wasn't exactly the most artfully crafted I've ever read, and he could have stated his opinions a bit more... tactfully, but the fact is, there are plenty of opinions to go around. MCM was simply giving "the loyal opposition" a shot. "Fair and balanced"... B)