Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Ford F-100 Scrap Hauler

Here's how it all started. I wanted to build a longbed F-100 beater, painted to match the box art to one of the kits. But I couldn't decide on the red-over-white of the '71 Ranger, the black and white of the '72, or the two-tone green of the '70. So... I decided to use all three on the same truck, along with a light blue hood and a chrome yellow/oxford white XLT tailgate. The '71 Ranger XLT was the base kit, but it was turned into a '72 SC using the grille, inner door panels, and seat from the '72 kit. Though it is an SC, the front fends and the tailgate are meant to have been from two different XLT-Rangers. The '72's step bumper was also used. 

The scrap in the back is a mis-mash of various aftermarket and kit-sourced pieces. I butchered the rear suspension a bit to get it to sit nice and low, as a half-ton with this much weight on the back would sit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful. I've always appreciated your affinity for and ability to create the cosmetically challenged. 

Reminds me of growing up. But, the bed of parts is so well organized, must be driven by a very particular scrapper. My uncle always just threw it in and sorted it later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...