Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Movies on TV..

10thumbs

The wife gets a kick out of making fun of me, I'll watch a good old film many times.

Last night though, she shot with both barrels...."you should know when you're getting older, the same old films again and again".  lol.  Last night it was "LA Confidential".

Thing is, I like to watch them also in original tone, English.  Often too, the things come across differently.

So, anyone here like watching old movies again and again over a period of time?

Most films pass through my mind rather like water through a sieve, so re-watching old ones is often like seeing them for the first time. ;)

I do enjoy watching films that are before my own time, or ones I missed on the way to here...particularly old sci-fi, crime and war subjects in black and white.

Lately I've been into British noir, which is kinda odd after having been steeped in the American version. It's interesting to see chases in Bentleys and Rovers, with distinctly American-sounding jazz-noir soundtracks, trashy bleach-blond dames with Cockney accents...and usually not many guns.   :D

The wife gets a kick out of making fun of me, I'll watch a good old film many times.

Last night though, she shot with both barrels...."you should know when you're getting older, the same old films again and again".  lol.  Last night it was "LA Confidential".

Thing is, I like to watch them also in original tone, English.  Often too, the things come across differently.

So, anyone here like watching old movies again and again over a period of time?

That's a good movie and it's only from the 90's. I like movies from the 60's and 70's too.

Edited by Mike C

Yeah I enjoy watching the old classic movies;  Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Longest Day, all of the old John Wayne western and WWII movies, B&W war movies, Bullitt, The French Connection... and at Christmas time, it's not "officially" Christmas for me until I watch the original Scrooge, a Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim.  My brother-in-law gave me a huge box of old VCR tapes of WWII movies, westerns etc., that I watched, but my VCR broke and I need to find a new one.  My wife gave me a bunch of old Roy Rogers movies (he was my childhood hero), along with Hopalong Cassidy, and The Cisco Kid.  

Lots of great movies from the past are still worth watching....again.

The regular TV program in Germany really stinks, we used to call it "summer program" because of vacationing and lower viewing stats.  Anymore, the lousy program is year round.  I'm happy to have Netflix and another at a decent price.

Recently too, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".  Hadn't seen this one in years!

Here a list of several fairly recent films that have been shown lately often on alternative TV channels.  I've seen them all many, many times yet still look again;

Gladiator

Red October

Dances With Wolves

The Sting

The Shawshank Redemption

Heat

I love all of them!

Also, English and French productions are really interesting too.

Most films pass through my mind rather like water through a sieve, so re-watching old ones is often like seeing them for the first time. ;)

I do enjoy watching films that are before my own time, or ones I missed on the way to here...particularly old sci-fi, crime and war subjects in black and white.

Lately I've been into British noir, which is kinda odd after having been steeped in the American version. It's interesting to see chases in Bentleys and Rovers, with distinctly American-sounding jazz-noir soundtracks, trashy bleach-blond dames with Cockney accents...and usually not many guns.   :D

You'd like "All Night Long," an early 60s take on the London jazz scene; it's based on "Othello," with Patrick MacGoohan as the Iago type.

I love old movies and TV shows. Though, when I talk old, I mean really old. For example, I love black and white movies from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. I even like really old silent movies. In fact, my all time favorite movie is Fitz Lang's Metropolis, filmed in 1926. And for TV, I basically like anything before about 1975. Don't get me wrong, there are some newer things I do like in both Movies and TV. But, my favorite stuff is old Marx Brothers and Three Stooes comedies. Anything with Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, or Steve McQueen. Film Noirs. 50's Sci Fi. Alfred Hitch movies. And the like. And I do tend watch them over and over again, several times.

Love, love, love vintage movies and TV - thank goodness for TCM, the only outfit that cares about trying to dig up vintage stuff I've never heard of. I'd be as enthusiastic about MeTV and its imitators if they didn't speed up the old shows so much to jam in more commercials for reverse mortgages, stair lifts and attorneys trying to get clients to sue drug companies ("If you died from taking Nebulexa, call us!"). The dialog gets clipped off and the music speeds up and slows down at various times, boy I tell ya what...

Sorry. Back on topic. Love the old game shows on Buzzr late at night; I used to watch "To Tell the Truth" and when the three contestants came on, I'd Google the person's name to see if I could beat the panel. "What's My Line" is fun, although I'd keep hoping John Daly would finally snap and tell that I'm-too-smart-for-this-room Bennett Cerf to go (censored) himself, Arlene Francis to please try to come in sober, and Dorothy Kilgallen to go grow a chin and stop acting so snippy.

Movies: I enjoy film noir, particularly those with lots of vintage L.A. location footage. Anything with lots of cars is a treat, like Panic in Year Zero! starring Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon, Drive a Crooked Road starring Mickey Rooney (I posted the IMCDb page for that one) and Cell 2455, Death Row starring William Campbell (posted that one as well).

And I gotta confess I like those campy, trashy '60s thrillers starring Joan Crawford at the tail end of her career: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Strait-Jacket, I Saw What You Did, and Berserk! ("We're running a circus - not a charm school! :blink:).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Few years ago I got into older TV series (bought them on DVDs). Things like the complete sets of Get Smart, Are You Being Served, Alf, The Avengers, Space 1999.  I also like watching old series on MeTV.

I thought I was the only person who got a kick out of Are You Being Served. As for old movies...... Sci Fi and war movies.

I thought I was the only person who got a kick out of Are You Being Served. As for old movies...... Sci Fi and war movies.

No way - there are lots of Americans enjoying Brit-humor.  I also like One Foot In The Grave, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers and of course Monty Python among others.

My wife and I are huge fans of the old Robin Hood TV series from the '50s to the point of our taking up archery using old longbows, decorating our storage shed like the Blue Boar Inn (the tavern at the edge of Sherwood Forest where the outlaws hang out) and drinking uisge beatha out of Scottish highland cattle horn cups. I've also learned to play most of the songs and incidental music from the show on guitar.

My wife and I are huge fans of the old Robin Hood TV series from the '50s to the point of our taking up archery using old longbows, decorating our storage shed like the Blue Boar Inn (the tavern at the edge of Sherwood Forest where the outlaws hang out) and drinking uisge beatha out of Scottish highland cattle horn cups. I've also learned to play most of the songs and incidental music from the show on guitar.

That's why I convinced my Dad to buy a bow and arrow set. Unfortunately, the reruns shown around here are so chopped up for commercials that they're too hard to follow. But the Disney movie with Richard Todd (and their other Todd movies like Rob Roy and The Sword and the Rose) were killer.

Edited by sjordan2

That's why I convinced my Dad to buy a bow and arrow set. Unfortunately, the reruns shown around here are so chopped up for commercials that they're too hard to follow. But the Disney movie with Richard Todd (and their other Todd movies like Rob Roy and The Sword and the Rose) were killer.

We have the whole series on DVD, we've watched every episode many times and still enjoy them

We also like old '50s western series like Cowboy G-men, Shotgun Slade, 26 Men, the Gabby Hayes show, Cisco Kid- fun stuff! 

TCM is a god send!  Love Film Noir the most ; lots of great footage of Bunker Hill ( which was demolished in the 60s , to much protest ) .

I'm also a fan of French and Spanish films , new and vintage .

My favouriteTV. programme is the Jack Benny Show , as he is one of my favourite comedians .

The Monkees. .. many fond memories. 

M

We have the whole series on DVD, we've watched every episode many times and still enjoy them

We also like old '50s western series like Cowboy G-men, Shotgun Slade, 26 Men, the Gabby Hayes show, Cisco Kid- fun stuff! 

I have a boxed DVD set of 600 episodes of 50s TV westerns including those. Amazing what's there.

I have a boxed DVD set of 600 episodes of 50s TV westerns including those. Amazing what's there.

Wow, 600 episodes! I have the "Ultimate TV Westerns" set which has 150 episodes and another box set of westerns with 50 episodes. I also have the complete "Adventures of Sir Lancelot", and "The Buccaneers", which were produced by Hannah Weinstein, who was the producer of the Robin Hood series. Kind of an interesting factoid: Hannah Weinstein moved from Hollywood to Britain during the Mc Carthy era and hired blacklisted writers to write episodes of Robin Hood, which were then sent back to the USA.