Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der Beetle Bus XL-426 Hemi Build Up Complete-12/23

I managed to work on my "OOB" build this morning. I didn't like the front tires from this kit because they were just too wide so I used the skinnier one's from the AMT '67 Chevelle kit. I chucked a 12mm socket up in my cordless drill and mounted each of the four tires up, one at a time on to the socket and spun the tires up on some sandpaper to rough up the tread araas some. I also treated each of the wheels to a coat of X-22 Smoke for that true metal/ chrome look. After that I installed all four wheel and tires.

Here's the progress so far:

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Carl.

Ok I'm back with today's update. Folks I had to ditch the front wheels as well. First off , I just didn't like the way they looked. Secondly , these things, no matter how much I cut them down on the back of the wheel where they mounted up to the axle just stuck out way to far outside of the body.

Here's where I started at this morning when test fitting the body onto the chassis to see if everything was going to work out ok. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have been very happy with this..........

After cutting the backs of the OOB wheels down it wasn't too much better...........

So I scrapped the OOB front wheels and went with some Cragar SS's I had in the spares bin. Now THAT'S more like it!!!!!!!!!

The engine? Well it's probably the most primitive Hemi engine I've seen but there aint no way in HELL I'm going to use my Ross/Gibson Hemi on THIS build! lol

I painted the engine metal flake blue , drilled some holes in the rocker covers for ignition wires and while I was on the rocker covers , applied a little Tamiya Smoke to them.

Engine progress for this morning.......

After looking at it for a while I don't know if I'll use this 426 Hemi or another OOB Hemi from 30 years ago. Will be thinking on this part.... :hmm:

Okeedokee folks. On page 3 I left off with the OOB engine with no timing cover, water pump....nothin'. Man did that look blank! I was initially going with a Hemi that I built as a kid and then backed out of that one just because of all the mods I would have to do to get it looking right and fitting. So I took the timing cover and water pump from that engine and put over onto this engine first of all. Secondly, I couldn't leave the engine with now ignition system given all this effort I'm going through to "enhance" things a bit so I added some wire's from Lex's after drilling out the distributor cap and going through the usual process of installing wires into the cap and routing and all. 

The current progress with the L/H OOB injector stack test fitted and a dang timing cover on the front of it for cryin' out loud.

001_zpsgkwtnrjv.jpg

Lastly, speaking of injector stacks,  while I like the idea of those on this kit I strongly dislike all the seam lines and flash associated with the parts that AMT used. From a distance they look great and the stacks are at least not molded together but close up they are a complete disaster that would require total reworking to straighten out!

Let's zoom in a little closer....

002_zpsrplvqlks.jpg

So I'll start fixing that by cutting off the stacks from the bases....

003_zps6oriw1vq.jpg

Here's what I'm going to use instead. I picked up some aluminum tube from HL and will cut each stalk in half, chuck it up in a drill and spin it up in the steel wool there beside the stalk here to start a base for the shining process and then switch over to spinning it up in a polishing cloth with some Mothers Aluminum polish to "polish" things off. Sorry...............couldn't help the pun. sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw

004_zpsklyo8tqf.jpg

I needed locators in which to create a strong adhesion and to help line everything up so I chose some smaller diameter brass rod that slips right into the aluminum rod perfectly.

005_zpsy7t6klcx.jpg

and in one photo I'll illustrate the process. I drilled into the injector stack base at each outlet to create a pilot hole for the brass rod which fits snugly inside each hole, then will slip the aluminum rod over the short lengths of brass rod like so.............

006_zpsaqaemjxm.jpg

and then slid it on down to it's "home" position like so..............and do 7 more like that and I'll be home free with a lot better looking stacks than  I started out with.

007_zpstkc3l3s5.jpg

I got the engine installed this morning but before I did I mounted the cooling fan up and made some minor adjustments to the radiator. I've never seen a cooling fan installed..........on the crankshaft pulley???? Too weird and I didn't like it and besides, the OOB fan was too dang bulky and big anyhow. I went with a cooling fan from Revell's Pro Stock Thunderbird kit and it worked great AND I installed it in the "normal" position at the water pump pulley. Criminy! 4fvgdaq_th

I'm also in the process of stripping all the chrome from the fuel injector stack bases so I can apply gloss black to them and shoot a coat of Alclad chrome over them.

Anyhow here's this morning's progress report...............

001_zpswe3lrboj.jpg

002_zpszzb1ektq.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I managed to get some things done today on the interior and I got a gloss black coat over the injector stack bases. After that dries I'll shoot some Alclad over them and start working on installation of the stacks.

While the injector stacks were drying I couldn't help myself any longer. I had primed a spare roof section from my cut up bus a couple of days ago and decided to spray the base coat yesterday followed up with the clear this morning. The results are EXACTLY what I was after. In the pictures below you'll see the teal base color but you'll also be able to pick out the blue and purple on the curves and angles. This color has always been one of my favorites due to the sheer wickedness of its look.............

Joe that Hemi is DA BOMB!!!! The injector tubes are KILLER man! NICE way to make them too! LOVE IT! Something I gotta ask about, the alternator, you know its upside-down, right? OR did you do that to make it "fit" within the confines of the inside? (This would be my guess here) NICE even so tho...

(And I agree) I would NOT use a Ross Gibson in there....

GREAT work man! That body color is different, but I like it and the frame is something else too!

Joe: Thanks and I would paint the other body that color if it were a molded in yellow kit. I do like the gold/ greenish paint look.

John: Thank you as well sir. All that detail is so hidden that it really doesn't make much difference. Really the only reason I moved the fan up any is because it would have been hidden too if I had of relocated it.

I didn't get a whole lot of bench time in this morning (1 hour) like I usually get on the weekend (3+ hours) as I've been really tired the last few days and it caught up with me yesterday so I slept in a little bit longer this morning. I did get my injector stack bases coated with some Alclad II this morning and started working on a replacement fuel cell for the OOB build.

On the left and in the back ground is the OOB fuel cell which to me just looks TOTALLY ridiculous so I opted for one from my Camaro Pro Stock kit which looks less toy like (like that whole kit doesn't look that way already right?) plus I get to detail it a little bit more than the OOB one. Got it glued together and I'll be working on the seam line and detailing in the days to come.

Thanks James. Yeah this one was supposed to be an OOB build and I get ribbed a lot in good fun on some of the other sites about not being able to build anything OOB. I argue back that it'll at least be 80% OOB. :D

Hey Joe,

Tell all of your critics. It is out of the box ! Cause there is more room on the workbench ! hehehe

Be Well

Gator

And them BAM, it'll looks like 500 hours of work came together. It's coming along nicely Joe. 

I need to really get off my rump and finish mine.

Thanks Dave! This is the OOB one here. I'm putting all of my efforts into getting this one completed so I can focus my attention back on my modified bus...........and my Arado 234 Blitz Bomber.

There's a lot of work going into the Arado as well. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment for the details.....

Here's the cockpit tub assy with a just.......a mere 35 parts.....

004_zps4qldc5p7.jpg

005_zpsgvagiz5o.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

LOL. Well.........with the side panels it's about 50 or so. sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw.gif

I got all the sanding done on the inside of the roofline and decided to add a little individuality to the body. The kit actually comes with some pretty cool and fun decals.

001_zpsrwnb26sw.jpg

002_zps9dmiqtcs.jpg

Edited by mustang1989