Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der Beetle Bus XL-426 Hemi Build Up Complete-12/23

Thanks James, Richard and Dave.

I've given thought to that Dave. I'll see how it all pans out and I'll make a decision from there. And this was going to be a lightly modified OOB build................whatever!!! lol

I know how that goes, I told myself I was going to do a quick slightly modified version too. That didn't go as planned.:blink:

I know how that goes, I told myself I was going to do a quick slightly modified version too. That didn't go as planned.:blink:

It's a feeling that's all too familiar. lol

I like the idea you have with those fenders. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Thanks Jeremy.

I've got the R/H side graphed in. I still have to do some body work and trimming but it's in there. I've got it mocked up here with my spun aluminum Weld Draglites. I may have to order a 5 lug version with a deeper offset in the back for that deep dish effect. Although initially not trued up , I'll get it all ironed out in the body work process. Yeah...............this look suits me a whole lot better!

Yeah, about that rear wheel well... that looks great! I feel like I want something like it on mine now. Back to the "cuttin board" Dang it. :rolleyes:

You see, those were my thoughts when I decided to graph in the wheel wells. Hopefully I'm through with all the cuttin' so I can start buildin'................no............wait...........I've still gotta cut the rear flooring between the rear wheel tubs in order to widen them. Arrrrgh!!!   It's all good though. I like these custom builds because they tend to tell me where to go with the build. lol

Looking great Joe, i like the modifications. I am ready to watch you go it again.. 

Thanks Carl. Glad to have you on board.:D

Thanks guys !

Today I graphed in the L/H fender skirt and got it glued in. I also cut out the rear wheel tub section so I can widen the wheel tubs and narrow the center section. I've got some work to do if I want to pull all this off is all I've gotta say. The paint I want to use is being mixed up at the dealership that I used to work at so that should be ready in the coming week or so. Of interest to me was the fact that it's acrylic paint that's used in the body shops now.

Here's where I'm at as of now:

Edited by mustang1989

Ok folks I managed to get the rear wheel tub mod completed. I've still got to relocate the spring perches and use a different rear axle and suspension but I'll get to that a little later. Here's some progress pics of the wheel tub and center section mods...........

Before:

During.....

I also managed to clean up the header exit cut out holes on the sides of the engine/ transmission cutout area. Still have some sanding and filling to go on the tubs but it's minimal.

I'm also still working on the clean up around the rear wheel opening on the body. It'll be a bit before I post any substantial progress due to still being in the idea and development part of the build.

Thanks Gator and John.

I've been all over this thing like a rat on a cheeto filling and sanding and more filling and sanding on the body, roof and the wheel tub area of the chassis. Posting pictures would be a complete waste of time as it all looks about the same but this is the point at which I have to spend most of my time ensuring that this is all going to come together without looking like "Frankenstien". There'll be a payoff in the end I know but I sure wished this part went quicker because I can't stand body work.:bored:

Ok I got a little more benchtime during the day and I think I've got the rear suspension about figured out to where I can put the wheel in just the right place. I turned to AMT's 67 Chevelle SS396 for that. I sectioned out the framework for the axle well and graphed it into place. I had to shave some off of the axle mounts themselves so I could position the tire /wheel up into the wheel well a little but I think I've got it about where I want it right now. Still gotta figure out the chassis frame work and fabricate rear springs but those shouldn't be too big of an issue. Getting the rear suspension/ differential combo was the hardest part I thought.

Well .......I got the primer coat applied and so far it looks pretty good. I've still got some work to do as there are a couple of things that didn't show up under the wipe down prior to priming but it looks like it's all manageable, but hey, a guy can't do all this cutting and hacking and NOT have any body work left over to do you know.  Wink There are a few bubbles in the primer and I couldn't for the life of me figure that out until.............I let my dog outside and found out that it was raining lightly. There aint that many thankfully and a little sanding outta get rid of the few that are there. Whew!! Got by with that one! 

I've found out ya can't just build one...so many different ideas to make it cool. I'm still waiting on mine to get back from the "body shop". I did print out my own true flame decals though. Icy blue and white lightning with real fire flames! Chopped top, sectioned body, with a rake cut into the body tubbed front engine center seat dragster! If you can get head around that! I hope to get started soon but for now I'll have to live though you guys!