Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford roadster salt flat racer

JTalmage

This one sort of just came together for me while I was browsing Ebay.

One of the sellers I follow had a really cool looking resin salt flat roadster body that I really liked. Then another seller listed a complete chassis to the Thom Taylor '34 convertible.... gears started turning... So I bought both. Then I found a photo etched grille. After that I was given a bunch of parts and among them were a really nice looking smallblock chevy.

I would love for the smallblock to have 3 carbs, but all I have is a nice 4 barrel manifold. Plus the chassis is setup for a 9" axle. So I envision this car to be a tribute to a salt flat class racer of the early 60's. Things might change, I'd like to find a nice transversely sprung axle w/ a quick change, and a tri carb mani and go full vintage... but for now i'm working w/ what I have. 

The wheels/tires I have for this thing as of right now, I am not really feeling. They are too small in diameter and are not staggered in size. I'd prefer the rears to be taller. The plan is to take whatever wheels I find and go with the spun aluminum salt flat covers too.

Here's what I have so far... Let me know what you think or any tips you have to improve this thing even more. I am still trying to figure out what to do to make steering parts.

I got some real nice resin parts from Replicas & Miniatures a while ago. Their part # SRD-1103 is a very nice Chevrolet 3 deuce intake. They also have part # P-123 "Hedman" type headers, great block hugger style. Just a thought if you're still going for the tri-power setup.

Oh yeah. Fenderless '34 Fords on the dry lakes...very right, and somewhat unusual to see modeled. 

I assume this is the one you were asking about the Revell '29-'30 tires for, and they would be right at home.

Whoever did the master for that '34 did a real nice job on the tonneau too, looks like.  :D

That body is from Altered States Models and is a really nice piece. Top quality. I built one a few years back as part of a race team set along with a matching trailer and shop truck. The basic chassis was the AMT '34 Ford 5-window coupe. I used the dropped axle from the Monogram '37 Ford Sedan and Pickup kits. As Espo said, Replicas & Miniatures makes a really nice Tri-Carb manifold that would be ideal for your concept. Here's a link to the w.i.p. for my model, it might give you some ideas: '34 Ford Highboy Dry-Lakes Roadster.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Definitely needs taller rear tires. Other than that, you're off to a good start, IMHO

My thoughts exactly. It's a 1/24 scale body and chassis and those short '40 Ford wheels aren't going to cut it. 

I got some real nice resin parts from Replicas & Miniatures a while ago. Their part # SRD-1103 is a very nice Chevrolet 3 deuce intake. They also have part # P-123 "Hedman" type headers, great block hugger style. Just a thought if you're still going for the tri-power setup.

Thanks for the tip on those parts, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Oh yeah. Fenderless '34 Fords on the dry lakes...very right, and somewhat unusual to see modeled. 

I assume this is the one you were asking about the Revell '29-'30 tires for, and they would be right at home.

Whoever did the master for that '34 did a real nice job on the tonneau too, looks like.  :D

Yes, the very same. I figured I'd just go ahead and start a thread for it. Might keep me inspired. This is actually an "Altered States" body. He sells a ton of stuff on Ebay, stuff that's not even on his website. I think he goes by "olmandowntheroad" on ebay. He makes a nice '30 as well that would go w/ the old monogram kit.

Very nice!

I have a few WIPS influenced by the salt flats as well.  Will be watching this one, for sure.

Thanks, I have grown more fond of them lately! I would like to do more for sure. There was some cool stuff on the salt back then!

A set of Etzel's Speed Classics Champ Car wheels & tires (resin) would be perfect for this car!  Those are Halibrand magnesium wheels with Firestone Deluxe Champion racing tires, the same casings as used at Indianapolis from about 1949 through 1963 (the year of the GREAT tire controversy!).  For the salt flats, Firestone simply buffed off the "shoulders" of the tread on those tires, then cut simple concentric tread grooves in them.   18" rears, 16" fronts.  Some Bonneville racers used spun aluminum discs on the wheels, and some did not.

Art

Oh how nice those revell wheels and tires are! just imagine these with the aluminum discs and that will be that!

This thing has the look that I anticipated now. I think I'll keep the 9" under it. it works well for this build. it's no transverse sprung quick change, but it will do. I also used the Buick drums from the 30 model a kit, and I drilled out the front and rear axles out to accommodate the metal drive pins... after I cut off the old style snap on pegs from the axles of course.

You're off to a great start! The new Revell Model A wheels and tires look awesome on it.

Just so you know, the engine in the Thom Taylor kit, although they tried to dress it up like a small block Chevy, is actually a Pontiac. It's the same engine from the ZZ Top Coupe sister kit, minus the "ZZ" logos on the air filter and valve covers. 

B)

I did not know that. Although I am not using that engine. I have an actual smallblock chevy with front timing cover engine mount.  No idea what it's from, but I'm going to make it work. 

I did notice the Revell '30 has a 3 carb manifold. I'll be picking up another one of those kits for parts in order to build this thing, and I'll just use that. So that problem is solved.

I am thinking I'd also like to somehow make the front end tilt. Haven't given much thought as to how, but I think it would be a nice touch as the resin nose is molded as one piece. Would add that extra bit of "trick" touch. 

I have still yet to bob the rear frame rails. I ordered some Archer louvers, I plan on making a rear roll pan and adding louvers, and also louvering the hood and the trunk. 

Should be picking up a set of the salt flat aluminum discs thursday evening. 

The interior bucket is very street rod looking. I imagine I'll have to sand off that detail and make it more "bare bones" looking

I still have to figure out how to connect the steering shaft to the front end. Something I have an idea about, but not very familiar with on old hot rods since there are many ways to do this.

I researched and forgot that the Ford 9" came into production in '57. So I think I can get by with it and not feel too bad about not using a quick change. 

Bobbed the rear frame rails. almost a little too much. I might add material and redo it. 

My decal sheet came in from Archer. They sent me the comoletely wrong thing. bummer.

Figured out the transmission on my small block is a powerglide. not sure if a pover glide would have been used or even ideal at the salt flats.... so if anyone has anyou insight on that, it would be great. 

Picked up my salt flat moon discs. Super excited about those because they look rad. 

Take a look!

You kind of lost me with "Small Block Chevy"... then came "Powerglide"... yech. But even then, it's shaping up perfectly. It would look absolutely mean in a slightly distressed shade of factory dark green or blue. I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine Bonneville guys started running Powerglides about five minutes after you could start finding them in abundance at salvage yards, though I'm not sure how effective a trans with only two speeds would be if you're trying to set a top speed record. 

I'm not talking about gearing. Not necessarily anyway. I'm talking about how much of a toll a 'Slip-and-slide' transmission that only shifts once might take on the engine. They may be just dandy for drag racing (in highly modified form), but I'm not sure if I'd trust one if I had the thing floored for two ten-mile blasts. I'd want something a tad more efficient. 

Ok. I'm open to suggestions. I am no pro when it comes to knowing what's right or what's wrong. 

What transmission would be the hot ticket item to have in about 1960?

I know the Chevy smallblock is cliché but, at that time, it was fast and powerful right out of the junkyard. 

Ok. I'm open to suggestions. I am no pro when it comes to knowing what's right or what's wrong. 

What transmission would be the hot ticket item to have in about 1960?

The Borg-Warner T10 four-speed was introduced in '57 on the Corvette.   Image result for borg warner T10 57 Corvette

It's a high-performance classic, and there's a good one in the AMT parts pack that has the Corvair and Chrysler engines.

Image result for amt chrysler parts pack

Edited by Ace-Garageguy