Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stroker McGurk

Round 2 is talking about bring back an old MPC Stroker McGurk model kit. From from the photo they've shown so far, it looks like it will be the Hot Rod Surf Board Boat. These were long gone before I really got big into modeling in the mid-60's. There is one for sure build up if you do a Google search. Looks pretty cool. I plan on getting one when they come back.

Since they still have McGurk, I wonder if they still have the Hot Curl surfer model kits tooling laying around? I love this old stuff Round 2 keeps on digger up. It's fun to get a chance to buy models I missed the first time around. Thank you Round 2.

I wonder if they still have the Hot Curl surfer model kits tooling laying around?

They had a survey on their old site (www*dot*round2corp.com which now leads to the new site) two, maybe three, years ago, asking if they should bring back Hot Curl, Curl's Girl and Hot Shot. I'm guessing they noted the lack of interest and decided not to proceed. 

Hmm, looks like they went so far as to create some boxes for display at iHobby 2011:

http://culttvman.com/main/ihobbyexpo-2011-round-2-announcements/

ihobby2011r2031.jpg

Edited by Casey

They had a survey on their old site (www*dot*round2corp.com which now leads to the new site) two, maybe three, years ago, asking if they should bring back Hot Curl, Curl's Girl and Hot Shot. I'm guessing they noted the lack of interest and decided not to proceed. 

Hmm, looks like they went so far as to create some boxes for display at iHobby 2011:

http://culttvman.com/main/ihobbyexpo-2011-round-2-announcements/

ihobby2011r2031.jpg

Hot Curl himself (the center kit) is the one I'd really like to see come back. I'm sorry to hear that the idea was looked at, but went no where. I do have the resin Hot Curl put out by Replicas and Miniatures of Md. that is a copy of the smaller version that came with MPC's old Wild Ones '29 Ford Model A Wagon/Pickup kit. But, I'd really like a copy of the larger kit too. The other two Hot Curl related kits do not interest me as much. But, if Round 2 reissued them, I have to add them to my collection too.

In past searches on the web, I've never been able to find any photos of the three kits above. One of our local MCCM members has a modified Hot Curl the group calls "Ralphy." But, he rarely brings the kit, and I haven't seen it in serveral years now. Does anybody out there have photos of these three kits? Built or unbuilt? Or knows where one can see pictures of these kits? I only know of them from Ralphy of course, and there box art being show in my 1967 Auto World catalog. I'd love to see and know more about them.

If I remember correctly, all three of the Hot Curl kits were listed and available for pre-order at Tower Hobbies soon after the iHobby show. I did have each of the available kits pre-ordered, but they were cancelled relatively soon afterwards. Hopefully they will bring back one, or more, of the Stroker McGurk kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is peculiar that the tags are dated '97 and '98

Wonder if at one time they where to be re-released and then cancelled?

I noticed that, too. I suspect is it from when Ertl started the tooling inventory/test shot process. Only "L. Kerper(sp?)" knows for sure! :D

• 6 years later...