Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Edsel - Done

gtx6970

Well, I can honestly say this one is finished. Original issue AMT annual kit that was a completely untouched near mint kit  when I got it.  But ,,,,, I buy to build not collect dust. And this one was no exception. With it having been made the same year I was ,,, It's been on my short list since the day I got it last year.

Painted in Tamiya Light Coral turquoise with 3 coats of Testors wet look clear on top  with a 2 tone turquoise and white interior and I used embossing powder to replicate the carpeting. Body inserts are done with Tamiya Pure white then the spears were brush painted with Testors magnesuim buffing metalizer then buffed down to get the look I was after.    I also used AMT parts pack wide white wall tires in place the rock hard originals, otherwise all box stock ( Hood doesn't open on these old kits ) . All the emblems were foiled before any paint went on then cleaned off with a fine point Tamiya  cotton swab before the clear coats were applied . ( so many thanks for the tip Steve )

Comments or criticisms  more than welcome.

Thanks for looking in.

left.JPG

left-2.JPG

left-rear.JPG

right.JPG

right-front2.jpg

right-rear.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Really nice build of a very beautiful car !  

Personally I'm glad to see these kind of models built, how much more enjoyment you got from actually building it.   Leaving it untouched in the box is like owning a Ferrari and never driving it...:)

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Terrific work Bill!

You've been on a bit of a building "terror" here lately.

Can I borrow a little of your mojo?

I can't seem to get anything accomplished! :P

Very nice job!!

Steve

Steve,

If I could give it to you,,I would. Winter time is my slow time. So I seem to get more bench time. And remember, there isn't much detail to these old annuals. The chassis is just spray bombed a semi gloss black and I detail paint the tail pipes and gas tanks only ,,even then only if I they hang low enough I can see them once its in my case. Plus ,,and keep in mind bud  I don't build anywhere near your level.

This is another one where I saw the real car for inspiration 1st long before the model was ever on the bench. And while perusing my local hobby shops paint rack I spotted the color and I knew exactly what to use it on.

Thanks all for the kind words,I really appreciate it .  I am super happy with how it turned out.

http://www.schmitt.com/vendio/405403JS-5.jpg

Edited by gtx6970