Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts ID Help Please

I have three parts I could use some help identifying which kits they originally came from.

1. Dark blue (maybe a little greyish, but doesn't appear to be metallic, and darker than the blue Revell used in the late '80s/early '90s) driveshaft, appears to have been molded with the rearend/differential center section at one time? It does "feel" like 1/25 scale, and not 1/24:

2. Handlebars from...some crazy custom type vehicle? No idea on this one, but the plastic underneath the chrome plating is bright yellow, and the part itself doesn't appear to be too old:

3. Inner fender/wheelhouse from ???? Kind of "feels" like '60s AMT plastic, but could be MPC, too. SHown next to a 1/24 Monogram Chevy Luv Stepsider fender. The semi-circular notch and the bottom edge appears to be original to the part, too:

• 2 weeks later...

That "handlebar" part might be a piece of the exhaust from a Revell J-2000 pro street kit.  I can't say for sure because I no longer have one, but it does look familiar.

Thanks, Mark, I think that might be it. I think that car had those two little radiators, so it could very well be a coolant pipe.

One more to ask about, and I'm pretty sure this is from an AMT '62 ('63?) Chevy II kit, but not sure if any other AMT kits include a Chevy inline six.

One more to ask about, and I'm pretty sure this is from an AMT '62 ('63?) Chevy II kit, but not sure if any other AMT kits include a Chevy inline six.

Correct, Casey.  It's an AMT '62 Chevy II six (possibly in the '63 too-I don't have one of those).

The AMT '64 Chevelle wagon and ElCamino contain similar, but not identical engines.  The ElCamino has a chrome-plated air cleaner and valve cover, the wagon has no chrome pieces. 

That particular engine is from the '63 Nova wagon.  The '62 hardtop and convertible used that engine too, but those had the intake/exhaust manifolds molded as part of the engine block half with the carburetor molded alongside the valve cover.  For '63, the engine was altered and reused in the wagon.  The hardtop and convertible kits got a small-block V8 (which was not offered by Chevrolet until '64).

• 4 years later...

More parts to identify, if anyone is game...sorry for the crude numbering:

prts0_LI.thumb.jpg.2b3e026ad9aafdcb61fe9a079aa84b24.jpg

1. Panels are from the Revell Mooneyes Dragster, but not sure about the box/cooler thing?
  2. Black dashboard from...MPC Chevy 4x4? (not from Revell CSP)
  3. Turtle deck (appears to be painted with a light coat of gloss grey
  4. 1/25 IMC VW Beetle hood
  5. 1/25 Revell VW Beetle engine cover scoop
  6. Red hood...AMT Ford Courier?
  7. 1/25 JO-HAN Hauling Hearse/Ambulance rear door
  8. 1/25 Revell Datsun 240Z hood
  9. 1/25 Revell Lil John Buttera Chopped '34 Ford Coupe roof section
  10. 1/25 JO-HAN Funny Can tinwork
  11. 1/20 MPC '70 AMX custom hood
  12. 1/25 Revell Chevy 4x4 Chevy Street Pickup hood
  13. 1/25 Revell Jeep Golden Hawk (Snap) hood
  14. 1/25 AMT '75+ Ford Econoline Van hood
  15. AMT or MPC Chevy Monza rear body cap?
  16. Orange tailgate from...?

Additional images:

prts1.jpg.7ce9ea9eedaa2227f4eeab428ee7404e.jpg

prts5.jpg.4be8acab66b22afb11fc293b45e7bfa2.jpg

prts2.jpg.6a35c1f94aa328b31d6b44fe38406d6a.jpg

prts6.jpg.a47d3900581518add9a5480adfa1f59a.jpg

prts3.jpg.c002c41aa893aa4df06e38876590b97a.jpg

prts8.jpg

Edited by Casey

I think 10 might be the cockpit piece from a Johan funny car like Boss Hoss or Crazy Horse kits. 12 looks like the hood from the Revell stepside square body hot rod truck, 2 might be the dash from the same kit. That red dash might be from the MPC 80s Bronco. 

Edited by Fat Brian

#5 is the side window scoop from the original Revell VW bug. This is the pink one, it also came in the Inch Pincher.

#7 yes.

#8 yes

#9 looks more the top to the Revell Buttera 34 Ford Coupe.

#11 should be the custom hood from the MPC AMX.

#15 you're correct.

Thanks, all. I edited and bolded the "solved" parts on the list. Still unsure of the red hood, though Not the Ford Courier, and not the MPC Dodge D-50, though it is very similar.

I checked out a Revell Chevy Street Pickup, and confirmed Brian's thought above, but the dash is slightly different, especially how the gauges and vents are laid out. Might be from the snap Revell Blazer or Captain Hook snap wrecker.

#1 Box/cooler thing is not from the Revell Mooneyes dragster.

#2 black dash, I don't think it's from a Squarebody truck...passenger side all wrong for that. Might be from a Revell Chevy van.

#3 turtle deck is Revell Custom Car Parts 23 T body (parts pack)

#6 red hood is MPC '82 Chevy Cavalier

#15 Monza rear body cap. MPC molded this section as part of the body, so it 's not that. AMT's was separate, but I don't think it's from the AMT kit. I'm pretty sure your piece is from Nitto's Monza kit. I have a but Nitto Oldsmobile Starfire and from memory it's noticeably larger than the MPC or AMT Monza kits. Nitto did a Buick Skyhawk too. So did Yamada, and that one was reissued by Doyusha.

#16 Orange tailgate, is from the stepside version of Monogram's Chevy LUV.

Edited by Don Sikora II

1 hour ago, Don Sikora II said:

#15 Monza rear body cap. MPC molded this section as part of the body, so it 's not that. AMT's was separate, but I don't think it's from the AMT kit. I'm pretty sure your piece is from Nitto's Monza kit. I have a but Nitto Oldsmobile Starfire and from memory it's noticeably larger than the MPC or AMT Monza kits. Nitto did a Buick Skyhawk too. So did Yamada, and that one was reissued by Doyusha.

Thanks Don.

Nitto Buick Skyhawk front and rear body cap pic from this topic...looks like a match:

NittoNHSkyhawk2.jpg.25eba2e53975aa4e82fb6e3005a49313.jpg.fa7f5d58fbe648a6894ada0eec087faf.jpg

Turtle deck may be parts pack as mentioned. Also if painted could be from Little T later issues. AMT has molded handle, this does not. I think deck disappeared along the way, I think after SweetTee in an issue molded in red with trailer. Prior to the brass chrome issue. Early Iron maybe? 
Tailgate is not Revell Luv step side. They sold that bed in parts pack. That said, does it’s dash match?

image.jpeg.67b254f701bb203588a2994cf3e2c588.jpeg

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks to me like the hood from the Dodge D50

I did check the hood against that kit with a nice example on eBay, and it was not a match. Don S. identified it correctly:

On 2/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, Don Sikora II said:

#6 red hood is MPC '82 Chevy Cavalier

Thanks for the help, all.