Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am creating a website about models and I want input!

I see this is trying to get out of hand. Rule number one around here is be polite. Please remember, and act on it.

Mark, I suggest you rethink your business/website idea. Here's why.

• You generally want to go after expanding markets of sufficient size. Model cars are fun, but the consensus here is that while there is money to be made, the market is is not large, and it's shrinking, at least in the USA.
  • The era of portals, and online magazines has mostly gone away. Google and Bing searches are very good. A bit of digging, and you generally find what you're looking for. There's still a place for pulling content online, but you need to be an effective curator of that content.
  • Good content is more than just having good writers. The writing in Scale Auto magazine is generally very good because everything goes through a professional copywriter, and they have good production standards. But, it's got no soul, nor does it have any personality. You need those if you're going to be fun to read.
  • You need to be authentic. Your candor regarding your interests is commendable, but coming in here with a name like ModelKitBuilder, then saying you have no interest in model cars is impolitic. Then you ask for free market research without establishing any common interests with those who're providing it. As you've seen, not being an authentically interested party can provoke hostile reactions.
  • In our current-day Internet content, it's your own passion for the subject matter that really makes something worth reading or watching.
  • While ad filled articles, (un)popularly known as clickbait are common, they are not well regarded, and will probably fall victim to improved ad blocking in the near future. This not to say you can't generate ad revenue. We use ad revenue to defray our operating costs. But, it's a lot harder now, and you need an active, committed community. That requires authenticity. (see above)

At this point, you should pick something you're interested in, and pursue that. You'll find it much more satisfying.

To everyone else, let's keep this civil. We're here to have fun, not get mad.

Well..... maybe model-kit-builder will figure out that he (or his line of thinking) isn't what this forum is about.  He said, a couple of times that we (the members) should leave if we don't agree with him. I think he'll leave after he finds there are no takers here.

Well..... maybe model-kit-builder will figure out that he (or his line of thinking) isn't what this forum is about.  He said, a couple of times that we (the members) should leave if we don't agree with him. I think he'll leave after he finds there are no takers here.

That may have happened, it's been 22hr since his last post. And even though we continue to carry on, he has no reply. 

I think I'll go build something now...

Well congrats guys!  It took a bunch of cranky old men to beat up a high school kid with ambition.

Mark, if you're still around...  I'm also from Hazlet, transplanted to PA.  The Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meets monthly in Perth Amboy.   If you want to see what model car builders are really like, come to a meeting.  We will be nice. 

Check our meeting schedule at:

http://www.tssmcc.org

My guess is he figured out by now the regular contributors here are much older and many have known each other for years.  Many have pointed out the newcomer should take his market research somewhere else.  I have no problem with giving people some free advice and if they can figure out a way to profit from it so be it - they still have to do a lot of work to get to that point.  He probably did not expect they backlash and will have to decide do a few people represent the majority of the hobby or are they outliers.  Personally I think his efforts should focus on things like assisting vendors that do not use a website to market and sell their products.  How about a live broadcast from a NNL show for those unable to attend and interviews with some of the attendees.  If this hobby if going to outlive the current participants, the interest level has to be expanded some how.  I've suggested some very simple changes to how some events are managed and know what it's like to get mostly negative feedback because people take recommendations as just being criticism.