Model Cars Magazine Forum

Preview - what's new with Round 2's upcoming Tom McEwen Hot Wheels Dragster kit?

tim boyd

Round 2 will soon introduce a new kit replicating the Tom McEwen Hot Wheels rear (actually, mid) engine dragster in its 1972 guise.  The kit is similar to the new Don Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" Hot Wheels dragsster kit, but there are some key differences.  

Here's a preview of the McEwen kit, along with a comparo to the Yellow Feather kit.  

Make sure to use the "Roll View" feature so you can quickly scan through the pictures while reading the captions/commentary that goes with each picture.  Enjoy.....TIM DSC 0112

Odd that Round2 edited out the Coca-Cola logos on the real car, but they (and it appears quite a few extras?) are present on the decal sheet, as well as the Reyes photos on the long side of the box. Maybe there were other subtle differences/version in 1972 for this particular car, though, hence the extra Coca-Cola decals.

Edited by Casey

I just picked up the MPC Don Prudhomme Yellow Feather Rear Engine Dragster kit.  Compared It to the AMT Ertl Don Garlits Wynn's Charger Rear Dragster kit that I had on my shelf.  It is almost identical.    What gives????????????

I just picked up the MPC Don Prudhomme Yellow Feather Rear Engine Dragster kit.  Compared It to the AMT Ertl Don Garlits Wynn's Charger Rear Dragster kit that I had on my shelf.  It is almost identical.    What gives????????????

Yes it just had newly tooled wing struts and blower hat, along with the new decals and pad printed drag slicks.  The other parts Tim is referencing are in terms of the Tom McEwen which is slated for release in February.

Tim states that this is based of the 1972 Don Garlits kit issue. They just added some parts to make up the small differences between the cars and new decals. 

Most of the current Dragster re-issues are going to be based on previous kits with some upgrades and changes. 

I just did the Prudhomme car. I remember these rails from when they were new, still good kits. Front rims in this medium and scale are always a compromise and I wish they had re-tooled the body with the sides mated with the top. I'll bet  a vacuum formed body could be done The new stuff is better and the decals are great.

I saw both the Prudhomme kit and the Garlits kit at the hobby shop today. The kits look to be identical except for the extra injector hat pieces and the decals. So this begs the question- which kit is more correct? Was the real Prudhomme car a Garlits chassis or is the "Garlits/Swingle chassis in the Garlits kit  something else? Or are they BOTH incorrect?

I saw both the Prudhomme kit and the Garlits kit at the hobby shop today. The kits look to be identical except for the extra injector hat pieces and the decals. So this begs the question- which kit is more correct? Was the real Prudhomme car a Garlits chassis or is the "Garlits/Swingle chassis in the Garlits kit  something else? Or are they BOTH incorrect?

The Snake car was a Kent Fuller car, I think built in early 1972 after the wedge, One thing I noticed in the kit, is that it does not have the Lenco 2 speed transmission, even though it is mentioned on the brochure that comes with the kit. The yet to be released Mongoose dragster was a Garlits built car.

This is the orignal Garlits rear engine car with some new parts

Edited by tbusch

They are not exactly identical kits.  Close, but there area few elements unique to each kit.  Conversely, the top hat parts are identical to both kits.  Check out the original review I posted at the beginning of this thread for exact details....thanks...TIM 

Thanks once again for the clear, succinct review, Tim! An interesting kit from a marketing perspective. It would appear that, perhaps thanks to Round2, Revell has recognized the importance of authentic branding in their kits. Goodyear tires, printed on the sidewall yet???? The decal sheet, too, contains vast quantities of trademarked logos! Hallelujah!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks once again for the clear, succinct review, Tim! An interesting kit from a marketing perspective. It would appear that, perhaps thanks to Round2, Revell has recognized the importance of authentic branding in their kits. Goodyear tires, printed on the sidewall yet???? The decal sheet, too, contains vast quantities of trademarked logos! Hallelujah!

The Round2 guys, Tom Lowe for sure, have some good connections in the licensing world and are not scared to use them. I talked to them at Toledo NNL 2014 about getting Coke and how many projects they could spread it over......they may have been working on it already......but they did it no matter the path. They are doing the showrod 'Coke Machine' and NASCR Bobby Allison Mercury as well as others. They set a high bar. 

PS ...I did licensing in NASCAR for 20 years......I know how hard it can be!!! 

Edited by Dave Van

Oops!!!! It's an MPC kit, so its a Round2 release. Duh.... The cover art reminded me a lot of Revell kits. Anyway, now if Revell did get the message about how brand detail really adds value to the kits...