Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 nova..

Jmaracing

Joe, your build looks excellent with outstanding scratch-building, detailing and paintwork!  Now if I might ask you a question based in my own ignorance regarding these 1:1 drag cars.

Looking at the carbs and other mechanicals on the top of your great looking engine, and seeing just how far those carbs and mechanicals rise above the actual hood surface, why is the hood scoop so much taller and bigger than it needs to be to clear all of those mechanicals?

Does an oversized hood scoop like yours provide better air intake into that air-thirsty engine? (Even if the air-hole opening at the front of the scoop is still fairly small)?

Does an oversized hood scoop add some kind of air-turbine effect that draws the air more powerfully into those carbs?

Or is that oversized hood scoop just for "looks"?

I've seen many great drag car builds with the same style of big hood scoop, but always wondered why so big!?!? I certainly mean no disrespect to your awesome build posted here; I'm just hoping you might be able to educate me in an area of my own ignorance.