Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford Roadster Gluebomb

gwolf

Lookin' good!

When it comes to saving gluebombs, glass and headlights are an issue. Replacing curved glass is tricky.

As for body blemishes and glue spots--as long as they aren't on critical trim or details, cleaning that stuff up isn't really much harder than dealing with the mold lines, sink marks, and general wonkiness of brand-new kits! Especially the re-issues of older tooling. And if the blemishes are on critical trim...I build customs, so trim often gets shaved anyway.

Looks like you're "going with the flow" on this project. The last mockup looks great; just be careful to get that hood/grille shell lined up so the hood doesn't run uphill.

Thanks Chris. This is going to be a beater through and through. Once things start getting glued it'll straighten up. I need to add some material to the firewall so the body sits higher on the rails.

Another quick update:

I bought a sheet of scale plywood and cut out a pic of it to make a new floor board and kick panel. 

IMG_5534.thumb.jpg.e941f677861349b38812e

For the kick panel, I cut the shape I needed, then for the bend I made a slice, bent it to the correct angle, then filled the slice with Tamiya putty and sanded when dry. 

IMG_5542.thumb.jpg.9ef7c3ed86c652d11362f

I may make another one as a one piece unit. 

Moving along nicely. These old AMT '32 kits, when they're in bad shape especially, are just like pulling some rusty, tired old junker out of the boneyard and building something cool from stuff other folks see as worthless. It's the original, true spirit of hot-rodding, in miniature. No rules, no lines to have to color inside of, just a canvas to let your imagination run wild on.

The last mockup does look good, but as Spex84 and you both mentioned, I'd pull the front of the body up to level with the bottom of the frame rails, just to get that hood line working straighter forward of the cowl.

Nice work, fun to watch it come together.  :D

Moving along nicely. These old AMT '32 kits, when they're in bad shape especially, are just like pulling some rusty, tired old junker out of the boneyard and building something cool from stuff other folks see as worthless. It's the original, true spirit of hot-rodding, in miniature. No rules, no lines to have to color inside of, just a canvas to let your imagination run wild on.

The last mockup does look good, but as Spex84 and you both mentioned, I'd pull the front of the body up to level with the bottom of the frame rails, just to get that hood line working straighter forward of the cowl.

Nice work, fun to watch it come together.  :D

Agreed, Bill; the true spirit of hot-rodding, in miniature. I'll definitely pull the body up to match the hood (nothing was glued yet, so it kept slipping).

Couldn't sleep past 3 AM last night so I worked on the car a little. I made new engine mounts to replace the one's missing from the old mangled AMT frame. The mounts are made from the flat numbered areas on kit sprue and the posts are made from a squared balsa wood dowel that I sanded round.

IMG_5596.jpg

Looking good so far, it's coming along now!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry!

I need to find a donor engine this weekend for it. I could use that Hemi that came with it... but i don't know what parts that engine is missing.

Thanks Kerry!

I need to find a donor engine this weekend for it. I could use that Hemi that came with it... but i don't know what parts that engine is missing.

For the engine, keeping with the theme, you should be able to use any of the engines from the early trophy series kits (40 sedan and coupe, 34 pickup, etc) and the engines should drop right in.

A quick update:

I'm wallpapering the interior panels with scaled down pin-up girl magazines (the on piece door panels and bench seat is pretty boring).

IMG_5601.thumb.jpg.5d6357217bed683960c0f

I also found these headlights in the parts box and was going to drill some mounting holes into the front of the rails, but discovered that there are already to hole the exact size needed on the crossmember. These are for mounting the one piece fender / running board assembly (I checked on an unbuilt kit) to the frame and are in this case unused. Boom! I love working smarter, not harder.

IMG_5602.thumb.jpg.acbb926649f34e84af707

A little update:

I didn't want to use a replacement firewall, but ended up having to; I used an old one from my parts box.

IMG_5686.thumb.jpg.67c2b69540c8cf0c488b9

I tried a tissue paper technique for the interior, but I'm not sure if I like it or not. the pinup wallpaper and tissue paper upholstery is all held on with Elmer's glue, so it'll come off easy if I choose to do it again.

IMG_5690.thumb.jpg.dc551c1e6e0a61e69004a

IMG_5691.thumb.jpg.97b1a94a4959c7ef1e075

I realized I had a '40 Ford Sedan kit I'd probably never build, and it had two engines, both of which fit; I chose the stock flathead V8. I think it was suggested I find that kit, so thanks to whoever mentioned it. I think flathead V8's of that era were green, but I'll probably use red as that always looks real nice.

The new firewall is not perfect, and I don't like that it seems slightly smaller- but, this is a heap and it's ok. Lots of grinding and sanding got it to the height I needed. I used a 1:25 rim to trace a hole, then cut out and sand for the transmission to stick through. 

Lastly, I got some ruddy brown primer onto the body parts; boy does that ever bring out the bad spots. I'll use the salt technique to rust the body as soon as I pick a paint color.

The frame / rails will also get salted, but I'm not currently sure if they'll be painted to match the body or not.

IMG_5702.thumb.jpg.853a469031e963f6439ee

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a big update on my 32 Ford Roadster Gluebomb project:

Almost a month ago I posted this image of the project I was about to start:

IMG_5447.thumb.jpg.10a7b340ebcab43f83be4

And here's the same project today:

IMG_5881.thumb.jpg.2bda563f0ec1750adbd4b

This was built with the idea being what I would've done with a rusty beat up 32 Ford as a teenager.

Had I been allowed as a teenager to buy a vehicle like this, my father would've insisted on having good new tires, so I used AMT Firestone Deluxe Champion whitewalls (which were put on a Dremel tool and spun on a sheet of sandpaper).

Door panels were scribed and filled with black watercolor paint to create panel lines (one of the best tips I learned as a young modeler).

The axles, steelies, and Ford Deluxe hubcaps and trim rings come from a parted out AMT 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery kit. To accommodate for the deepness of the rear whitewall slicks, I inserted another steelie from the parts box into the back of the tire, gluing it to the front one. This way the slicks didn't appear too close to the body.

The stock Flathead Ford V-8 engine is also from the AMT 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery kit. It's painted dark green, which I believe is correct for that year. 

The seat was brushed with a mixture of Elmer's Glue and water and a piece of trimmed black tissue paper tucked into place with a soft brush. More than upholstery, it's supposed to represent a thin blanket spread over the seat.

Steering wheel is original to the kit, but the cylinder head shifter is from my parts box.

The glass for the kit was scratched and broken, so I made a new one using .015" thick clear PVC sheet from midwest products.com. This stuff is great, by the way. 

The one piece seat / interior door panels were covered in pin-up girl magazine covers, then 1/4" was trimmed out with a hobby knife and nippers to allow for the body to channel over the frame properly. The one piece seat / interior didn't sit perfectly inside the body, but I can live with it. A new wooden floor was made using a thin plywood sheet from the craft store (the original kit had been built without that part). Door handles were shaved off with a hobby blade, then drilled out using a Dremel tool. The ill-fitting rumble seat / trunk lid was left as is and in my opinion, part of the charm of the original build.

IMG_5884.thumb.jpg.bcaa593228e6746754ec8

I used several techniques to create the rust, including the salt method, using both Kosher salt and regular table salt. The frame was left rusty and unpainted, as I'd seen this in a hot rod magazine and liked the way it looked. The parts box firewall was heavily trimmed to accommodate the channel was also left rusty and unpainted.

So right now we're at about 95% done. Taillights will be added, along with exhaust manifolds and a rear license plate. A little detail work on the chrome windshield, too.

IMG_5880.thumb.jpg.91bd9c1151b3a6fa0dcbe

IMG_5882.thumb.jpg.0aa1be5d705ce946c8838

The near complete 32 Ford Roadster with a pile of it's original parts, funk, scraps, and caulking /glue.

IMG_5883.thumb.jpg.b0a7427579b6e17f6171e