Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking tape??

I have only ever used the green painters tape and I always have problems with paint going under the tape and making a mess of everything. So I am wondering is there any masking tape or something that works better for painting models?? Any help or suggestions would be great.  

Tamiya tape is the best. Comes in multiple sizes with dispenser. And you can get it in sheets that you can run through a printer or photocopier.  I have photocopied decal sheets and cutout masks to match the decals on a Gulf Gt40 and painted the orange sections.

You want to get some Tamiya tape, man...... it's probably the best. Sometimes I'll mask things with foil (only for about 1/4 inch as foil is tough to remove once you paint over it)

thanks guys I will try some of the Tamiya tape.

Another good tip is, after laying down your masking tape, hit the edges with either clear, or the masked color. Then shoot your second color.

Personally, I NEVER trust the tape's edge "out of the box." It's rough, and it's dirty. I lay the tape on a sheet of styrene and cut strips with straightedge and razor. I've have very, very few problems with masking tape. And I use whatever Walmart is selling this week--I think it's usually Duck brand.

Everyone has opinions so I'll give mine. I'm not so keen on Tamiya tape. I've done tests using several types of tape. Most of them work well. The one issue I have with Tamiya is that if you leave it on for a while (I tested them all for 24 hours), you might get some residue from the tape. I use yellow Frog tape. No residue. I don't typically leave tape on that long but sometimes, if there's a lot of taping to do, it might be on for more than 12 hours, but that's just me and my methods. Like Snake, I don't use the "factory edge" either. I have a small mirror that I lay strips on and cut clean edges with a scalpel. I also like 3M Fineline tape for masking complex pieces. If you use 3M, you have to pay attention to your spraying as it is a little thick so it's easy to pile paint up at the edge of the tape.

Another vote for Tamiya tape - pricey but it works really well.  It is more pliable and has a smoother adhesive surface than regular masking tapes. Well worth it.

If I have large areas to mask, I only use Tamiya tape on the perimeter of the masked area, and regular painter's blue tape to fill the remaining masked areas.

As far as the green Frog tape goes (at least the stuff I bought about 10 years ago to try), it is designed to work with water-based latex or acrylic paints (house paints).  The edges are treated with special adhesive which is supposed to swell up when exposed to water to create a tight seal on the edge. That is what is supposed to prevent paint from seeping under it.  That special adhesive does nothing for the organic-solvent based hobby enamels or lacquers we usually use for model cars.

I have never tired the yellow Frog tape so I don't know its special properties. As others mentioned, thoroughly burnishing the edge is important with all tapes.  Also do not spray a wet coat of paint right away and don't spray against the tape's edge. Either spray perpendicular to the models surface or even slightly from the masked side.

Edited by peteski

In addition to the Taymia Tape , painting the edge lightly with a clear or the masked color. Before removing the tape take a moment with a #11 blade and vary lightly cut along the edge of the tape. This will break any bond from paint buildup and should leave you with a very sharp separation line between the two colors. Some light sanding may be necessary to even out the line.    

I use the 3M tan colored tape and burnish down the edges, especially the edge where I'll be spraying another color. Then I'll shoot a light coat of Clear along the tape edge, so if there was to be any "bleed through" under the tape it would be? You're right, CLEAR. Then I spray my other color, and I have no problems. I hope this helps.

I too will have to go with Tamiya. Just got my 1st roll and got to say its the best I've tried.

I have used 3M frosted tape with fairly good results, too. You may want to stick it to your arm or forehead 1st to cut down the adhesion if you're applying it over paint as it could pull up the paint when you remove the tape.

I had been using the blue Duck brand painter's tape, but its adhesion has been poor lately. Maybe the weather? I will continue to use this as a mask beyond any area not covered by the tape I use at the break line. 

What ever you use you will do best by burnishing the edges.