Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4 Quarter 2017

Mr mopar

Well, if we're going to talk about cars of our youth (birth year cars might be a good thread ;) ), I guess I'm stuck on '50's through the '70's stuff. '50's cars were the first cars I can remember seeing on the streets when I first knew what a car was (early '60's). By the time I was in high school (mid '70's) '60's cars were still everywhere, and of course I can remember the newest of the new from back then.

Hmmm............I might start such a thread down the road, 'cept I only have one '61 car built............a Cadillac! :D

Edited by MrObsessive

Well, if we're going to talk about cars of our youth (birth year cars might be a good thread ;) ), I guess I'm stuck on '50's through the '70's stuff. '50's cars were the first cars I can remember seeing on the streets when I first knew what a car was (early '60's). By the time I was in high school (mid '70's) '60's cars were still everywhere, and of course I can remember the newest of the new from back then.

Hmmm............I might start such a thread down the road, 'cept I only have one '61 car built............a Cadillac! :D

Same here Bill. My Grandfather had a new '56 Buick Special that he took real good care of. I remember "helping" him Simoniz it(the old hard paste wax stuff). He was actually teaching me about cars and when we went for a drive while I was watching those chrome blade spokes on the steering wheel glint in the sun he taught me how to tell the difference between a Buick, Chevy, Ford, etc. Been hooked on cars ever since, Been 60 year love affair so far. Sure wish there was a '56 Buick in scale.

At the risk of , um , "building" on the whole wish list aspect ; I'd like to see Revell take their 1967 Camaro another step : add some Baldwin-Motion livery to it ! I already really like the NicKey version (though my only gripe is that the annoying A.I.R. Pump was retained ! L72 427 , yes ... dual 4 Bbl 427 , NO !) .

Cars from our birth year ? Sure !

- 1970 Duster 340

- 1970 Swinger 340 

- 1970 LS-6 Chevelle (already done ; the now-ancient Monogram kit from 1982 ... complete with incorrect , aftermarket air cleaner)

- 1970 El Camino SS

- 1970 Olds 442 / W30 or W31

- 1970 Ranchero GT 

- 1970 Mustang Boss 429 (already done ; the now-ancient Monogram kit from 1982)

- 1970 AMC Hornet 

- 1970 Gremlin

Cars from our birth year ? Sure !

Ouch! 1970 when I finally 'convinced' the Army that we would both be happier if I was a civilian again.

Let's see

1949 Ford

1949 Mercury

1949...can't think of anything else.

I like 1909 better anyway.

Wouldn't mind a new 1953 Chevy though. Is the reissue going to be the really old, not very good Revell (or did they do that only as a 54, don't remember for sure) or the still not so accurate and 1/24 Monogram?

I always enjoy the hypocritical mental two step done by the people shoveling the "Modern cars are ugly appliances and no one would want to build them!" BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH are the same people who gleefully built Pintos, Chevettes and Citations. COME ON NOW! All I want is a '18 Mustang that isn't a toy and a Hellcat (and Demon) that I don't have to make via a $100+ resin transkit. 

Edited by niteowl7710

I always enjoy the hypocritical mental two step done by the people shoveling the "Modern cars are ugly appliances and no one would want to build them!" BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH are the same people who gleefully built Pintos, Chevettes and Citations. COME ON NOW! All I want is a '18 Mustang that isn't a toy and a Hellcat (and Demon) that I don't have to make via a $100+ resin transkit. 

Trust me, they were saying exactly the same thing about all those cars when they were new. they were also saying it about all those cool 50s and 60s cars when they were new as well.   From what I can tell, this tired old refrain has been recited word for word since the days of the Model T, and yes, it does get tiresome. 

Cars that came out when I was born...

1958?

Sorry, not really a great year for American styling, except for the Chrysler products, and AMT's already kitted the ones I want.  Prewar classics are what really gets me excited, though a lot of cool stuff did come out in the 60s, but cool, exciting cars continue to be built, and if some people took a break from reciting the "everything's an appliance" speech and actually took a look atround, they might realize this too.

Prewar classics are what really gets me excited

Those and going back to horseless carriages are were I really get going, love brass. Along with steam traction and electric vehicles. How about a Sentinel 5T Steam Waggon or a Baker Electric for total blue sky dreaming? 

Those and going back to horseless carriages are were I really get going, love brass. Along with steam traction and electric vehicles. How about a Sentinel 5T Steam Waggon or a Baker Electric for total blue sky dreaming? 

I'd love to see more brass era stuff, andsteam wagons sounds fun.  ICM deserves credit for releasing new brass stuff

Sigh... sadly,  I still see no 30 Ford  Model A

The '29 Ford is being reissued first, it's the same order the kits came out originally.  I would suspect 1Q of 2018 will have the '30 Ford in it...then the question really becomes does the rest of 2018 have further variations of that tooling in store.  You have to think we'd be due for whatever the next step is any month now if the calamity hadn't befallen the tooling.

Copy of my comments on another thread (about the 2017 Goodguys show....) that also seem relevant for this thread....

I had provided a list of future kit topics to Revell ten years ago at their request.....and it included the Bumpside ('67-72) F-Series trucks.....and we finally got those, courtesy of Moebius.   I've also suggested the '57 F100 ( a great unsung hero of the pickup world), and if done the way Moebius did their Bumpsides, it could easily support 1958-1960 Effies.  Further, I would love to see the Unibody F-100's ('61-63) in a new kit, preferably a SWB one this time.. (see current issue of the other mag for a piece on the AMT  LWB Unibody annual kit series).   Finally, a '67/'68 C-10 (preferred in the hot rod world these days for the swoopier hood than on the '69 and later Chevs....and never available in kit form past the original AMT and MPC annuals of 1967 and 1968, respectively), all seem like obvious choices to me.  

Then there's the current Aluminum Body F-Series....now on track to sell 800,000 or more this year alone (well more than twice the volume of the best selling car in America this year).  One would have to think a current kit of that (either the F150 or the all-new Super Duty) - even if done in simplified form like the first Raptor kit - would be a worthy subject of kit development.  

And digressing a moment to cars....it is beyond description that we don't have a full detail kit of the S550 generation Mustang.  It is now sold in most markets around the world, and this year also became the single best selling sports car in the world!  And there's no market for a full detail kit?  Hogwash.  It would truly be a shame if a full detail kit of this Mustang doesn't come to fruition from Revell, Round 2, or Moebius.  Because if they don't, one of the Asian kitmakers probably will, either now or later.  

TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

The '29 Ford is being reissued first, it's the same order the kits came out originally.  I would suspect 1Q of 2018 will have the '30 Ford in it...then the question really becomes does the rest of 2018 have further variations of that tooling in store.  You have to think we'd be due for whatever the next step is any month now if the calamity hadn't befallen the tooling.

What James said.  Revell is working on returning both kits to the market....so personally I would expect to see the Coupe kit return shortly after the roadster production run  

I too hope for some further derivatives of this kit tooling....although I suspect that they are several years away from  coming to fruition.  One that would relatively easy would be a '27 T Roadster body for the Z'ed A frame in the kit.....with both a turtledeck and pickup bed option.  (If you go back and look at the '26/'27 T hot rods in the 1960's mags..they often ran Z'ed Model A frames...). 

TIM  

Same here Bill. My Grandfather had a new '56 Buick Special that he took real good care of. I remember "helping" him Simoniz it(the old hard paste wax stuff). He was actually teaching me about cars and when we went for a drive while I was watching those chrome blade spokes on the steering wheel glint in the sun he taught me how to tell the difference between a Buick, Chevy, Ford, etc. Been hooked on cars ever since, Been 60 year love affair so far. Sure wish there was a '56 Buick in scale.

Steve Kohler at Star Models has a '56 Buick Hardtop resin kit.  I have one in my "future build" stash, a neighbor bought one new when I was a teenager and he used to let me drive it around the block...two tone red and white...loved that car!!!  Contact info for Steve....stevekohler@cox.net.

Ouch! 1970 when I finally 'convinced' the Army that we would both be happier if I was a civilian again.

Let's see

1949 Ford

1949 Mercury

1949...can't think of anything else.

I like 1909 better anyway.

Wouldn't mind a new 1953 Chevy though. Is the reissue going to be the really old, not very good Revell (or did they do that only as a 54, don't remember for sure) or the still not so accurate and 1/24 Monogram?

Don't feel so left out, there's even less for 1950. Unless you want to count the Chevrolet 3100  kit, and that (shudder) is a truck! ??

Don't feel so left out, there's even less for 1950. Unless you want to count the Chevrolet 3100  kit, and that (shudder) is a truck! ??

1950 is a bit slim, too bad the Studebaker (I think that was supposed to be a 50) that AMT was talking about didn't get done. I like the Chevy pu since I was one of the people heavily lobbying for on. So much so that John O'Neil (former Ertl-AMT brand manager) went I ran into him at a show a few months before it was announced told me 'to quit bugging me, its coming'. Did finally get some Hudsons even if they weren't from AMT. Now if I could convince them about the Tucker.

Revell's '50 Olds is a beautiful kit - - in each version they've released so far.

AMT did the '50 Ford convertible.

Revell and Monogram released a couple of versions of '50 Ford pickups.

Or the new Demon.  Don't try to tell me that factor built dragster isn't even a little bit interesting.   Exciting cars are still being made, and kudos to the carmakers for making them.

However, the nostalgia factor has always been a part of modelling too.  Build a model of something you can see on the street every day?  You might as well building a model of your washing machine.   On the other hand, something you remember, but don't see anymore....

Look at the early kitmakers like Hudson Miniatures, and Gowland & Gowland, and most of it is cars that ae about as old as yur typical muscle car is today.

MODEL WASHING MACHINE.JPG

Hah born in the same year and got the exact same feelings! AMT was still doing pretty good annual kits in the 1990s, wonder what made 'em stop(well yeah, money of course). Like, the '95 Chevy S10 pick up kits - They were full detail and friggin' fantastic. Plus I imagine it wasnt exactly a kit on everyone's wishlist, yet they did it. Could be that GM still offered 'em cash for a showroom tie-in.

Compact pickup trucks were all the rage in the early to mid 90s.  They pretty much killed off the sports coupe market in real world.

Compact pickup trucks were all the rage in the early to mid 90s.  They pretty much killed off the sports coupe market in real world.

Yes indeed, that is why I have a fondness for the 80s/90's Nissan Hardbody's,  one of cousins had one, that is where my love for them started.