Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '70 Charger

After looking at the instruction sheet at the Revell website, it looks like this kit can only be built one way out of the box.

There are no optional parts of any kind referenced in the instructions. You only get two choices on License Plate decals, not the customary three. Given that this kit leverages off the very modular tooling of the F&F Charger, I expect to see little in the way of 'extra' parts carrying over from that kit to this one. Of course, all the shared parts, will be there, but I will guess that when side by side parts tree comparison are done the Unique F&F parts and the Unique Stock parts will be found on different trees, so that there is little carry over.  That said, I really welcome this kit. I'll be very glad to have one or two of these. The F&F car has built well so far. I expect this one to be the same. Would have been really nice to get some steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps though. Maybe the Fireball Resins wheels will swap in.

After looking at the instruction sheet at the Revell website, it looks like this kit can only be built one way out of the box.

There are no optional parts of any kind referenced in the instructions. You only get two choices on License Plate decals, not the customary three. Given that this kit leverages off the very modular tooling of the F&F Charger, I expect to see little in the way of 'extra' parts carrying over from that kit to this one. Of course, all the shared parts, will be there, but I will guess that when side by side parts tree comparison are done the Unique F&F parts and the Unique Stock parts will be found on different trees, so that there is little carry over.  That said, I really welcome this kit. I'll be very glad to have one or two of these. The F&F car has built well so far. I expect this one to be the same. Would have been really nice to get some steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps though. Maybe the Fireball Resins wheels will swap in.

you would think Revell would have put more optional  parts in this to make a 3'-n1 kit ,for me I'm so happy they did a stock 70' charger .

I'm still waiting for the 1970-1971 W11 Dodge wheel covers to find their way into one or more kits :

70_Dart0008.thumb.jpg.014c6fb6a56b08773d

Hubcaps usually get no consideration from the manufacturers for new designs if there was a styled wheel option available. Maybe Fireball Modelworks will come to the rescue with this one?

It would be nice also if they came with either decals or photo reduced items for the centers- either saying "Dodge" or "Challenger" optionally...

...and I always thought it was funny that almost all of the '70 lit showed Rallye wheels without center caps.  There are several factory photos of '70 cars with Rallyes and no center caps. I can't imagine that these were designed for the caps to be optional??? They just look too unfinished without center caps...

Hubcaps usually get no consideration from the manufacturers for new designs if there was a styled wheel option available. Maybe Fireball Modelworks will come to the rescue with this one?

That would be nice if Fireball made those wheel covers ! As far as manufactures 'ignoring' hub caps and wheel covers ; look at the original Revell 1969 Dart GTS 383 : it has the optional , styllised wheel covers . Then there's the 1968 Charger R/T : not only does it have the aforementioned wheel covers , but it also includes hub caps . I get tired of seeing Rallye Wheels , Road Wheels ( colloq. , 'Magnum 500' ) , Centerlines , and Cragar S/S (though I love the S/S , it gets old seeing them in every kit ! ) . I've said this before and I'll say it again : "How about putting Motor Wheels 'Spyders' in these kits ?"  

It would be nice also if they came with either decals or photo reduced items for the centers- either saying "Dodge" or "Challenger" optionally...

I've also seen "Dart" and "Charger" ; I'm thinking that the ones with the generic "Dodge" were either (1.) Replacement parts , or (2.) 1970-only .

...and I always thought it was funny that almost all of the '70 lit showed Rallye wheels without center caps.  There are several factory photos of '70 cars with Rallyes and no center caps. I can't imagine that these were designed for the caps to be optional??? They just look too unfinished without center caps...

Funny that you should mention that ! As many times as I've perused Hamtramck Historical , this is the first time that I've noticed the lack of centre caps on the Rallye Wheels ! Also note its holes for the retainers ( screws ) --- I've seen 3 holes at the most , whereas this example has 5 . 

I'm still waiting for the 1970-1971 W11 Dodge wheel covers to find their way into one or more kits :

70_Dart0008.thumb.jpg.014c6fb6a56b08773d

Being the car is HEMI car, didn't it require "15 wheels as an mandatory option? The W21 Rally Wheel would be more correct on this car. Were the wheel they are including in this kit, even available on '70 Chargers?

Being the car is HEMI car, didn't it require "15 wheels as an mandatory option? The W21 Rally Wheel would be more correct on this car. Were the wheel they are including in this kit, even available on '70 Chargers?

You are correct ; the Hemi package mandated 15" wheels (1969-1971) . Either Rallye wheels or plain steel with hubcaps ; no other options . 

The Road Wheels ( colloq. , "Magnum 500" ) could be had on the Charger --- they were exclusive to the 'B' and 'E' bodies , and were also 14"-only . Absolutely incorrect for the car as it's modelled !

I am proposing that the 'W11' ( 1970-1971 Dodge version ) be added to / included in whatever car of that vintage ( e.g. , a 1970 Charger with optional engines such as the 383 , 440 , and 440+6 ) .

John, weren't those wheel covers available in resin at sometime? I'm sure I saw a set on one of Paul Hetticks Mopar builds

If they were , this is the first I am hearing of them . I would love to see Fireball take a stab at 'em ! 

Still (impatiently) awaiting :

- 1970 Swinger 340 

- 1970 Challenger ( not the ages-old T/A from Monogram , nor the 'Frankenstein' release from Revell that's based-upon the die cast tooling )

- 1971 Demon 340 

Each and every one of those (plus the Charger) would have the 'W11' as an option .

Drop a line to Chief Joseph about those wheelcovers-----it wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

He does make a nice set of standard wheelcovers for the '68 Charger that I got recently. A nice sleeper of a car would be to model one with the 1970 W11 wheelcovers and whitewalls, and the Hemi under the hood! I'm quite certain that Mother Mopar made some in the factory like that when they were new.

You did see them, on Paul's '70 Coronet. I remember the ebay listing for that model.

Ok, here's what I know: 

- The caps in question were on one of Paul's builds. From what I remember of the listing, he mentioned the wheels being resin, but he could not remember where he got them. 

- I saw a set on eBay maybe about a year ago. The seller only listed them the one time as far as I could see. I would buy them if the listing ever came up again, but I have not seen them come up. The seller was from Germany. They looked like very good quality. Maybe he mastered these for his own use and sold off a few sets? It might be that the seller is really not a commercial caster. 

Many years ago, a friend of mine tried to scratch build these caps to cast. They looked pretty good from what I remember. He might still have the master for all I know. He's not really a car modeler anymore. 

I think at this point, Chief Joseph would be our best bet for these. I could see a LOT of '70 Coronets, Chargers, and Challengers using these, as well as '71 Chargers. 

I have a Modelhaus 4 Door Coronet that would look great with these caps.

IMG_1157.PNG

IMG_1157.PNG

OK! I remember this auction now, and darn if I can remember who the caster of those wheels was from Germany! Maybe if Paul sees this thread he can fill us in?

BTW, that's a GORGEOUS Coronet!! Paul does super excellent work and I'm always following his auctions when they turn up on the 'Bay. I can't afford some of the prices they go for though! :D

I would think that there are many high impact color cars out there that did not start out with that color.

DODGE 1970 CHARGER in FM3 'Panther Pink' [01].jpg

I wish the kit would've included those pinstripe decals for the sides as well as steel wheels and dog dishes, and also a 440 c.i. motor too while I'm on a roll. I don't think the model companies listen too well when we ask for certain things that should be a "given" in kits.

I wish the kit would've included those pinstripe decals for the sides as well as steel wheels and dog dishes, and also a 440 c.i. motor too while I'm on a roll. I don't think the model companies listen too well when we ask for certain things that should be a "given" in kits.

The way I see it, we're not going to see tons of optional parts any more. The trade off for the past 25 years or so has been more detail. I don't mind that most new kits only come with one engine, set of wheels, or intake any more. I happen to like the greater detail, better chassis, etc. 

For that matter: yes, the product planners are going to keep pressing the Hemi button, as that will get the most attention for their new, risky, costly products. If that's what it takes to get new products to market at a reasonable price, then I guess I'll be building more Hemi cars!!!