Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevrolet "Sinkhole" Corvette

mrmike

On February 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM, a massive sinkhole opened up under the floor of the Skydome at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky.  Eight Corvettes were swallowed up by the sinkhole and it took several weeks for all eight cars to be recovered.  The last Corvette to be recovered was completely destroyed.  It was a privately owned 2001 Z06 Corvette modified by a company called Mallett Cars, Inc. and was known as the Mallett Hammer.  It was not an historic car, but still, it was a special one.

My build was of the third Corvette to be recovered from the sinkhole...a Tuxedo Black 1962 Corvette with a red interior.  I painted my Revell '62 Vette with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black with a Model Master Insignia Red interior.  I built this Vette OOB since I was unable to find a dual carb setup which the actual Corvette has.

DSCN4548.JPG

DSCN4549.JPG

DSCN4550.JPG

DSCN4551.JPG

DSCN4552.JPG

DSCN4554.JPG

DSCN4555.JPG

Very nice, but the red background detracts from the model/ A white background would make it "pop".

Thank you guys!  Lee, the background is white, but my camera settings were off and tinted the background.  I doubt I'll take new pictures.

Thanks Brad and Allen!

Very sharp! BTW, the Revell '58 and '59 Vette kits have the dual-card setup.

Like I said previously, I couldn't locate one so I went with the FI setup.  Thanks for the infomation though.