Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sedan Deliveries

Ellen's 61 Ranchero sed del and 70 Nova.jpg

That 61 Ranchero/sedan delivery looks nice and smooth and somebody put a lot of work into it.  I have a semi-gluebomb 61 Ranchero, with all the original parts, instructions and box.

Just a note for those who have never seen one - the Sedan Delivery option is not one piece.  It's about 9 separate parts:  2 side enclosure pieces, upper tailgate & window, 4 posts to hold up the SD roof, and the big roof piece itself, extending from the back of the original cab to the tailgate.  All those parts can leave some pretty big seams/gaps, especially between the original cab and the SD roof. Unless you do a lot of careful filling and sanding, like that one in the photo.

Here's a photo stolen from eBay that shows all the parts.  The 2 side enclosures are at the far left.  The tailgate and 4 posts are at bottom center.  The roof extension is on the right side of the photo, just under the body and on the same sprue as the tonneau cover:

61_ranch.jpg

That 61 Ranchero/sedan delivery looks nice and smooth and somebody put a lot of work into it.  I have a semi-gluebomb 61 Ranchero, with all the original parts, instructions and box.

Just a note for those who have never seen one - the Sedan Delivery option is not one piece.  It's about 9 separate parts:  2 side enclosure pieces, upper tailgate & window, 4 posts to hold up the SD roof, and the big roof piece itself, extending from the back of the original cab to the tailgate.  All those parts can leave some pretty big seams/gaps, especially between the original cab and the SD roof. Unless you do a lot of careful filling and sanding, like that one in the photo.

Mike , if I may expand upon your EXCELLENT reply here , the Original AMT kit sedan delivery option was supposed to also go with a "Roof" extension that somehow was added back into the last 1961 Re issue . This piece of course was an upholstered Roll and Pleat padded top with a rearward scoop. . In 1961 , that piece looked horrific to me as it does now . I had to section out the bottom of the sides so as to make the Sedan delivery parts match the Stoch configurations and then , I had to cut out the rear window in the body . .

Because the "Custom " rear window gate was not close to stock , I omitted that all together . The "REAL" sedan deliveries used the window reveal from the station wagon anyway . On a side note , if one wanted to do the 1961 "Box Art " Ranchero custom , you would need some Port Holes from one of the AMT Van kits as the art revealed a 57 T Bird rendition if you will . Perhaps I need to buy a Jimmy Flinstone Sedan Delivery and do the AMT Box art version at some point too !

Twin Chineys 5.jpg

Somebody did/does a resin Falcon SD body. I know, 'cause I have one. It might be Jimmy Flintstone. I'm planning on using it someday.

Yep, Jimmy Flintstone did that body, according to my handy spread-sheet.  You know you have Too Much Stuff when you have to keep track of it with spread-sheets...

AMT had the Vega sedan delivery funny car. It was a bit out of scale on the large side, though. A true sedan delivery will be a passenger car chassis with a single hinged door on the back. Tailgates, double doors just don't cut it. Then it is a wagon without windows or a panel truck. There are no T sedan deliveries. The only true sedan delivery kits in 1/24/25 are the Revell Model A, MPC 32 Ford, Revell 37 Ford, Monogram 39 Chevy, AMT 40 Ford, Galaxy 46 Chevy, Revell 53 Chev, Monogram Tom Daniels 60 Chev. MPC did a 1/32 34 Ford.  I may have missed one. The Heller MB is a panel truck. The Revell Buttera T is a phantom. The Falcon and Vega aren't true Sedan deliveries. Probably 2/3rds of the Resin ones are phantoms.

Edited by Modelmartin

AMT had the Vega sedan delivery funny car. It was a bit out of scale on the large side, though. A true sedan delivery will be a passenger car chassis with a single hinged door on the back. Tailgates, double doors just don't cut it. Then it is a wagon without windows or a panel truck. There are no T sedan deliveries. The only true sedan delivery kits in 1/24/25 are the Revell Model A, MPC 32 Ford, Revell 37 Ford, Monogram 39 Chevy, AMT 40 Ford, Galaxy 46 Chevy, Revell 53 Chev, Monogram Tom Daniels 60 Chev. MPC did a 1/32 34 Ford.  I may have missed one. The Heller MB is a panel truck. The Revell Buttera T is a phantom. The Falcon and Vega aren't true Sedan deliveries. Probably 2/3rds of the Resin ones are phantoms.

The Revell '37 Ford was a panel truck.   The Monogram '60 Chevy is a custom; the side window profile differs from the production sedan deliveries. 

What was the box like for that one? I have one in the flat green box and can't find any reference to any roof pieces or see anything that looks like them.

Wayne ,   I hit Paydirt on this one !!!! Looks like I have BOTH the boxes that AMT produced the Ranchero kit in for 1961 . First , AMT released their Compact series as 1.39 originally . These were "Curbsiders " as engines weren't offered in these kits . HOWEVER, UNIQUE to these kits were the smaller 13 inch tires and today , they're near extinct . These tires were NEVER re- issued in the remakes of the Ranchero and if you look closely, you'll see them on my Sedan delivery .

One of the things that remains a mystery to me is that the "Port holes" pictured on the AMT Compact kit box were NOT in the parts inventory . I guess one could raid the Round Port holes from a Ford Econoline van kit to duplicate the Box art model . The reissues of the Ford Falcon Ranchero did indeed supply the "Padded roof extension " needed to allow the Sedan delivery option to mate to the cab's roof.

Hopefully, these photos will help you identify what kits to be on the hunt for .

AMT 1961 Styline broadcast sheet.jpg

AMT Ranchero styline box.jpg

AMT-K-1031-3.jpg

AMT-K-1031-10.jpg

f0ac7ce3bb7b613017d1aea6c7feda8d.jpg

Wayne ,   I hit Paydirt on this one !!!! Looks like I have BOTH the boxes that AMT produced the Ranchero kit in for 1961 . First , AMT released their Compact series as 1.39 originally . These were "Curbsiders " as engines weren't offered in these kits . HOWEVER, UNIQUE to these kits were the smaller 13 inch tires and today , they're near extinct . These tires were NEVER re- issued in the remakes of the Ranchero and if you look closely, you'll see them on my Sedan delivery .
One of the things that remains a mystery to me is that the "Port holes" pictured on the AMT Compact kit box were NOT in the parts inventory . I guess one could raid the Round Port holes from a Ford Econoline van kit to duplicate the Box art model . The reissues of the Ford Falcon Ranchero did indeed supply the "Padded roof extension " needed to allow the Sedan delivery option to mate to the cab's roof.

Hopefully, these photos will help you identify what kits to be on the hunt for .

AMT Ranchero styline box.jpg

AMT-K-1031-3.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have the S1031 green box. I got this kit 40+ years ago. Just dug back through it, no roof parts or reference about it on the instruction booklet. Does have this weird ft and rr extensions to graft on the body...and the 13 inch tires. Nobody does the tires in resin? They would work on most early 60's Ford compacts, even the early Mustang. In my tire buster years, one of the weirder combos I saw was an early 65 (64.5) 260 powered Mustang with 5 bolt 13 inch wheels. Owner said they came out on the 63.5 Falcon Sprint V8 and was used through the 64 model year as a base V8 wheel tire combo unlike now were every early Mustang seems to have came with the styled steel wheels.

Wayne , in response to the tires on the Falcon , yes , they would have been correct with a 260 V-8 I do't know what to say as to the Missing Sedan delivery parts in the box you have . last time I saw one compete was in Clemmons N Carolina at the Carolina Kustoms NNL . That one HAD the parts in the box .

Didn't the Modified reissue '60 have the 13 inch tires

But too large of a diameter rim??

The rim fit into the tire, but the bead detail was too large a diameter??

I believe I read that here in the reviews

I still want that re-issue!!

I have the Styline kit and the Desert Race issue too

That one also had the 13 in tires

I know as it had thew Stock full Hubcaps!!

Still have the instruction sheet!!!!!

The Revell '37 Ford was a panel truck.   The Monogram '60 Chevy is a custom; the side window profile differs from the production sedan deliveries. 

My mistake. I was thinking the 2 door sedan was a sedan delivery. Wasn't even thinking of the panel truck. Getting old! I knew the Tom Daniels thing was not accurate at all.

Jimmy Flintstone did the sedan delivery version of the '61 Ranchero, but Accurate Miniatures did one a long time prior to this. I have both and they each have a different roof line.  Probably one using the kit parts and the second one by another method. Someone also cast the 2 door wagon a long time ago, it may have been Ron Cash.  I've seen them, never able to get one.

Ranchero used all the custom parts in the kit!See the dramatic difference in rear treatments.

And since the kit's custom parts were mentioned, here's a nicely built original from my collection using both front and rear custom clips as well as the roof treatment.  Classic Early 1960s! Also notice the tail lights on the primer gray car... those two part units, red clear and chrome, were only in the early versions.

Mvc-003s

This restoration of an original kit uses the one piece chrome tail lights sold in the later kits.  Note the original tires / wheels that were also mentioned.

The original curbside kit also had a different chassis than the later versions with open hood and Chevy V8.  The early cars had the bottom end of an engine, as well as single exhaust molded in.  The later chassis had an open bottom to support the engine, and dual exhausts molded in.

^^^ And no fuel tank.

I've got one of the Jimmy Flintstone bodies and it looks pretty good; picked up an original '61 chassis for it so it can stay curbside. My current plan is for a '60 grille and separate front bumper, rear end jacked up, and 13" wheels/tires with hubcaps from the JF Econoline (the most accurate early Falcon dog dishes I've ever seen), plus some surfboards in back.

Two rear doors (Thames, '33 Chevy) would make them panel trucks for most people.  The '23 T falls into this category too.

Not too many kits out there ('53/'54 and '60 Chevies) but probably lots of resin.  Jimmy Flintstone's studio would be a good place to start looking.

Mark, the late Bill Harrison (from out in California) and I had a discussion on the MPC '33 Chevrolet kit:   Bill pointed  out that the bodywork is not standard Chevrolet light truck sheet metal, but rather a custom-built body on a 1932 Chevrolet passenger car chassis, with '32 Chevy passenger car front end sheet metal.  For that reason, Bill always maintained that this vehicle was a sedan delivery, of 1/2 ton capacity, built (like virtually all early Sedels) to comply with so-called "boulevard laws" in many cities (Detroit area included) which forbade the use of "ordinary" commercial trucks on certain high-dollar residential streets.  Given Bill's extensive reference materials (literally cubic yards of the stuff, or indeed hundreds of lbs of it) I tend to agree with his assessment.  Sadly, Bill passed away about 14-15 years ago though.

Art

One can add to this list the Ertl diecast '39 Bantam Sedan Delivery (which is called a panel delivery in the original packaging, but it IS passenger-car based) in the slightly larger 1:22nd scale.  I also drew that tooling from Ertl's inventory when Johnny Lightning was bought out by Ertl's then parent company, RC2 in 2004, did it up in period-correct Coca Cola livery as part of a large series of Coca Cola diecasts.  I also developed the JL 1/24 scale '57 Ford Courier Sedan Delivery for that series--that was one very fun project indeed!.

In addition, I developed, at Johnny Lightning, the 1/18 scale diecast '55 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery (a body style that is way overdue in 1/25 by the way!) as part of that same Coca Cola series.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

If we're going into diecasts, I have a diecast 1/24 '57 Chevy SD, and a slightly undersized (maybe 1/26 or 1/27) '55 Chev SD that IIRC doubles as a bank. I'm going to hit both of them with some Snake-Fu one of these days and stick them on my shelf.

Liberty Classics did a bunch of die-cast panel trucks/SDs in 1/25-ish scale.  Its "Law Enforcement Series" included a '34 Ford, a '48 Ford and this neat '53 Jeep in Michigan State Police markings.  The Spec-Cast company also did the Jeep, as a disassembled kit in plain white with no markings.  I've seen those done up very nicely as a Fifties Civil Defense vehicle.

lc_jeep.jpg