Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Foose '48 Cadillac de-Foosed

Perspective Customs

Lots of great comments, some that made me laugh out loud. To be clear, this build is not intended to be a dig against Chip Foose. I respect his talent which has gained him tremendous success even though I may not be a fan of all his work and I do think Overhaulin' is a bit too fluffy for my taste. Truth is I kind of like the Eldorod, I'm just not one to build what someone else has already done, the exception being my dad's '67 Galaxie. If you think about it, if it weren't for the Eldorod, Revell would probably never produce a '48 Eldorado so I'm thankful that they did and I'll put my own spin on it. Now back to the build.

I think the fix for the windshield to hood fitment is a combination of what has been suggested. The donor roof can come down and moved forward a bit. The Foose version has the top door edge angled back, shere the original 1:1 door edge is more vertical. Once I correct that, the roof and windshield will move forward. I'll then have to remove some material from the hood. 

20170917_191237.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys.

Amazing work on this build. The addition of the Chevy roof really changes this body for the better. I would hope you keep the three piece rear window but the Windshield I think would look better as a one piece.

I'm planning on keeping the three piece rear window and the two piece up front. The Caddy didn't go to a one piece windshield until 1950 and I want to keep this as close to a '48 as possible. 

Looking good...like the hardtop body style of the '48-49.  I think if I were to 'de-Foose' one of these, the main change I'd be interested in is adding the fins..the soft curved fins w/ taillights in them were the most distinctive styling detail of the '48-49 Cadillac, and the Foose car mostly eliminated them...

Edited by Rob Hall

Looking good...like the hardtop body style of the '48-49.  I think if I were to 'de-Foose' one of these, the main change I'd be interested in is adding the fins..the soft curved fins w/ taillights in them were the most distinctive styling detail of the '48-49 Cadillac, and the Foose car mostly eliminated them...

I  agree completely but I couldn't figure out the best way to scratch build the taillight fins. I do have another body and a die cast '51 Caddy that I'll use to sort it all out for another build. 

This project is way cool, cant wait till it completed. What are you using for the interior?

I think I'll use the kit interior on this one just to conserve time. 

This is a huge improvement to the horrible looking body that rolled out of Foose's shop... Nice work on the top conversion! This made me think about buying this kit as well, especially because I have one '51 Chevy glue bomb that could very well be cut up for a project like this. But those tail lights should definitely be modified back to stock in my opinion so that is a problem...

Anyway you're doing a great work here! I'm definitely not a fan of that modern engine and chassis, but the body looks very good!