Model Cars Magazine Forum

Series 1 Jaguar XKE rebuild - Done....well, almost

landman

After the less than glamorous finish of the Avanti, the next one will be a rebuild. This Jag is from my clearcoat over bare plastic period and has suffered the Saran Wrap reaction like several of the others which were in storage for years. I think I'll disassemble it completely and start from scratch. Now if I could only figure out the manufacturer, I could look up the instructions. Somehow Monogram come to mind after looking at several on the internet. It is molded in red.

IMG_6365.JPG

Edited by landman

I wouldn't swear to it, but from that angle, she appears to have the slightly misshapen nose of the Aurora kit, later repackaged as both Revell and Monogram. I know some of the Aurorevellogram Jag coupes were molded in red, but I'm not certain if the convertibles were.

Anyway, here's a thread you may find helpful.

I wouldn't swear to it, but from that angle, she appears to have the slightly misshapen nose of the Aurora kit, later repackaged as both Revell and Monogram. I know some of the Aurorevellogram Jag coupes were molded in red, but I'm not certain if the convertibles were.

Anyway, here's a thread you may find helpful.

Thanks Bill, I think you are right.

I just pulled a couple of built-ups down from the shelf, and it looks like those cutouts at the back of the cockpit are the OTHER Revell kit...but I wasn't aware IT was ever molded in red.

Still checking...

Turns out it is molded in white. I had painted the interior of the body as well and so it wasn't clear coated red plastic after all,.Ahhhhh.. the golden years.:D

I have glue bombs of both the Revell and Aurora E-types (different kits).  The Revell is molded in white, has those same cut-outs at the back of the cockpit and the Revell name molded on the underside of the rear deck about 5mm behind the cockpit opening. Again that Revell kit is not the Aurora based kit.

One of the headlight bezels came off the car in several pieces. Attempted to piece it back together using the opening as a guide. Didn't work out too well. Ended up attempting to make one out of wire.

IMG_6375.JPG.f3de29fb27854222608b2e443a702fbc.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG.184e69003e4664aed83133ad5ea60a60.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG.74dec8525e107a64e90dbe3241eb1401.JPG

Glued the top bar on the windshield frame as well.

IMG_6378.JPG.417466a3bbb2d5e2899424fb8004235b.JPG

And, by the way, it doehe rear of the cockpit opening.

Edited by landman

After sanding away and scraping old glue joints I keep finding some I missed. Gotta get these halves to "close" tight.

IMG_6381.JPG.e79b4012617ea83b77172d95e2aa8204.JPG

IMG_6382.JPG.fdf34d5ab845367bf53e51045f66a84b.JPG

Drilled out and replaced some pins.

IMG_6385.JPG.b459b74b3b1028a5b1dfd20d830db836.JPG

Thinking of using those beautiful Chief Joseph minilites. I wonder which hub would be appropriate.

IMG_6383.JPG.a9153f3b69aa69f5887dbd8237afc0df.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG.738a4797a83a2c4613de1c9beef2cfab.JPG

Edited by landman

I wish you luck Landsman. That's a very old kit you are restoring that has been around since the 1960's I think. The Heller one has been around for a long time also. 1980's I think and a Gunze Sanyo one.

I have a white metal mark one E Type kit to build by SMTS in 24th scale that is an unusual scale for them. They did a Cobra in this scale as well, but most of their stuff is 1/43rd.

A retooled E type is long overdue considering how iconic this vehicle is. Revell have been reissuing their tired old E type for years  but could now make a fantastic job of it with a complete new retool.