Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Flames

Maybe you could tint a clear coat ??? I don't know if that would work or not.

You've just re-invented candy paint.

I'm not sure, but I think the definition of "ghost flames" pretty much requires candy (or some kind of transparent) paint.

Paint primary base color.

once  dry mask it off for the flames.

Spray a pearl clear .

Remove  mask and clear the entire body.  ...viola. ghost flames.

this is how to do it from my understanding of ghost flames. Something you don't  see apparent in the paint until the sunlight highlights them. Be sure to thin oit the pearl an don't think you need to spray alot, to much an they'll show even in the shade. Flames under candie paint is just faint flames to me, nothing ghost about them. An also candie is just color mixed with clear, if you clear with an airbrush nothing to be afraid of.

These are an orange pearl.  So not helpful really.  But I painted whole car with a few coats.   Applied the flame masks.   Applied more paint.  removed masks.  clear.  IF I were doing this with solids or opaque colors, I would apply the solid/opaque first, then a negative mask, spray the ghost color, remove masks and clear to smooth.  I do have a satin black car I want to eventually put metallic or pearl red ghosts on.  Maybe.  I don't have access to the sign equipment that I use when I did the vette.  Have to go light for hte ghosts.  I would like for the vette flames to be a little more pronounced, but can't change it now.  

DCP01601.jpg

DCP01603.jpg

DCP01604.jpg

Ghost flames are nothing but the same color you are painting on just a shade or two either darker or lighter depending on the look you want. If the base color is candy then use a shade lighter or darker of that candy color.

Tim

That is one type of ghost flames. But the other one is, like someone already mentioned, to paint the flames over the base color using a pearl or metal flakes. Those will be almost invisible except when the light hits the pearl or metallic particles from a certain angle. Then the flames show up.