Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's "new" Jeep & Snowmachine kit

stavanzer

Now see, that's weird, because the Pink Poison instructions don't call them out as chrome parts. Plus, when I built the Pink Poison version, I recall having to paint the bumpers and grille, and this was back when I kept the kit parts chromed when they came that way.

Revell852146PinkPoison6.jpg

Edited by Jordan White

20 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Now see, that's weird, because the Pink Poison instructions don't call them out as chrome parts. Plus, when I built the Pink Poison version, I recall having to paint the bumpers and grille, and this was back when I kept the kit parts chromed when they came that way.

Yes, it is. :blink: I found the intake manifold which is plated, too. The Pink Poison box does call out the "chrome plated parts", though.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I wonder could they have offered them as chrome for a limited time, then just quietly changed to unchromed parts, or vice versa?

Maybe...no idea, honestly. I'm trying to recall if the kit I have which I purchased on ebay was sealed, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Just looked at my Pink Poison. No chrome parts in it either. I've got the Red & Black molded "The Dude": kit with the camper shell. No chrome in it either. Those ARE the Jeep parts in Casey's photo, just not sure which issue they are from. Time for a history series on the Revell J-10 trucks.

As far as I know, none of these ever came from Revell with chrome parts. There was the initial Honcho (molded in black), the "Dude" version (molded in red and including a separate topper cap for the bed), and the Pink Poison. Other than having clear parts (rather than smoke tinted) for the windows and headlights and different wheels/tires, they're the same kit. I seem to remember reading somewhere that in the late '70's and early '80's Revell was trying to cut costs by releasing kits that did not include chrome plating. 

As far as the sled goes- is anybody out there reproducing the Arctic Cat El Tigre graphics from the original Ice Patrol kit? They look fairly complete and accurate for a '77-ish El Tigre 6000. 

On 12/26/2017 at 10:48 AM, Rob Hall said:

The '90s issue I built years ago was all molded in black.  No chrome. The wheels and tires are pretty bad also IIRC. 

Any version of this from the '90's would have had the Goodyear Wranglers from almost every '70's Monogram 4x4 kit. The original tires (Honcho and Dude versions) did have some terrible soft rubber tires and some really awful toy-like, under-sized wheels. You might be thinking of the earlier Honcho kit, though don't quote me on this. :) 

The 90s version is the only one I have.  The wheels are not good, can't recall the tires...maybe thinking of the AMT Scout reissue....  I think I may get one of the new release and replace the wheels and tires with some FMW parts. 

Edited by Rob Hall

23 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

Could be the Scout reissue- are you remembering the entire inside side wall being molded with the inner wheel half?

Some rolling stock from Fireball (or Scenes Unlimited) would be just the ticket for any version of this kit. 

Could be...I seem to also remember some kit with plastic tires that were hollow on the inner side---i.e. no inside side wall but open.  Not sure what I'm remembering.. 

19 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Could be...I seem to also remember some kit with plastic tires that were hollow on the inner side---i.e. no inside side wall but open.  Not sure what I'm remembering.. 

The Revell snap-together BFG All-Terrian T/A 4x4 tires were like that:

revell6204.jpg

I looked at the molded-in-black Jeep Honcho version in an eBay listing, and they way the parts are arranged, there's no reasonable way the parts I have which are chrome could've been that way from Revell, so whoever had the kit before me must've had those parts plated.

I have the Honcho version of this kit that is completely molded in black. There is no chrome and the instructions are very basic with no indication to paint any parts. The box art does say " To assemble this model kit, you will need Plastic Model Cement. If you wish to paint this model kit, the following colors are recommended: white, silver, red"

Looking at the box art one would be excited to build this kit but once you open it up, you would see how basic it is and how much painting would be necessary to replicate the box model.

• 2 weeks later...

"I also edited a few of my above posts to correct some misinformation about chrome plated parts. The Pink Poison version DID include some chrome plated parts, and I added an image of the bumpers and grille from my kit in one of the corrected posts. I think this is the only version which included the chrome plated parts, so maybe there's as story behind that decision. "

a  previous owner had to have those particular parts you have chromed then because i can 1000% assure none of the jeep honcho kits ever came with any chrome parts from the revell factory in the kit . revell did NOT chrome any parts in all previous versions of it.  good way to figure that out is are all the parts on the particular tree chrome ? as there is plenty more parts on the parts tree besides a bumper grill  your chrome parts would be on.  like i said someone had those particular parts you have chromed

only 3 of the vtg kits came with soft rubber wrangler tires/ the original kit # 7313, the jeep honcho racer version kit #7390,  the dude version with camper top #7319

then there is the 1996 reissue of the original 1st version that comes with lettered tracker at tires, then u have the pink poison version and now this version makes a total of 6 issues on the jeep honcho kit

all the parts in all versions were either molded in red black or white but there was  never no chrome parts issued by revell

btw fyi more info if your parts were revell factory chromed then there would be 2 parts trees that would have been chromed by them because the bumpers were on another tree,  the bumpers were on the tree that has the frame n other parts, the grill came on the tree that has the axle parts n others

"Wonder when the mass parts request will implode Customer Service from people demanding the advertised Chrome Parts"

they will probably tell them it was a misprint n tell to go pound sand, its not like they are going to back n chrome 2 trees especially now after the fact with the $$$ trouble they are in. some people try to take advantage of things like misprinted boxes and really they should not do that . just like buying a used open kit off ebay flea market etc then expecting the model company to replace missing damaged broken parts for free

27 minutes ago, pjtoys said:

a  previous owner had to have those particular parts you have chromed

good way to figure that out is are all the parts on the particular tree chrome ?

As I hinted at in one of my replies I couldn't recall if the kit I had was fully intact, and it wasn't. I also cut the parts free when I started working on it and took no pics, hence my uncertainty. I corrected my earlier posts to eliminate any confusion.

Edited by Casey