Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Vintage Model Car Ads

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I've never seen the two kits above in real life. I'm wondering if they were announced by AMT, but never produced? Like their Porsche 911 kit back in '67. And their garbage truck in the mid-1970's.

The VA Va Vette was produced as someone on here restored one with changes. Not that I have looked on EBAY but I have seen the body before in a parts lot. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

The VA Va Vette was produced as someone on here restored one with changes. Not that I have looked on EBAY but I have seen the body before in a parts lot. 

The garbage truck was collateral damage from the AMT strike.

I had the Wackie Woodie. My teenage youth and inexperience thought it was an accurate model with way out goofy 60's box art. Boy, I cannot describe the disappointment to find what was inside matched the outsides. So many kits fudged what was in the box,  yet this one was accurate. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic with some great ads.

Sure takes me back in time!

unclescott58, you mentioned you had another thread with vintage ads. I did a  search and could not find it. Do you have a link to it?

Edited by VW93
spelling corection

2 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Thanks, really enjoy looking at the hay day of models.  Wishing they were still around.

A few of them still are. The Hubley Rolls and Triumph TR3 are still readily available in the Academy/MiniCraft re-releases. It makes you wonder what happened to the rest of Hubley's old tooling. They were very short on detail but good starter material for gassers, customs, etc. and most of the subjects were never available from any other company.

So many of these Hubley kits I'd love to have today. They were curbsides. All looked pretty good. I was able to pick a Mercedes 300-SL convertible a couple of years ago. And I would love to get my hands on their '60 and '61 Ford wagons and sedans. Plus the Silver Cloud, a Metropolitan (convertible and hardtop), a TR-3 convertible, and even the Renault Dauphine. I guess I basically would be pretty much happy with one of each! 

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

So many of these Hubley kits I'd love to have today. They were curbsides. All looked pretty good. I was able to pick a Mercedes 300-SL convertible a couple of years ago. And I would love to get my hands on their '60 and '61 Ford wagons and sedans. Plus the Silver Cloud, a Metropolitan (convertible and hardtop), a TR-3 convertible, and even the Renault Dauphine. I guess I basically would be pretty much happy with one of each! 

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

Love that 61 Ford Country Sedan wagon....It would look great in my wagon collection...!

Well Scott, I have to say these vintage scale model car advertisements really appeal to me. I was looking at the Hubley ones, as I have an original Hubley promo model in blue plastic (acetate) of the 1955 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II, which does not have the friction motor, but probably did originally. Apart from the ridiculous out of scale Spirit of Ecstasy bonnet (hood) mascot, this is a superb model. The body shell in particular is very accurate and well moulded. As we know, the Minicraft and Revell kits that followed later all have the crude representation of the 6.2 litre V8 engine in one piece, but then there are less than 30 pieces in those kits. I have replaced the V8 engine with a 4.9 litre 6-cylinder engine for my builds of this kit, which was fitted to the Silver Cloud I that was produced from 1955 to 1959. The Hubley version is still interesting and with quite a bit of work from a skilled model builder the car can be made to look much better.

David

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2017 at 9:13 AM, unclescott58 said:

Saw photos on the web of the two kits above. And first time ever, I have seen two kits I hope Round 2 never reissues. Both were pretty ugly. 

They are definitely both very much in tune with the time they were released, when wacky, zany, and krazy were "in", so you can't really fault AMT for trying to capitalize upon the fads of the day. I'd honesty rather see the Va.Va.Vette reissued over either of the two Stroker McGurk kits they chose, but I digress. I looked over both kit at a show a few weeks ago, and they are quite a bit larger than I would've thought, though in fairness, the box lid does list dimensions. There's a Va.Va.Vette on eBay currently, so I snagged these pics for reference:

amtvavavette.thumb.jpg.b915c973b57880105fa1bc5b2f5e1eb6.jpgamtvavavette2.thumb.jpg.f471c814146a5c558a8cb38368c41f5f.jpgamtvavavette3.jpg.22255f01f64d38cc37dad95416ef75de.jpgamtvavavette4.jpg.7fea00c64d8e11cf6eda8d5340b38cdc.jpg