Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work bench ideas?

When we renovated my parents house after their passing, I told the contractor to store all the interior doors in the basement.  After retiring and we moved in I took those doors and built my workspace in one corner of the basement.  I used some of the doors for the outside wall of my "room" and others to build my workbench.  The paint bench in the foreground was built from scraps of wood I had laying around the house, many years before  my work room.

Man Cave Rev 1.JPG

Man Cave Rev 6.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

Dad had built these shelves many years ago for Mom to store canned garden goods.  My wife and I still can from our garden, but not to the extent Mom did.  My only problem with this set-up is the basement does get cool in the winter, and it is difficult to heat just this corner. It is not fully enclosed.

Man Cave Rev 4.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

A bit of advise on workbenches.  I would suggest you sit down with a piece of graph paper and a pencil and sketch out what you need.  Keep in mind the actual space you need to accommodate the models that you build.  Most of us actually use a space that is about 1 foot by 2 foot square.  The rest is for clutter and a place to loose stuff. ;)  Really it isn't.  That is for you to organize and store the stuff you use to build with and need close at hand.  Then go for the tools you don't use as often but need to have organized for quick access.   These should be drawers that are close and hand.  Then the long term storage stuff like extra paints, glues, scratch building supply's etc in shelving or tool cabinets.  Finally, model storage.  Shelves up high work well.   I scratch built my own shop this way and still find things I would have done differently, but a few minutes of thinking your way through it will make building much more pleasurable.

I have been thinking about what to post on here and this is exactly what I have been thinking about.  As others have posted already you just need a flat place. Does not have to be expensive just sturdy. I have a pre cut piece of countertop that has a backsplash on it from Menards a store we have here. It is sitting on a desk my dad picked up from the curb. it will work better after I clean all the stuff off that is non model related.  Do not look past the second hand store, old dressers work great for storage maybe you can find an old desk.  

19 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Liking it!!!! Until I saw the Vikings logo!!!!!!! Gheesh!!!!!!! Lol just kiddin’!!!!!! 

Thanks guys for all the help you have given me some ideas for when I build my desk

by the way DrKerry I’m not a Vikings fan I just have it because it looks cool. The only sport that I watch is hockey (I’m a Canadian) and my favourite team is the Edmonton Oilers 

Edited by 426 pack

46 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

Thanks guys for all the help you have given me some ideas for when I build my desk

by the way DrKerry I’m not a Vikings fan I just have it because it looks cool. The only sport that I watch is hockey (I’m a Canadian) and my favourite team is the Edmonton Oilers 

Ok, since ya put it that way I’ll be ok with it!!!! But this one time!!!!!! Lol ? 

sorry im a Packer fan so I had to say something!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Ok, since ya put it that way I’ll be ok with it!!!! But this one time!!!!!! Lol ? 

sorry im a Packer fan so I had to say something!!!!!! 

Packers don't have fans they have Minions including the Ref's. GO LIONS!!!!! :D I am sure they will throw a flag on this comment before the game starts. LOL

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, DrKerry said:

I just use an old hollow core door with legs on it!!! Bought the legs at Menards years ago and cut them down to a shorter height!!! 

Not sure how well you can see it but it gives an idea.... yeah I’m in a small area and is quite cramped!!!!!

316276D3-1B0C-4503-8289-5A6577E45A2A.thumb.jpeg.e76689d990c80e6d3994fde95c33a1d3.jpeg

2E5933BE-F76D-40C9-AAE6-29FA03B68436.thumb.jpeg.c2cceec7d3268a776b33412c9590bd9b.jpeg

Where did you get those display cases, or did you build them yourself? 

I miss my model room......:(

I can't wait till we have a home again! At this point I'd be happy with living in the 5th wheel trailer lol.

One thing about model rooms or corners is they can always be changed up to suit ones needs at a given point if your flexible with your area. I have some ideas for my next one when we purchase our next house to make it easier to use. Not so much with the pegboard but I would like to be able to organize my scratch building material for example. I had started buying up all the evergreen sizes of various shapes I could find since at the time I wasn't near any kind of hobby shop. The addition of a lathe and or mill takes up much usable space and must be a consideration when purchasing such things. 

Part of my problem was that my model room also served as a 2nd guest room so there was a bed in there along with everything else lol. And the father in law was usually the one who stayed in that room when he would come to visit so I had all my models in the closet or on shelves I hung up around the perimeter of the room. It worked quite handily for what I needed but I really needed more space as there were also a couple of antique sewing machines in there also taking up space next to the model desk. Hopefully If I can find a nice 4 bedroom house I can confiscate one of the rooms  for the sole purpose of the model room and no longer have antiques and a darn bed in there with me!

Yes, much more organization will be in order for the next model room!

Paul

Here's where my insanity transpires. The table is an old wooden draftsman model that's been with me since high school (that's a looong time). The machinest chest holds the small tools, tape, BMF, sandpaper sheets, paintbrushes, other misc. stuff. The drawer unit is somewhat organized for some small parts by type( wheels, engine bits, carbs, etc), and stuff like fine wire, solder, clear twist ties, milliput..... the shelving on the right has paint, epoxy, styrene and whatnots. I've found that lighting is really important, you can never have too much.

IMG_1024.jpg

As part of my Christmas present to myself, I've ordered some of the Hobby Zone modular organizers. I've got a home made bench...I'll post a pic later this week, and the hobby zone piece will make it better, so by New Year's I should have my new hobby bench up and running. 

hz-mws-baner_zps8givgkdv.jpg

Mine wont look exactly like this but what I've ordered is close to what's pictured.

I love seeing pics of how others have their space set up.

My home made workbench. All the pieces where rescued then cobbled together. Its about 30" deep and 72" long. The doors got banged around a bit when I was moving it and need to be adjusted.

2v2uz25zyxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

And where it's at now. I'm still in the process of building up the modules for placement. This is my weekend WiP.

2v2uz2GnmxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

I built a "craft space" for my wife using old formica counter tops on top of two drawer file cabinets. I can't show a decent photo because it's currently too cluttered with stuff.

some hollow core doors and file cabinets would work also, the file cabinets provide stable "legs" and storage at the same time.

Goodwill and Starvation Army are great places to get old desks and other supplies to make a work space.

Hello Cale,  man I like these kinds of topics,  we get a good look at members' benches.  Lots of remarkable areas,  hey it's even good to see some dudes are even messier than what you think of your own area...:D

Since retirement, my bench is at home in my study.  Bookshelves all around, TV and small desk for PC and communication,  and all my pics and models on the walls for me to see. 

Originally, my new bench was 20" x 32" which was just not wide enough for me to manipulate freely.

Here the latest, and for me a  proven size,  20" deep and 48" wide shelf that can be tilted down as well if no project is available.  The shelves behind go up high, so lots of room for parts storage;

-IMG_1876.jpg.0256baad97f1275e0d42f68ae6f08219.jpg

Plenty of room, the ship is 3' long still room for a Proxxon handpiece and behind is a soldering station.  The hanging "apron" is good for catching all the junk that loves to fall down.

Just an idea, hope you get something decent worked out for you.

Michael

I may have posted this before, so if you recognize it, my apologies for the repeat.  I am very lucky.  This started as an empty single car garage in 2000 when we bought the house new.  Everything you see here, I build.  This houses not only my modeling, but my woodworking and general work shop.  Lots I would do different if I had a clean slate to start over, but just glad I have it. 

1 shop.jpg

15 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

A place for everything and everything in it's place.  Right were I left it!

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is and empty desk a sign of??:lol:

Funny thing is,  if the order of the boxes was changed, you'd see it immediately.

Great man cave.

My new workbench is mostly complete. The last of the modules are assembled and I'm in the process of filling them up...which looks like its going to take at least twice as long as it did to build the bloody things. I still have room to add some more modules down the road, but for now I have enough to keep me occupied. 

2v2uz9SmnxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki