Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Bailey's '71 El Camino

Art Laski

My father-in-law has a collection of some classic cars that he takes to car shows, and one of his friends who goes to car shows with him, Jim Bailey, has an excellent example of a 1971 El Camino. Jim's wife asked me if I would build a replica of his car as a gift for him, so that's what this build is all about.

There were a few challenges with this project. This first issue is that no model companies have ever made a '71 El Camino. The closest I found is a Jimmy Flintstone '72 El Camino resin body that uses the AMT '72 Chevelle as a donor kit. While this combination is close, there were a lot of modifications necessary to represent a '71, and then some more work to make it look like Jim's.

See the WIP here:

Here are some pics of the original.

IMG_4004-vi.jpg
IMG_4014-vi.jpg

IMG_4007-vi.jpg
IMG_4009-vi.jpg
IMG_7998-vi.jpg

IMG_7988-vi.jpg

IMG_7991-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

I really appreciate all the comments, guys! It wasn't as perfect to me as I would have hoped, but I guess I feel that way about every build. But Jim and his wife were ecstatic. His wife called it the best gift ever! I guess that's all that matters.

Chris Sobak, I failed to mention it above, which is a shame because your effort of support on this was instrumental, but thanks so much! I hope you get to build your '71 someday.