Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Supersonic has landed.

Pico

1 hour ago, Pico said:

Yo! Impalow! Got your Woodlites from Shapeways. Very nice, now what should I put them on? It's been rumored that someone is finally completing the Cord L29 that has been floating around the community for the last 15 years or more.

Pico,

Thanks for the nudge. My 1930 L-29 Phaeton Sedan is indeed on my list of "gotta get it done this year" projects. But no, it has not been 15 years. I got interested in building a Cord L-29 in 1978 and actively started working on the model in 1982. Given that I do not (and never have) see it as an abandoned project, it has to be one of the longest standing incomplete model projects in history.

Eric

saddlers cord.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Added photo.

One of my worries was how  prominent the 3d printed material layering would be on a chrome surface. With this material, only several light coats of primer and fine sanding will produce a surface that smooth enough for Alclad chrome.

DSCN8175.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone can PM me for the contact info of my 3d printer. He uses a resin printer which is fairly high resolution with a smooth surface which requires very little finish work. The drawback is that there are supports to the printed item that must be removed, sometimes leaving little "divots" on the surface.

ACME member Bill Cunningham offered to machine the wheels on his cnc milling machine, an offer I quickly jumped on. I designed the wheel in Sketchup and sent him the file. Picked the wheels up last weekend at our club meeting, no pics yet, but here is an image in computer.

Fiat 8V Supersonic wheel design in Sketchup 1 19 18.png

Lookin' good with the new wheels. Bill milled the knockoffs, too. Working on filing the door handles from aluminum today. 3d printed handles are too fragile. Maybe I need a centrifigal casting machine for small metal parts?

DSCN8185.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Eric Macleod said:

Pico,

Thanks for the nudge. My 1930 L-29 Phaeton Sedan is indeed on my list of "gotta get it done this year" projects. But no, it has not been 15 years. I got interested in building a Cord L-29 in 1978 and actively started working on the model in 1982. Given that I do not (and never have) see it as an abandoned project, it has to be one of the longest standing incomplete model projects in history.

Eric

saddlers cord.jpg

Last year I acquired the Mini-Exotics Cord L-29 Convertible coupe masters. They need a fair amount of rework and I do intend to kit it. I can't honestly say when that is going to happen but it will. It could take a few years.