Model Cars Magazine Forum

My second build, a '53 Chevy

T.Henry

This one was my second build. The first one I actually painted. Bought the kit used online. It was real cheap as the engine was missing.

I used rattle can automotive paint, and it was way too hot of a paint for the plastic, and it crazed the body a little. 

Also I lost the headlights, and replaced them with optional parts from my 1957 Ford kit. 

I left the interior in red plastic, as I had no more patience after two days trying to foil the body. Had to do it four times. 

I used a engine provided by one of the guys I met after I started modeling, and it's supposed to be '64 or '65 Chevy truck. Close enough^_^

Chevy '53 001.JPG

Chevy '53 002.JPG

Chevy '53 004.JPG

Chevy '53 005.JPG

Your foil work is great!  It certainly shows the work you put into getting it right.  And now you have the hang of it, the work will be easier and easier on each kit you build.  I love to do the foil. I've gotten very good at it, and I find it relaxing.  There is no one thing you can do to a model that shows instant results as well as BMF.

The engine appears to be from the AMT 1960 Chevy pickup.  The engine that came in your 1953 would look different, but this would be an upgrade that people would have done.

Keep on building!  Each model gets easier and easier as your skills improve.

I like it. 

Built two of those Chevrolets. Always loved them.

The original engine on the kit is the first Chevy six with full pressure oiling system. 

My grandfather was a die-hard Chevy guy. His favorite was the '51 Fleetline Deluxe. He had a dozen of those cars. He always would yank the stock engine and replace it with e '53 and newer Chevy six, that would last a lot longer with his lead foot. My grandad was not alone on going fast, at the time in Rio de Janeiro, everyone was into going faster than they should. His last one had a 261, with a custom intake manifold, and Webber carburetors. 

Since Duplicolor primer is not available in Brasil, try the Colorgin or Lukscolor white primer I told you about on the post about '40 Ford. It will protect the plastic. 

Thomas, for only your second model and a rebuild of someone else's mess at that, I think you've done an outstanding job on this 53 Chevy.  It's certainly something to be proud of especially with such a great job on your foil.  Hang in there and keep working on your basic skills and before long you'll be building awesome models and building your own creations and showing us old guys up!!!  Nice model,sir!!!?????????