Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the best car or truck you ever owned?

On 2/22/2018 at 11:56 PM, Agent G said:

Most fun? Probably the Lincoln's replacement, a 2017 Nissan Altima 3.5SL. 

My wife has a 3.5 SL too. It’s a great cruising car, really - I test drove the Maxima and Q37 before deciding on the larger, quieter, and more fuel efficient Altima. The AWD would have been nice on the Infiniti, but not the premium fuel and low mpg. 

I actually like the smooth feel of the CVT, which gets some complaints from others. 

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

My wife has a 3.5 SL too. It’s a great cruising car, really - I test drove the Maxima and Q37 before deciding on the larger, quieter, and more fuel efficient Altima. The AWD would have been nice on the Infiniti, but not the premium fuel and low mpg. 

I actually like the smooth feel of the CVT, which gets some complaints from others. 

I've already driven the Altima to LA and back and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The Maxima left me "less than impressed", not to mention it loses 30% of it's value at closing. Infinitis are great , but not for me. The CVT can take some adjustment, but I have no issues with it what so ever. I learned to roll on the gas as opposed to just mashing the pedal flat. The lil bugger will scoot then.

G   

I had a few different cars that were rock solid. My HHR panels (I had two) were pretty stone reliable. I had a 1983 Mercury Marquis Brougham wagon that was pretty good until it got so old I could not find parts for the old V6 in it, hence the HHRs. Many years back in the 70s I had a 1969 Buick Special V8 that took me to California from Wisconsin. I paid $50 for the car and it lasted a long time in Cali. An older lady I knew borrowed it to travel to LA and she loved it so much with it's power and thick padded wheel (she had a disease that caused her fingers to curl tight against her palms) , I just gave the car to her. After she passed, her son made a low rider with it and it's still around last I heard.  Now I have a GMC Terrain. Except for some check engine light troubles, it's been pretty good. It's pulling a 0010 code.

Edited by lordairgtar

• 3 weeks later...

My 1954 Chevy Belair (first car) was bullet proof!

My 2 65 Ford Falcon Vans. Put a lot of miles on them back in the "Hippie" days!

Had a lot of good dependable cars of all makes over the years.

The latest is our 2006 HHR. Bought used with 125000 miles and been driving it 5 years trouble free!

Best: 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, V-6, 5 spd. Bought it in 2003 for $1200. Currently has 302,000 miles, no leaks, knocks or pings and in 4 low it’ll climb a tree. Other than a starter, alternator and distributor no mechanical issues ever.

Favorite: My first. 1971 Dodge 2wd shortbed. 318 bored over, 4bbl on a high-rise edelbrock intake, Purple racing cam, 727 torque flite, Hurst ratchet shifter, Plymouth posi-trac rear end, dual pipes on headers with Thrush glass packs and the icing on the cake; an authentic Road Runner “beep beep” horn. Metallic charcoal gray, red pinstripe and a red leather bench seat that my mom re-upholstered herself for my 17th birthday.

#1 My 1971 Mustang Mach 1 351 4v. Four speed. Believe or not #2  was my 1975 Vega GT. This car was  blast to drive. I had no mechanical  problems with it.

NO I did not trade a Mach 1 for a Vega. I traded it for a 1973 Buick Regal.

Mike

Edited by Mike 1017
wrong word

I don't know about "best", but my favorite over the years was a '65 Dodge window van.  Slant 6, 3-on-the-tree, slow.  But it was a gas to drive, sitting over the front wheel with a nearly flat steering wheel.  Had a lot of good times in that rig!  Most reliable was a '71 Toyota PU, started every time even in Minnesota winters.  Most nostalgic, '53 F-100 just like my grandpa's.

67 Dodge.jpg

71 Toyota.jpg

53 Ford.jpg

Depends on the context.  First, truest love would be my first car, 1972 Buick Skylark Custom hardtop.  Most enjoyable drive would have been my 1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours.  Problem free would have been either the 1990 Crown Vic or my current 2009 Malibu.

As far as the best, it would be my Subaru WRX. But when it comes to favorite, definitely my old 1980 Chevy K30. Loved that truck to death. It had a 454 with a four speed manual. It was my favorite because it was my first vehicle and it's what kick started my love of fixing, and hating cars at the same time. Made a lot of memories in it and I was really sad to see it go.

20171010_151959.jpg