Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Monza--Completed 12/25/2018

10 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Snake, I hope I can inspire you to get your Monza out and work on it. Would enjoy seeing your vision!

Oh you are inspiring me all right. I know I can fix the broken corner but I'd really like to match the factory paint that's on the thing now because it's a cool color. If I get that far with it, not sure if I'd just declare it a restored promo or go ahead and Snake-Fu it with Silver Sharpie (or foil) trim, painted interior and details, etc. Oh, I just discovered the other day that it's also missing the rear bumper but that doesn't look too hard to make/fake. 

I have another one, too. Back in the '80s when I was driving that '76 Skyhawk, I started a Monza model to look just like it--white with blue interior. I never finished it but I seem to recall that I got pretty far along. I'll have to dig that thing out and see what it takes to kick it through the goalposts. B)

Today, I got some paint and valve stems on the wheels--still a lot to do, before they're finished, but, I like the color. It's Design Master Modern Metals "Metallic Taupe". I also got the dash panels cut and formed. Next up for that will be poking some holes in the faceplate for gauges, switches, etc. I shot some white primer on the exhaust dumps. I still need to paint their insides dark grey/brown/black, and dust them with a blend of powdered pastels. I will be washing/shading and highlighting the wheels, and dusting them, inside, with a pastel blend, along with some powdered graphite, to simulate brake dust.

IMG_3784cr.jpg

IMG_3791cr.jpg

IMG_3793cr.jpg

IMG_3795cr.jpg

IMG_3796cr.jpg

IMG_3797cr.jpg

IMG_3798cr.jpg

I've been playing around with gauges. I used photos from around the web for the gauge faces. The bezels are made from aluminum tubing. I have yet to install the lenses. I'm not thrilled with the engine turning on the panel, but it'll have to do, until I figure out a better way to accomplish it! I still need to add a few knobs and switches. This tool from Micro Mark was extremely helpful in cutting the bezels to thickness, as it has a bent rod that can be inserted  above the clamping slot, and adjusted to regulate the length of the tubing to be cut. It made it an absolute breeze!

Gauges 3.jpg

IMG_3807cr.jpg

IMG_2567.JPG

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Stance is right on and all the details are very sharp! What did you use to paint the lettering on the tires both paint wise and applicator wise?

Hi, Joe. Thanks for the kind words! Those are the AMT Parts Pack tires. They are beauties!

3 hours ago, James2 said:

If it were me I'd switch the green seat to driver, just to help it go faster! LoL, looks good though...

IMG_3798cr.jpg

Rooster, I think you have a point! I'll get that taken care of!grin

Looking very, VERY good! Your engine-turned dash panel is particularly impressive. 

You might be interested to know that, influenced by you and this build, I dug out the '77 Monza I started in the mid-'80s and dragged it across the finish line a couple weekends ago. Will post pics under glass as soon as I get time. Thanks for the inspiration! B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Looking very, VERY good! Your engine-turned dash panel is particularly impressive. 

You might be interested to know that, influenced by you and this build, I dug out the '77 Monza I started in the mid-'80s and dragged it across the finish line a couple weekends ago. Will post pics under glass as soon as I get time. Thanks for the inspiration! B)

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it! Thanks for the kind words re: the dash panel. I'd like the turned pattern to be more uniform, but, it does have the look.

8 hours ago, SSNJim said:

That is correct - the red seat goes on the port side, green on the starboard. Oh wait, that's navigation lights on a ship.

In that case, they are in the proper position! Same for aircraft. Guess I won't be switching them, after all!

I've put together a bunch of parts and pieces for the interior. I still need to clean up the roll bar, and cut openings in  the interior door panels for the door handles. Pictured here, you can see the NEW gauge panel--I am just about to add the ignition switch and the starter button. Also visible are the window cranks and armrests--it is still a street car, after all. That means the steering column will have the turn signal switch. I will add some corrugated piping just beneath the dash to provide heat on cooler days. I'm not 100% sold on the P.E. steering wheel, so that's pending. The floor has been covered with embossing powder because, even though I want to convey the image of a racer, I want it to be at least somewhat practical. I chose the leather-booted shifter because it has a more of a sports car flare, than, say, a Hurst...

IMG_3844cr.jpg

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843crre.jpg

I've been picking away at this interior. I had a set of photo-etched steering wheels from Detail Master, and opted for one of them, for this model. The dash is almost finished! I made the pedals from aluminum tubing, that I quartered, then  cut the sections to length, and sanded them to shape. They are mounted to arms made from .020" styrene sheet. I made door pulls from some soft aluminum foil/sheet in a drawer of scratchbuilding junk. Those are mounted to the door panel with a model RR rivet. Still a fair amount to do, but, figured I'd share the progress.

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the interior finished. I'm not happy with the heater control "panel", and I may get rid of it. Now, I can go on to the body! I thought I had a color chosen, but after seeing Snake's promo, I think I want to go with a brighter shade of green than I'd planned, if not quite that bright. I've been playing around with ideas for stripes, and have a few mocked up, but nothing concrete, yet. The grey "hoses" poking down under the dash are heater ducts. I got the idea for them from the gas station job I had in high school--We did full service and washes, etc. I was cleaning a car from the oil field, and they'd spliced into the factory ducts, and had attached a pair of corrugated hoses, that laid along the trans hump, and emerged in the rear floorboard from under the front seat. I thought it was a pretty ingenious way to transfer heat to the rear passengers! So, that's the inspiration for that. Comments/questions as always welcome!

IMG_3863cr.jpg

IMG_3865cr.jpg

IMG_3866cr.jpg

IMG_3869cr.jpg

IMG_3871cr.jpg

IMG_3872cr.jpg

That looks fantastic! I wish I had the patience, or the desire, or the attention span, to do interiors that well. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. 

In other news, remember that green '76 Monza promo I want to restore? On a whim yesterday I bought a rattlecan of Testor Lime Ice and the color is a near perfect match. Only problem is, it's way too flaky/sparkly to match what's on the model. But I might use it on the rubber portions of the bumpers you sent me, and then dullcoat them, which I know from testing cuts the sparkle WAY back. The dullness might not be too noticeable on the bumpers. 

I might experiment with decanting some of the stuff and see if the flakes settle to the bottom over time, they way they do with Testor little bottle metalflakes. 

Couple weeks ago I bought a little bottle of Testor Gloss Bright Lime, but it turns out to not be very lime-y at all. It actually bears some resemblance to '69 Ford Silver Jade (which could be a happy coincidence for me). Gonna try mixing some of that with Turn Signal Amber to see if I can get it a bit "limier." The search con-TIN-ues....

Thanks again for those bumpers! B)

No sweat, man! They were just gonna' keep sitting in that box of parts, so, somebody might as well use them! I like the idea of dulling the finish on the rubber sections of the bumper. I'm looking forward to finding a color that matches my vision for the car. My search may be as involved as yours! I have a couple of ideas regarding the headlights, taillights and the front running lights/turn signals, but have a bit of experimentation to do, first. Thanks for your kind words!

Got a bunch of sanding done, and got the body in primer, so I can see what I've missed! I'm surprised that MPC didn't get the line between the fender and the cowl. I am debating whether or not I'll attempt to scribe them, but, if I know me...I am going to open up the side marker lights and install a lens made from the materials shown. The amber is a tab from a piece of amber sprue from an AMT truck kit. I sanded off the ID numbers, and polished it up. The reflective material is foil liner from a hard pack of cigarettes. I gathered a fair amount of it years ago, when Don Fahrni used it to wrap a chute pack. I will likely use it under the taillights (where appropriate), as well. I also got the front spoiler and body drilled, so the spoiler can be pinned to the body--more on that in the next update.

IMG_3885cr.jpg

IMG_3884cr.jpg

IMG_3882cr.jpg

IMG_3873cr.jpg

IMG_3875cr.jpg

Thanks, Rooster! Just a few shots with the body in primer, and the interior in (temporarily). The spoilers really help the overall look of the theme. Shouldn't be too long until paint--once I decide what color I want it, and get out to find some, which will likely be Wednesday. Comments/questions always welcome!

IMG_3887cr.jpg

IMG_3888cr.jpg

IMG_3889cr.jpg

IMG_3890cr.jpg

IMG_3891cr.jpg

IMG_3894cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to 1975 Chevy Monza One Headlight Assembly Done 07/28/18