Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Round2 '57 Fantasy Parts Pack

The one model car related item in their March product update video. Basically some of the custom accessories from the 57 Ford kit with plating even where you probably don't need or want it. Chrome bucket seats anyone? Oh and some white wall tires.

Screenshot_20180305-122509.png

Screenshot_20180305-122518.png

32 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

....with plating even where you probably don't need or want it.

Might as well go the whole nine yards and plate the tires. That would really make your entry at NNL/IPMS stand out among the competition.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Pretty boring..and the tires have been previously available in the whitewall tire parts pack, I assume? 

They look like old mold tires with gold stripe and wide whites?

Overall, this looks like a useless pack. Lakepipes, hub caps, and bumperettes?

I'll have to disagree with Chad's usual product hype.

There is NOTHING cool about this. In fact it is vaguely sad. This looks to me, like a "Throw it at the wall, and see what sticks" move. Come on you guys, you can do better than this. I'll wait to see what is shown next month.

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Yeah, it’s not even original! Aoshima already beat AMT to it...

Not sure if your comment was made in jest or not, but as Rob mentioned, it wasn't the only kit in which chrome plated seats were included:

WP_20180305_062.thumb.jpg.c0e77119fd7507f721470aed9760def4.jpgWP_20180305_063.thumb.jpg.2f1e45f50ffde4f61c416a0ccbf91f8f.jpg

Looking at on original issue AMT '57 Ford Fairlane on eBay, the optional seats are not plated, so now I'm wondering which kit the seats in the '57 Fantasy Parts Pack are modeled after, if they are even based on a set of kit seats. The white seat in the pics above appears to be from an AMT '57 Ford Fairlane kit, but the seats in the parts pack look slightly different to me.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Not sure if your comment was made in jest or not, but as Rob mentioned, it wasn't the only kit in which chrome plated seats were included:

WP_20180305_062.thumb.jpg.c0e77119fd7507f721470aed9760def4.jpgWP_20180305_063.thumb.jpg.2f1e45f50ffde4f61c416a0ccbf91f8f.jpg

Looking at on original issue AMT '57 Ford Fairlane on eBay, the optional seats are not plated, so now I'm wondering which kit the seats in the '57 Fantasy Parts Pack are modeled after, if they are even based on a set of kit seats. The white seat in the pics above appears to be from an AMT '57 Ford Fairlane kit, but the seats in the parts pack look slightly different to me.

Actually I went down to the workshop tonight and opened up my reissue Flashback 57 Ford kit tonight and voila, all the parts pack stuff minus the useless plating are present. My guess is Round2 ran more of these retooled parts (in a separate tool) than they needed and are trying to blow them out. They shoulda just opened all the gates On the 57 Chevy.

20180305_213511.jpg

6 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Actually I went down to the workshop tonight and opened up my reissue Flashback 57 Ford kit tonight and voila, all the parts pack stuff minus the useless plating are present. My guess is Round2 ran more of these retooled parts (in a separate tool) than they needed and are trying to blow them out. They shoulda just opened all the gates On the 57 Chevy.

20180305_213511.jpg

Oh good! I'm glad to they are included in the '57 Fairlane kit where they belong. I was understanding this was not case, and thought it was a little tacky that Round 2 would then sell the part separately. Despite that. I still have no interest in the set separately. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, Dave Darby said:

20180305_213511.jpg

So, this begs the question, are these parts newly tooled, or did they just open the gates on the 57 tooling?

If these parts are newly tooled then I have no problem with Round2 selling them separate from the kit to help pay for the tooling expenditure.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

So, this begs the question, are these parts newly tooled, or did they just open the gates on the 57 tooling?

The chromed parts on the right (pipes, baby moon caps, etc.) are-- the outer perimeter runner radii are prefect, the gates for the individual pieces are different then in previous issues in which the same parts were included, and the parts arrangement is different, too.

The seats and rear roll pan pieces appear to be "old" parts-- you can see where the sprue was snipped with a cutting tool, so perhaps Round2 decided to cut these parts free from the rest, anticipating them being plated, and included the seats to fill out the parts pack package?

Looking at the original Trophy Series instruction sheet, the rear roll pan was not chrome plated. Maybe someone thought it was a bumper piece of some sort?

Original Trophy Series chrome plated parts for comparison:

amt57fordchrome.thumb.jpg.a96c0dad969b01381e8806eb033afeab.jpg

Edited by Casey