Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bullitt

Pat Minarick

Trying to build the Bullitt mustang from the Revell 68 Mustang kit. The front end didn't fit the body very well. I glued to the body and started carving and sanding. Got it looking much better. I'm guessing that this was a die-cast originally. Going to be a lot of work to make it look right.20180401_165116.thumb.jpg.e5eda50dbaf9528fa99af0df34316787.jpg20180401_165126.thumb.jpg.78a776bcd4509ed360a9edbc53c8cb5b.jpg I'm using the front suspension from a 65 Mustang,  I used the one from this kit on my Cougar fatback.20180401_165155.thumb.jpg.153a9146b1ce1fce46bd6514156ad1f3.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

25 minutes ago, geemoney said:

man, I can hear Frank double clutchin, or double gassin, whatever........

keep building!!!

I'm still trying to figure out why the "REAL " one that showed up ! Doesn't match to one in the movie. I think it has a rectangler mirror , unpainted rocker trim, I don't think the taillights panel is blacked out , and it has cut out in the rear valance. In the movie it has a solid valance and turned down exhaust? You can see it clearly in the chase.

5 minutes ago, geemoney said:

oh yeah, the one found in mexico.

usually there is like 2-3 used in filming, and they are rarely indentical I suppose.

the one Chad had built is soooo cool too, albeit small block powered I believe.

No not that one,but that is probably the one I building!   I mean the one that just showed up that was debuted with the 2018 50th  anniversary Bullitt edition Mustang at the auto show.

A handful of Mustang journalists and enthusiasts knew about the hero car (not the Mexican one used in the driving scenes) but the owner never wanted his name or location of the car known.  We know the story now - the father died and the son said this is dumb why keep the car hidden anymore.   The cas appears to be mostly original but a part here and there was probably replaced or stolen.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, Pat Minarick said:

I'm still trying to figure out why the "REAL " one that showed up ! Doesn't match to one in the movie. I think it has a rectangler mirror , unpainted rocker trim, I don't think the taillights panel is blacked out , and it has cut out in the rear valance. In the movie it has a solid valance and turned down exhaust? You can see it clearly in the chase.

Here is a good writeup on the history/timeline of the recently found Bullitt Mustang (the car present at '18 Bullitt debut) that might clear up some of the discrepancies.

Brad Bowling - Bullitt Mustang #559 Revealed

The mirror, for example - in an interview, the second owner of the car says, "In the movie, my car had a small round mirror on the driver’s door... but when I got the car, it had a square mirror." A few changes occurred when the car was given a minor refurb at the end of filming, plus its received some repairs throughout its life.

• 7 months later...

Finally got the body looking a lot better . Alot of sink marks from this a die-cast . I removed the vent windows and made new thinner ones , about a third the thickness of the kits. I think I have the suspension setting about right. Going to start painting this week.20181125_222339.thumb.jpg.d709fc5129a395e5a6473cb8a7014d42.jpg

20181125_222906.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

On 4/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, Pat Minarick said:

The Bullitt Mustang was repainted and returned to a "stock" appearance before it was sold to a Warner Bros. employee.  It was sold to a Sheriff's Deputy who sold it several years later to the son's father who kept the car and tried to rebuild the car after he had taken it apart, just before his death from Parkinson's.  The son plans to keep the car as it is.  No restoration.  The current value of the car is probably in the millions given its provenance.  The round mirror was removed and the rectangular mirror was returned to the door.  The rocker trim was  returned to stock appearance.  I believe the rear valance cutouts were always there, but the black exhaust tips don't highlight them like they were with chrome tips.  And the exhaust tips were bevel cut and went straight back.  No turn downs!  I hope this helps you, Pat!   

24 minutes ago, mrmike said:

The Bullitt Mustang was repainted and returned to a "stock" appearance before it was sold to a Warner Bros. employee.  It was sold to a Sheriff's Deputy who sold it several years later to the son's father who kept the car and tried to rebuild the car after he had taken it apart, just before his death from Parkinson's.  The son plans to keep the car as it is.  No restoration.  The current value of the car is probably in the millions given its provenance.  The round mirror was removed and the rectangular mirror was returned to the door.  The rocker trim was  returned to stock appearance.  I believe the rear valance cutouts were always there, but the black exhaust tips don't highlight them like they were with chrome tips.  And the exhaust tips were bevel cut and went straight back.  No turn downs!  I hope this helps you, Pat!   

Thanks ,figured a bunch of these thing out. I think the confusion I'm having  is that both cars are not the same. In some scenes there is no mirror, and in the case there's a clear view of the rear of the car it has no cutouts on the valance. I'm just planning on finishing it up with what I've got started. As bad as this body was I wish I had just built in the unrestored look.

Just so you know, there were two cars ordered from Ford just for this movie.  Serial numbers 558 and 559.  559 is the hero car and 558 was the "jump" car as I call it.  The 558 was found in Mexico and was totally trashed and is now in the process of being rebuilt.  559 is owned by Sean Kiernan who inherited the car from his father and is what I consider to be a barn find or not restored-98% original.  It is possible that 558 had a straight rear valance panel and 559 had the cut outs, but we shall never know.  Build your model your way and be proud of it.  IMHO, either way is correct!  

I'm sure the Marti reports and Eminger invoices would show what the cars came with if it was an extra cost or standard option.  The VIN's have been authenticated and we know one car was left for scrap and the other one was modified by a few owners becasue they were just used cars worth a little more than a non movie one.   Fifty years later they are worth seven figures easy.

IMG_3286.JPG

On 11/27/2018 at 3:39 PM, mrmike said:

Just so you know, there were two cars ordered from Ford just for this movie.  Serial numbers 558 and 559.  559 is the hero car and 558 was the "jump" car as I call it.  The 558 was found in Mexico and was totally trashed and is now in the process of being rebuilt.  559 is owned by Sean Kiernan who inherited the car from his father and is what I consider to be a barn find or not restored-98% original.  It is possible that 558 had a straight rear valance panel and 559 had the cut outs, but we shall never kno.  Build your model your way and be proud of it.  IMHO, either way is correct!  

That's the plan, just going buy the details I can get from the movie.  I was wondering if there was any information on what colors the cars were from the factory? Is the Highland Green a factory color. I would be a cool detail to add two different colors of overspray to the bottom of the car.

Looked it up , guess it was a factory color , wonder why they painted the rocker trim.

Edited by Pat Minarick

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 12:40 AM, Pat Minarick said:

That's the plan, just going buy the details I can get from the movie.  I was wondering if there was any information on what colors the cars were from the factory? Is the Highland Green a factory color. I would be a cool detail to add two different colors of overspray to the bottom of the car.

Looked it up , guess it was a factory color , wonder why they painted the rocker trim.

The rocker trim must have been painted to reflect how Frank Bullitt would have had the car.  The car had been "roughed up" with some sandpaper and dented here and there by Builder Max Balchowsky and the 390 CID engine modified.  

7 hours ago, mrmike said:

The rocker trim must have been painted to reflect how Frank Bullitt would have had the car.  The car had been "roughed up" with some sandpaper and dented here and there by Builder Max Balchowsky and the 390 CID engine modified.  

Yes the car wasn't perfect and shinny and mine will probably be to shinny too?  I'm building this one for a friend,so I want it to be nice.  I picked up a second kit a few days ago and that one will be built as it is now.

6 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I had no idea these had go up so much in value.  The car is okay but not worth this much.

Wow that is pretty high in price.Maybe if it was 1/18th scale,I would pay that price,but not 1/36 scale.

Edited by NYLIBUD