Model Cars Magazine Forum

cobramike

finally finished this yesterday. Hope it is up to standards here. 
Paint is  from the good guys at TCP. Name is Calypso Coral. It was one of the very few colors that was available on the 70' Boss 429.
Any comments good or bad are always welcome.  

20180401_100038 (1).jpg

20180401_100058.jpg

20180401_100132.jpg

20180401_100218.jpg

20180401_100239.jpg

20180401_100323.jpg

20180401_095520.jpg

20180401_095603.jpg

20180401_095638.jpg

19 hours ago, donb said:

Like that color. Engine bay is nicely done too. That rear wheel looks a little off?  Very nice model. 

I see it is like that in the pic but for some reason it looks straight in person. When I was looking at the pic before I posted it I was LIKE WTF is wrong here.  Going back looking at it again and measuring it to see if there is something I am not seeing.
Thanks for catching it.

17 hours ago, vamach1 said:

If you are going for accuracy the scoop on 70 9's was black.  The 69's were body color.  Also, check out pics of 70 tail lights online and how the rear spoiler is mounted.

IMG_2322.PNG

Your right, the 70's had the black scoops.  I had it attached prior to shooting the color and forgot to mask it so I just left it the way it was. The tail lights...were a total pai. There was no bezels, lenses, no backing etc with  the kit, got a bezel/bumper from online request then I filled the bezels in with some Bob Smith glue didn't realize till after the glue had set up that the lenses are inset, not flush.  The spoiler is a weird one, it looks like it was made for a Trans Am or Datsun, the fin is not right on the edges. Notice hot the back of the fin is angled similar to the front leading edge in your 1:1 pic, were the kit's is straight. I probably should have cut the angle but...well there is always next time.

3 hours ago, cobramike said:

Your right, the 70's had the black scoops.  I had it attached prior to shooting the color and forgot to mask it so I just left it the way it was. The tail lights...were a total pai. There was no bezels, lenses, no backing etc with  the kit, got a bezel/bumper from online request then I filled the bezels in with some Bob Smith glue didn't realize till after the glue had set up that the lenses are inset, not flush.  The spoiler is a weird one, it looks like it was made for a Trans Am or Datsun, the fin is not right on the edges. Notice hot the back of the fin is angled similar to the front leading edge in your 1:1 pic, were the kit's is straight. I probably should have cut the angle but...well there is always next time.

The front edge of the spoiler is straight.  Because it tapers down it looks angled.  This is the correct mounting.  It is adjustable on the real car - I prefer it to be horizontal versus being slanted.  If I had a dollar for every one I have seen backwards I might have $20.

IMG_2323.PNG

14 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The front edge of the spoiler is straight.  Because it tapers down it looks angled.  This is the correct mounting.  It is adjustable on the real car - I prefer it to be horizontal versus being slanted.  If I had a dollar for every one I have seen backwards I might have $20.

IMG_2323.PNG

Good pic of the way it should be. Thanks

On 4/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, Renegade said:

Very nice Boss. Have one in the hole, makes me want to get it started.

Thanks for the compliment.
lol, just started a new one. this one is going to be grabber Blue, more detailed this time around. 

2 hours ago, cobramike said:

Thanks for the compliment.
lol, just started a new one. this one is going to be grabber Blue, more detailed this time around. 

You may want to glue on the side mirrors before painting the body.  Also, paint the Front edge of the hod chrome.  Perhaps use the mototow chrome pen and mask off the area.  Here is one I built about 30 years ago hence a lot of orange peel before sanding sheets and polishes became popular.

image.jpg

Edited by vamach1

Thanks for the tip, the mirrors...spaced out doing that, again...as you can see by the pics of this one I left the mirrors off. Not what I wanted to do but the kit I bought had been opened and some parts were missing including the mirrors.

Yours is nice looking, good job on it. 

If you haven't figured it out yet, Rex (vamach1) is kind of the official unoffical Mustang expert around here. If you ever have a Mustang question, he WILL have the answer, and it WILL be correct!

:)

i like the build, even though I don't get particularly excited by Mustangs. Bright colours just look "right" on this generation.