Model Cars Magazine Forum

Positives to come from the Revell Deal?

1 hour ago, Brett Barrow said:

*cough*Panamera*cough* 

And the new 29/30 Fords. The Slingster too. 

One positive I am hoping for is that Round 2 gets a huge sales bump so that some of the vintage kits they have in the archives can be freshened up and released. 

Edited by Draggon

5 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

Well, whats been said here about Ferrari kits for sure.  Wouldn't that SWB release be awesome!!!

I'm excited and hope it's not premature.

Yeah, awesome it would be, but unfortunately I do not see how this turn of events could positively influence Ferrari licensing which Revell no longer has...

3 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Yeah, awesome it would be, but unfortunately I do not see how this turn of events could positively influence Ferrari licensing which Revell no longer has...

They would have the financial ability to obtain one again. It can't be THAT expensive, Fujimi kept theirs after all. Right now the only two companies that have an active Ferrari licensing are Tamiya & Fujimi.

8 hours ago, Brett Barrow said:

*cough*Panamera*cough* 

Are we coughing because you agree or disagree? Because the Panamera might be decently rendered in terms of proportions, the actual tooling on it is rife with the evidence of how much of a strangle hold on cash Illinois was putting on things. The sink marks, parts of the kit that seem engraved by a separate team than the rest of the kit, the start and then total abortion of engraving the adaptive cruise/lane change/rear park system...

Every kit that wasn't actively under development when Hobbico bought Revell GmbH is a ghost of a kit when compared to what the former management had going on with the DTM kits, Beetles, Golfs, 2CV, Mini Coopers, Trabant, SLS AMG, 918s & i8. Since the new management team has directed kit development from scratch and lurched things into being "easier" - the parts count has dropped, things are molded in bright dayglo colors, and the parts are tooled in an awkward manner. They went to Knockin' on Tamiya's back porch to...ehhh this is allllright...I guess...it's not terrible, but it's not what we were getting in the 5yrs prior.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Are we coughing because you agree or disagree? Because the Panamera might be decently rendered in terms of proportions, the actual tooling on it is rife with the evidence of how much of a strangle hold on cash Illinois was putting on things. The sink marks, parts of the kit that seem engraved by a separate team than the rest of the kit, the start and then total abortion of engraving the adaptive cruise/lane change/rear park system...

Every kit that wasn't actively under development when Hobbico bought Revell GmbH is a ghost of a kit when compared to what the former management had going on with the DTM kits, Beetles, Golfs, 2CV, Mini Coopers, Trabant, SLS AMG, 918s & i8. Since the new management team has directed kit development from scratch and lurched things into being "easier" - the parts count has dropped, things are molded in bright dayglo colors, and the parts are tooled in an awkward manner. They went to Knockin' on Tamiya's back porch to...ehhh this is allllright...I guess...it's not terrible, but it's not what we were getting in the 5yrs prior.

The proverbial nail....which leads to, with Hobbico out of the way, will they go back to knocking on Tamiya's back door?

I hope they will....

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

They would have the financial ability to obtain one again. It can't be THAT expensive, Fujimi kept theirs after all. Right now the only two companies that have an active Ferrari licensing are Tamiya & Fujimi.

Thank you for your reply, but I still don't see the logic of it... As far as I know, the original licensing issue was mainly to do with the German branch of Revell, not the US one, anyway... Ferrari obviously wants too much money, and Revell cannot or doesn't want to pay it. I just don't see how this situation would change Revell's financial ability, as you say, especially now that they have spent a lot of money on the merger... But here's hoping that I am wrong, and you are right, and that we will see the SWB and other Ferrari kits from Revell in the foreseeable future :D

5 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Thank you for your reply, but I still don't see the logic of it... As far as I know, the original licensing issue was mainly to do with the German branch of Revell, not the US one, anyway...

Revell and RoG were both owned by Hobbico for the last few years. Hence, RoG was also obviously constrained by Hobbico's capital issues, which may explain not being able to retain the Ferrari rights.

I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REVELL, MONOGRAM, OR TOM DANIELS BUY IT NOW, AS YOU SEE IT. IF THE MODEL PRICES INCREASE YOU ARE AT BREAK EVEN. IF THAT SPECIAL MODEL WILL NOT BE PRODUCED, YOU WILL HAVE IT BEFORE THE "RARE" SELLERS GET THEM ON E-BAY AND TRY TO GET BIG DOLLARS FOR THEM. THIS WILL CAUSE A LOWER SUPPLY OF REVELL/MONO MODELS OUT THERE. LOWER SUPPLY= HIGHER MODEL PRICES FOR ALL. REVELL GERMANY OR WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED NOW, WILL BENEFIT AS THE DEMAND FOR NEW, OLD AND REISSUES WILL BE THERE BECAUSE OF THE SHORTAGE!!!!!! COMMENTS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( UNLESS WE FLOOD THE MARKET WITH A SALE OFTHE EXTRA KITS IN OUR STASH.) THE GERMANS WILL DO THIS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Thank you for your reply, but I still don't see the logic of it... As far as I know, the original licensing issue was mainly to do with the German branch of Revell, not the US one, anyway... Ferrari obviously wants too much money, and Revell cannot or doesn't want to pay it. I just don't see how this situation would change Revell's financial ability, as you say, especially now that they have spent a lot of money on the merger... But here's hoping that I am wrong, and you are right, and that we will see the SWB and other Ferrari kits from Revell in the foreseeable future :D

I believe the issue was one that with Ferrari they had to have licensing for RevellAG to do the kit to begin with AND have one for them to sell the kits into North America.  We've seen several occasions were RevellAG kit have not been re-boxed by Revell USA because of "licensing issues" (aka money issues) with things like the SLS AMG & AMG GT, McLaren 570S, the Golf & Beetle Cabrio, etc etc.  All of which has less to do with the modeling world as it does with all of the 1:1 auto makers and their lawyers vs. Hobbico encumbered Revell not wanting to pay for anything because it was too busy hemorrhaging cash into the R/C pit of doom.

13 hours ago, paul alflen said:

I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REVELL, MONOGRAM, OR TOM DANIELS BUY IT NOW, AS YOU SEE IT. IF THE MODEL PRICES INCREASE YOU ARE AT BREAK EVEN. IF THAT SPECIAL MODEL WILL NOT BE PRODUCED, YOU WILL HAVE IT BEFORE THE "RARE" SELLERS GET THEM ON E-BAY AND TRY TO GET BIG DOLLARS FOR THEM. THIS WILL CAUSE A LOWER SUPPLY OF REVELL/MONO MODELS OUT THERE. LOWER SUPPLY= HIGHER MODEL PRICES FOR ALL. REVELL GERMANY OR WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED NOW, WILL BENEFIT AS THE DEMAND FOR NEW, OLD AND REISSUES WILL BE THERE BECAUSE OF THE SHORTAGE!!!!!! COMMENTS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( UNLESS WE FLOOD THE MARKET WITH A SALE OFTHE EXTRA KITS IN OUR STASH.) THE GERMANS WILL DO THIS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go off the caps lock, typing in all capital letters is considered as shouting on internet and forums.

1 hour ago, Force said:

Please go off the caps lock, typing in all capital letters is considered as shouting on internet and forums.

Håkan, from what I've understand Paul has a medical condition, which makes it hard for him to cap uncap IIRC

Paul, maybe it's easier to just uncap meaning using no capital letter, would that work for you? (all caps is difficult to read, qnd is considered shouting in internet lingo)

Thanks