Model Cars Magazine Forum

`81 Turbo Trans Am - MPC Trophy series, Year One inspired

Hawk312

Built from the rare `81 Turbo Trans Am kit from 1986. It is hard to believe, but all the original light bulbs work! 

Lots of little modifications made to this one...quite a few "corrections." The details are typical MPC of that area (rough in some spots) and I am not a fan of working doors, so I glued them shut. The rear tail lights from the kit were completely wrong anyway, so I decided to get creative. 

The Year One wheels were 3 printed from my own drawings. The tires were cast from a modified RC car tire. Lots of details added to the engine, which was a little sparse, but still complex with the turbo set up. As you can imagine, the big bird was fun to to get just perfect. 

Let me know what you think.

TApic01.jpg

TApic02.jpg

TApic03.jpg

TApic04.jpg

TApic05.jpg

TApic06.jpg

TApic07.jpg

Spectacular! My first thought was "I'll be impressed if he manages to get it to look just like the reference photo"...then I realized I was looking at the model. Wow, haha.

Very clean work, and the 3D printed wheels look fantastic. Great under-hood detailing too. Trans Ams aren't really my thing, but a beautifully built model of a Trans Am definitely is!

Thanks guys!

9 minutes ago, om617 said:

Wow that looks wonderful. Is this 1:25?

This is the 1/16 kit. Basically the same as the kit just released by Round 2, but with the turbo parts. I can`t find the kit anywhere now. It was funny, when I received the kit, it had the original Allied Hobbies sticker on it from 1987. I think the price was $26.99. That was alot of $$ back then even for a 1/16 kit.